Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → Opinions on Yngwie?
Opinions on Yngwie?
2004-02-28, 6:32 AM #1
What do you all think of Yngwie Malmsteen?

Personally, I think he gets a lot more hate than he deserves. Nobody can deny that he's very technically talented. At this moment there are some guitarists (Rusty Cooley, Michael Angelo and the like) who probably have better chops, but that really doesn't matter. People attack him saying that his music isn't innovative. Of course, Rising Force was more innovative than his other albums. Regardless, he still defines the neoclassical metal genre. He's also attacked on grounds of not having any soul to his music, that he just shreds. I think he makes an excellent combination of the two, the solo from Far Beyond the Sun is a great example. The one thing I would agree with is that he has a gigantic ego. I think that's a flaw, but so are many other rock stars. So though I don't like him on a personal level, I find him to be rational (read the stuff he has to say on his website) and a good musician.

------------------
Capitalization
Commas
Periods
Question Marks
Apostrophes
Confusable Words
Plague Words
Capitalization
Commas
Periods
Question Marks
Apostrophes
Confusable Words
Plague Words
2004-02-28, 6:35 AM #2
Never heard of him, myself.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-28, 6:36 AM #3
Yeah, he's good at the guitar. But so what? He doesn't play good music. It just sounds like haphazard noodling to me. The stuff he plays doesn't really go anywhere, it's just weedely weedely weedely weedely, end of song. His ego doesn't help. Where I come from, the music is more important than the playing ability, though playing ability is also held in high regards.
2004-02-28, 8:13 AM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by powertickle:
Yeah, he's good at the guitar. But so what? He doesn't play good music. It just sounds like haphazard noodling to me. The stuff he plays doesn't really go anywhere, it's just weedely weedely weedely weedely, end of song. His ego doesn't help. Where I come from, the music is more important than the playing ability, though playing ability is also held in high regards.</font>

But what I'm saying is that some of his music is pretty good, especially the older stuff.

------------------
Capitalization
Commas
Periods
Question Marks
Apostrophes
Confusable Words
Plague Words
Capitalization
Commas
Periods
Question Marks
Apostrophes
Confusable Words
Plague Words
2004-02-28, 9:31 AM #5
I personally don't know much about him. I just found out about him last year when I noticed he was doing G3 with Satriani. Then I started checking out some of his stuff...
I don't think his skills are up to par with Satriani, but he does play good. And I agree with lordvader... his older stuff is better.

My personal favorite thus far is Blitzkrieg. That song kicks!

------------------
"Life is like a vending machine, sometimes you don't get nothing."
Lyrics are highly overrated.
2004-02-28, 3:45 PM #6
i just think he's insane

and his stage rig is equally insane

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-02-29, 4:38 AM #7
Malmsteen! [http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/cool2.gif]

------------------