Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → Favorite punk band?
Favorite punk band?
2004-03-30, 7:15 PM #1
So, vat's your favorite punk band?

For me, that's hard. It would be hard just to name me favorite late 70's punk band. So I'll have to list a few.

The Ramones
The Sex Pistols
Television (I'd recommend this band even to non-punk fans)
Minor Threat (hardcore)
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Wire
Meat Puppets

It's starting to get pretty hard because the definition for punk isn't very clear.
I like post-punk a little more than punk actually. Most of the stuff I listen to is post-punk.

------------------
All you need is love.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love
2004-03-30, 7:17 PM #2
Misfits

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-03-30, 8:37 PM #3
Blink 182 and Green Day

Mahahahaaaa [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-03-30, 11:48 PM #4
I'm into most punk bands, not really in the mood for listing any... and I always thought the Meat Puppets were an Acoustic Power Metal band :P

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-03-31, 3:53 AM #5
Does that include pop-punk? if so, then I say Blink182.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-03-31, 7:04 AM #6
Sure, it can include pop-punk if you like. But also try to include a normal punk band if you listen to any.
Except for Spork. He's fired.

[plug]By the way, pop-punk fans, you should check out Big Star. They were a big power pop band. Pop punk music sounds a lot like Big Star except slightly faster to make it punk. Listen to the song September Gurls, it's great.[/plug]

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">and I always thought the Meat Puppets were an Acoustic Power Metal band :P</font>

Nope, they were always punk. They started out as a hardcore band but got fed up with the scene, so started adding country and psychadelic bits into it.

------------------
All you need is love.
2004-03-31, 7:16 AM #7
Die Ärzte - Die beste Band der Welt!!!!!

Wizo, Slime, Tagtraum, Tankcsapda, Aurora

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] Anyone knows any of them? THEY ROCK!

I am not that much into english/american punk. Perhaps the Exploited and the Offspring, but that's all, tough Anti Flag isn't that bad [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
My levels

www.i.hate.matyy.de

pazarol a világ, én meg segitek neki
My levels
2004-03-31, 7:45 AM #8
The Clash

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought out "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought our "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
2004-03-31, 9:56 AM #9
Favorite punk band, eh? *rubs hands together*

Classic Punk:
1. Black Flag
2. Minor Threat
3. Crass

Modern Punk:
1. Rocket from the Crypt
2. Against Me!
3. Dillinger Four

Pop-Punk:
1. Mr. T Experience
2. Spitalfield
3. Audio Karate

Post-Punk:
1. And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead
2. Jets to Brazil
3. The Weakerthans

Hardcore:
1. Stretch Armstrong
2. Small Brown Bike
3. old Suicide Machines

------------------
Space Colony Inc. Phoenix Suburban City Dereliction
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2004-03-31, 10:01 AM #10
Meat Puppets.....punk? They're a cross between country and grateful dead! :P, I don't know, it really depends on what you're opinion of what punk is. Anywho, in my opinion, probobly THe Ramones, Sex Pistols, and Nirvana are my favorite

------------------
Punktkerbe | www.hl2central.net
2004-03-31, 12:08 PM #11
Ramones.

------------------
"It's OK for us to randomly attack people!"
-BV

o.0
2004-03-31, 7:15 PM #12
Nope, Meat Puppets were punk. At least their first three albums were.
Calling Nirvana punk is really stretching it though. I love Nirvana, but I really don't think they were punk. That's like saying The Pixies were punk, which they were not.

For my three favorite post-punk, it'd have to go something like:
1. Echo and the Bunnymen
2. New Order
3. Joy Division
That's right, I like New Order more than Joy Division. Wanna make somethin' of it?

Whelly: I have a Stretch Armstrong album, but haven't listened much to it. I guess I should give it another spin.
Have you heard of Gorilla Biscuits? They are an awesome hardcore straight-edge band. Get their album Start Today.

------------------
All you need is love.

[This message has been edited by dry gear the frog (edited March 31, 2004).]
2004-04-01, 9:05 AM #13
Ohh, I love straight-edge and I like hardcore... I will definitely give them a listen. Although I don't know if you like a lot of hardcore, Stretch is definitely one of the best in the genre.

------------------
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2004-04-01, 9:37 AM #14
Noone here who likes German or Hungarian punk? Arr, you don't know what you're missing [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
My levels

www.i.hate.matyy.de

My levels
2004-04-01, 12:47 PM #15
The Ramones
Pennywise
Less Than Jake (although they might be more ska than punk)
Bad Religion
Suicide Machines

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-04-01, 1:04 PM #16
NAS_Matyy: I like Wizo a lot. Does that count?

------------------
2004-04-01, 11:28 PM #17
Hell, yeah! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

Die Ärzte is too much about the lyrics, but they are great. Wizo is something "others" can listen to [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
My levels

www.i.hate.matyy.de

My levels
2004-04-03, 2:50 AM #18
i like both kinds of music - Country and Western!

J/K

Fav punk bans is Frenzal Rhomb
2004-04-03, 6:07 PM #19
pg.99, Antischism, Crass, Conflict, His Hero Is Gone, Rudimentary Peni, Richard Hell and the Voidoids (similar stuff to Television, which I saw up at the top), Bad Brains, Dystopia, Mission of Burma, Choking Victim.

This is about all I can think off of the top of my head. Kind of a disjointed list.

------------------
I have a signature.
I have a signature.
2004-04-04, 8:38 AM #20
DROPKICK MURPHY'S AND BLACK 47!

------------------
Blue, no yellow, AHHHHHHHHHH
2004-04-04, 5:50 PM #21
Dropkick Murphy's
Leftover Crack/Choking Victim
The Clash
Sex Pistols
Televison
Against Me
Angelic Upstarts
The Blood Brothers
The Dead Kennedy's
Mission of Burma
Modern English
Some NoFX stuff
Rudimentary Peni
Subhumans

That's.. most of them.

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-04-05, 12:32 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Da_Roosta:
The Clash

</font>

------------------
Superstition brings bad luck.
-Raymond Smullyan, 5000B.C.
:master::master::master:
2004-04-05, 12:47 PM #23
I haven't heard of any of the bands you listed, Madquack. I guess I'm supposed to be impressed.
Are they local bands in your area?

------------------
All you need is love.
2004-04-06, 3:12 PM #24
Nope. pg.99 could kind of be considered local, but not really, I don't think.

You telling me you've never heard Crass?? Go buy Feeding of the 5000 or Christ the Album. Tower Records usually has them in stock.

------------------
I have a signature.
I have a signature.
2004-04-06, 4:27 PM #25
These guys. I just reviewed their song "Cromwell" it's awesome.

http://www.purevolume.com/thebrodiefactor

other than that, The Clash.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album comes out April 20th
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-04-07, 5:13 AM #26
The Clash and The Misfits.

------------------
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
2004-04-08, 12:08 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You telling me you've never heard Crass?? Go buy Feeding of the 5000 or Christ the Album. Tower Records usually has them in stock.</font>

I don't really have any money, actually. I might just download a song or two for now.

I'll check out that Cromwell song tomorrow.

------------------
All you need is love.

↑ Up to the top!