Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → Questions about playing guitar with internet instructions
Questions about playing guitar with internet instructions
2004-03-31, 2:12 PM #1
I'll admit I don't remember how to read most of the notes from paper, but I can jsut re-teach/refresh my memory. I know about 10-20 chords, I just don't remember all the names for them. I also learned about 10 songs in my guitar class last year and I remember about 4 of them. I want to know how to play this, and I am having some troube understanding the significance of the numbers on the page.

http://cremesti.com/La_Dolce_Vita/guitar_tabs/cancion_del_mariachi_tab.htm

I assume they're notes? This can't be the neck of the guitar in this diagram, can it? Can someone please explain how to play this for me, as I am feeling a bit lost. Just get me started. I've never played from internet instructions before.

BTW, yes, I'm playing on a classical nylon guitar. It's all I have :P.

Thank you,
-Veg

------------------
This signiture agrees completely with the previously posted signuture. To attempt copyright infringement upon this signiture is a violation of any copyright laws stated for the previously stated signiture. By acknowledging this signiture, you acknowledge the previous signiture.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2004-03-31, 2:16 PM #2
The numbers represent the fret you play with 0 representing an open string.

The top line represents the high E string and the bottom line represents the low E string.

You play the notes indicated by the fret numbers. If more than one string is played at the same time (a chord) then there will be more than one number in a stack.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-03-31, 2:30 PM #3
AHa, and I justcame to post that I figured it out [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

Thanks though

------------------
This signiture agrees completely with the previously posted signuture. To attempt copyright infringement upon this signiture is a violation of any copyright laws stated for the previously stated signiture. By acknowledging this signiture, you acknowledge the previous signiture.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2004-03-31, 3:46 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Veger:
BTW, yes, I'm playing on a classical nylon guitar. It's all I have.</font>
How do you keep nylon strings in tune? I tried it once, and they just wouldn't stay in tune for anything.

Steel-core for me, baby.

------------------
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend."
- Proverbs 27:17

Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical CodeĀ® (NECĀ®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-03-31, 3:54 PM #5
Well, I don't play my guitar that much, it still smells new (very good case...) but it's 2 years old. My strings, as most strings, get out of tune if I leave it in for a month or more, but I just re-tune it. They don't get that out of tune for me while I"m playing...unless you mean long-term. *shrug*

BTW...what does "9\" mean?"

[This message has been edited by Veger (edited March 31, 2004).]
2004-03-31, 4:14 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Veger:

BTW...what does "9\" mean?"

</font>

The "9\" indicates a slide down to the "0th" fret, if you will. Just a simple slide from the 9th fret to the head of the guitar.

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought out "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought our "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
2004-03-31, 4:21 PM #7
Cool, Easy enough... one last question:

Code:
----11-------------->>|<<11-------------------------12--------------12
-12----12-10-12--------------10--12--------10-12-------------12-------
----------------------------------------------------------12----------
-----------------9--------------------9-----------9--------------9----
----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------12>>>|<<<------10----10---8------8---7---7---5---5--3--3---
-----12----------------12----12---------10--------8-------7------5----
-12-----------------12------------------------------------------------
---------9------------------------------------------------------------

What do the | symbols represent? anythin special?
[EDIT] I put arrows in to point them out. Are they typos or do they have a significance? [/EDIT]

2004-04-01, 4:49 PM #8
Maybe they're bar lines? But it's odd to see bar lines in tab.

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought out "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought our "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."

↑ Up to the top!