Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → A few questions about vocals
A few questions about vocals
2004-03-30, 6:11 AM #1
After listening to the live music I last posted, I've tried to discover why I sing a bit off-key. So I have some questions:

1.) If one of your guitarists uses a capo, (and since capos usually make a guitar sharp), could that be a cause of singing sharp?
2.) Can a lack of good monitor mix cause a person to sing off-key? (This can relate to the next question as well).
3.) Do any of you ever have a problem singing w/o amplification? If something is right in my ear, outside of the mix, it causes me to perceive it a bit flat, and I sing accordingly. I have the same problem when playing violin. If it's right in my ear, I end up playing flat, without noticing it until listening to a recording. If I amplify the violin, I play fine (as far as tuning goes. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif])
4.) Can trying tremolos in your voice cause you to go off-key?

My off-key singing has to be the result of one of these three things (or combinations of them.) I know I'm not tone-deaf. In fact, I'm unnecessarily picky about the tuning of instruments. I can tell when something is out of tune by as little as 1 Hz or less. Really, I think my problem is related to questions 2 & 3.

Any advice & suggestions would be appreciated.

------------------
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend."
- Proverbs 27:17

Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-03-30, 6:27 AM #2
Who cares about singing when you can grunt?
2004-03-30, 7:03 AM #3
It could very well be the monitor mix, I dont believe the capo-thing has anything to do with it. If you can hear the guitar you should be able to match accordingly, but if you're hearing yourself improperly then you'll have trouble finding the right pitches. Some of it also has to do with the amount of air you use, posture, and facial expressions.

From your recording I dont think it was lack of air because you sang out pretty well. It could be that you were uncomfortable and hunched up, but I wouldnt know... If you think you're going flat raise your eyebrows and drop your jaw a bit more. This will also improve the quality of your voice and can help with other things like range.

Also, do your best to get the best mix out of the monitors you can. I know 99% of the time you have no control over it, but it does help when you can have a thorough soundcheck and see how you'll sound at every level and how it'll affect your voice.

Your voice isnt bad, the tremolo thing is a bit weird but it's not bad.

------------------
please *
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-03-31, 5:20 AM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Schming:
It could very well be the monitor mix, I dont believe the capo-thing has anything to do with it. If you can hear the guitar you should be able to match accordingly...</font>
That was my point. He uses a Kyser Quick-Grip Capo, which has no way to adjust tension, and usually causes the tuning of the guitar to go sharper than it should be. That's why I quit using capos myself. Since he's the only rhythm guitarists, I thought maybe it had an effect on my singing.

I think most of the problem is the monitor mix, but I guess I'll have to play around with everything.
I'm also going to talk with someone about getting personal monitor mixers. We need them *badly*.

------------------

National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited March 31, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-03-31, 4:16 PM #5
I tend to go off key if I'm "afraid" to sing for some reason; it's easier to sing in the car on a lonely highway where there's no one to hear, than, say, in my empty house where the neighbours could be snickering.

Oh!

Q. How do you know when a singer's at your door?
A. He doesn't know which key to use and never comes in on time.
2004-03-31, 4:20 PM #6
At least you notice that you're off-key. Most bands these days only think of keys as being those little pointy things you put in doors.

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought out "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought our "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
2004-03-31, 5:26 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Matthew Pate:

Q. How do you know when a singer's at your door?
A. He doesn't know which key to use and never comes in on time.
</font>

i like that one....

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-03-31, 5:35 PM #8
I've heard some great drummer ones. Unfortunately I'm bad at remembering jokes.

------------------
All you need is love.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love
2004-03-31, 6:35 PM #9
Just go Kurt Cobain style like in Smells Like Teen Spirit.....

"It's uni.jkfdajfljsaflksjf.jjk.jTO HAVE h..jadsfkljaflkaj"

------------------
Only To Keep The Public Happy
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-03-31, 6:45 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dry gear the frog:
I've heard some great drummer ones. Unfortunately I'm bad at remembering jokes.

</font>

drummer jokes are not funny... at all... i know too many drummers *hides his sticks*

------------------
wang is within all
2004-03-31, 6:55 PM #11
Why? It's all fun.
I wish I knew more drummers so I could start a band. I only know one and I don't know if he's interested. I know a ton of bassists though.

------------------
All you need is love.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love
2004-04-01, 4:48 PM #12
Seriously, if anyone has a spare drummer lying around, set him up for auction on Ebay, cuz Ima needin' one.

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought out "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought our "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
2004-04-01, 5:24 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Da_Roosta:
Seriously, if anyone has a spare drummer lying around, set him up for auction on Ebay, cuz Ima needin' one.

</font>

come to evansville indiana, put up some posters make sure the drummer isn't already in a band... AND KIDNAP HIM OR HER

we have plenty of drummers here... it's bassists that we can't seem to locate

------------------
wang is within all
2004-04-02, 4:16 AM #14
Come to RI, we are full of those.

------------------
I’m not going to die, I’m going to see if I was ever alive. - Spike
It's not your right to decide whether they live or die. They deserve a chance! - Vash
BABIES EVERYWHERE!!!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-04-02, 4:26 AM #15
In my hometown there's a lack of drummers and everyone else sucks at singing...

------------------
please *
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-04-02, 10:06 AM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Matthew Pate:
I tend to go off key if I'm "afraid" to sing for some reason; it's easier to sing in the car on a lonely highway where there's no one to hear, than, say, in my empty house where the neighbours could be snickering.</font>
Hmm... I think you hit on something here. I feel weird singing when I'm recording, because I'm the only one who can hear the music. Maybe that's one of my problems.

Yesterday while recording, I discovered that standing up while singing makes a huge difference. Keeping my back straight made quite a difference to. If only I could hit the notes on the song I'm recording. It's kind of a strange chord progression. (E G A E and E C/G D/F# E. Kinda hard to sing to at first.)

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-04-04, 3:38 PM #17
How many drummers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Let's go ride bikes!

------------------
All the prism in the world couldn't make hue.
2004-04-04, 3:54 PM #18
did you hear about the band that locked their keys in the car?

they had to break the window to let the drummer out...

yeah i've heard alot of them...

------------------
wang is within all

↑ Up to the top!