Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → Anyone listen to Joe Satriani? Metallica does.
Anyone listen to Joe Satriani? Metallica does.
2004-02-24, 7:17 PM #1
Anyone listen to Satriani here... besides me?
If not, I shall commense converting you. 80% of the people I've introduced to his music have become big fans. He plays guitar, completely instrumental... his guitar does all of the singing.

For those of you missing out, try these songs...
Belly Dancer
Chords of Life
Devil's Slide
Love Thing
Mind Storm
Satch Boogie
Seven String
Midnight
Time
What Breaks A Heart

PS - Joe Satriani taught the following peoples...
Metallica's Kirk Hammett, Counting Crow's David Bryson, and jazz fusionist Charlie Hunter

------------------
"Life is like a vending machine, sometimes you don't get nothing."
Lyrics are highly overrated.
2004-02-24, 7:21 PM #2
He's talented no doubt there... but not a big fan. Anyone can play guitar.

------------------
please
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-02-24, 7:22 PM #3
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Schming:
Anyone can play guitar.</font>

Radiohead said it, so it has to be true.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-02-25, 2:49 AM #4
Yes, I have been listening to Joe Satriani lately. He surely makes good instrumental music.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-02-25, 9:06 AM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
Radiohead said it, so it has to be true.

</font>

Haha. I hate you Spork, in a healthy righteous sort of way.

------------------
please
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-02-25, 11:21 AM #6
i've heard Midnight... he plays complex guitar.

Its alrght i guess.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-02-25, 5:18 PM #7
IMO, he sucks. I hear great chops, but that's it.

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-02-25, 6:09 PM #8
Amazing guitar.. I love how its instremental also, no lyrics to screw it all up:P

------------------
"It's OK for us to randomly attack people!"
-BV

o.0
2004-02-27, 3:58 PM #9
I think he's a great guitarist. He has killer chops but his skill goes far beyond that, what I value more about him is his musical talent and how innovative he is. He's not just a guitarist, he's a musician.

------------------
Capitalization
Commas
Periods
Question Marks
Apostrophes
Confusable Words
Plague Words
Capitalization
Commas
Periods
Question Marks
Apostrophes
Confusable Words
Plague Words
2004-02-27, 6:26 PM #10
I'm one of the biggest Satriani fans out there, and I betcha I know stuff you may not. His Flying in a Blue Dream album is not entirely intrumental. I Believe is one of his best songs that actually contain lyrics. And yes, of course Metallica listens to Satriani. Kirk Hammet was his guitar student for a while. The same as Steve Vai.

Go to Satriani's Official Site and catch the news of all of his latest projects coming out this year! Including another G3 album, and a new studio album!

------------------
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

[url="mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net"]mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net[/url]Bruintone@netscape.net</A>
Yahoo! Name : jedibruintone77

[This message has been edited by Snake-Eyes (edited February 27, 2004).]

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

My Canada includes Beavers.
2004-02-28, 4:56 AM #11
Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes him here. I'm very familiar with Satriani's site. The first concert I went to was Satriani. I was going to go to G3 last year, but my schedule didn't allow for it... and man do I regret that. I was real curious to hear Yngwie Malmsteen play too. That guy is really talented too [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

I can't wait til April 13 for the new album "Is There Love In Space?"
Wonder if it's going to be like Engines of Creation... hmmm...

------------------
2004-02-29, 1:55 AM #12
Bummer man. I so badly need to go to a Satriani concert. I live in Calgary, Alberta, but do you think he'll ever bring his tour up here? No. The closest he's been is Vancouver. And that's quite a drive for me. Sad. My favorite guitarist and I can't even see him live.

Sure I have his Live in San Francisco DVD, but it's not the same, you know?

------------------

[url="mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net"]mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net[/url]Bruintone@netscape.net</A>
Yahoo! Name : jedibruintone77

My Canada includes Beavers.
2004-03-01, 2:59 AM #13
I've been a Satriani fan for a while, got nearly all the CD's. A question for the more hardcore fans - I have all albums except "engines of creation". I heard he didn't use live drums to record this - but a drum machine. Now I like my music real, so I was turned off from the very start after hearing about a drum machine. Is the album worth getting? Which album is it comparable to?
Also, is it worth getting the DVD?
2004-03-01, 3:57 AM #14
I haven't seen the DVD, so I can't say anything about that.

As for Engines of Creation... I think you may be right about the synthesized drums. But considering the style of the album it ends up working out very well. 'Engines of Creation' is the answer to the question "What would happen if Joe Satriani merged with someone who plays electronica/ambient techno?" While the style is very different, each track is still very unique and very detailed. A lot of work went into each song. I seriously recommend checking out 'Devil's Slide', as this is the first Satriani song I heard and the song that got me hooked.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!