Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → Explain the "mosh pit" to me.
Explain the "mosh pit" to me.
2004-05-11, 4:40 PM #1
I want to know why people are motivated to beat the crap out of each other. I went to an Evanesence concert last summer, and was stuck next to the mosh pit. It was amazing to watch. It seemed so incredibly pointless. I have asked people, and they have said it's becuase the music moves them. Ok, so why weren't there mosh pits back in the day of 60's, 70's? I geuinely want to know the purpose of the mosh pit. EXPLAIN!

------------------
"This thread is still alive? Someone should kill it."
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2004-05-11, 4:59 PM #2
Because it's fun until you get socked in the mouth. Jumping around and getting muddy to some hard core music is fun. But I think those people were weird because Evanescence is not mosh music.

------------------
Is Wayne Brady going to have to choke a *****?
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-05-11, 5:01 PM #3
Therapy.

------------------
The weapons with which the bourgeoisie felled feudalism to the ground are now turned against the bourgeoisie itself.
2004-05-11, 7:42 PM #4
It's a way to let out violent aggression, but it's not for everyone.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-05-11, 9:12 PM #5
*agog* Evanesence has mosh pits?

I don't see the point, myself. I go to a concert to enjoy the music, not to physically assault others.
2004-05-11, 9:17 PM #6
i personally enjoy the human bumper cars moshpits but there is always that one total *** clown who wants to start something and tries to turn the pit into a warzone

also can't help but to mention the "hardcore kids" who think that mosh pit is another way of saying "dance floor/martial arts tournament" which is why most locals bands' shows i stay out of the pit... it's especially painful when i was watching the pit while 1369 played... 1369 [edit]was[/edit] thrash/death metal... the pit should not be a bunch of "assembly line punks" dancing badly and pretending they know karate

i forgot that should say "was" since 1369 changed their name and disappeared

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!

[This message has been edited by DrkJedi82 (edited May 12, 2004).]
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-05-12, 4:03 AM #7
a good moshpit is basically like I said in another thread, people just bumping into each other like football players, but running in a circle, and of course, helping people get up if they fall.

You get a few bumps the next morning, but it's nothing bad. =P

------------------
* Seb goes around singing "I'm too sexy for my body"
* Wolfy goes around singing "I'm too sexy for Seb's body"
* Cave_Demon steals Seb's underwear (underwear stolen: 39)
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-05-12, 2:34 PM #8
Ugh, I want to go to a concert to listen to the music and see the band, not to "let out" my "teen angst" by "beating the crap out of people for no reason".

------------------
Space Colony Inc. Phoenix Suburban City Dereliction
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2004-05-12, 3:13 PM #9
erm, yeah.. You can do both whenever you like. just because you enter the pit doesn't mean you can't leave it after a while, look at the band, and then when "moshy" part fires up on the song, jump in. But of course, punk doesn't have moshy parts, So It doesn't really apply.

oh, and by a moshy part, I mean a part that usually has a break of the drums, a new guitar line starts up, and then the drum erupts into some 8th note blastbeat or 16th note blastbeat.

------------------
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-05-12, 3:27 PM #10
Maybe I'm just lame, but if I do any movement at all at a concert, it involves jumping up and down, throwing my fists around in beat with the music, and singing my heart out, which eventually turns to screaming, if I'm singing loud enough.

Edit: Holy run-ons, Batman.
------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought out "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."

[This message has been edited by Da_Roosta (edited May 12, 2004).]
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought our "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
2004-05-12, 4:14 PM #11
Mosh pits are fun and all until you trip in a Circle-K and some 200 pound guy falls on you. Then it hurts.

------------------
"If I had a dollar for every time I had sixty cents, I would be Canada."

"Should slice indices start at 0 or 1? My compromise of 0.5 was rejected without, I thought, proper consideration."

--@%
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2004-05-12, 5:58 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Ugh, I want to go to a concert to listen to the music and see the band, not to "let out" my "teen angst" by "beating the crap out of people for no reason".</font>

I feel the same way, but maybe that's because I'm not a teenager. I've moshed at concerts such as White Zombie, Pantera, and some hardcore local bands, but those days are over for me. When I look back at it all, it's simply ridiculous, and I can't believe that I used to waste my time listening to bad music, much less jumping around and bumping into people like an idiot.

I see moshing as very negative behavior and that's bad since we're living in a society with teenagers who already have self-defeating behavior/attitudes.

------------------
www.MentatMM.com (status = down :/)
Napalm Death Squad (status = alpha)

[This message has been edited by MentatMM (edited May 12, 2004).]
2004-05-12, 6:33 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MentatMM:
I see moshing as very negative behavior and that's bad since we're living in a society with teenagers who already have self-defeating behavior/attitudes.

</font>

You obviously haven't seen an Andrew W.K. concert. I've never seen so much love. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged
2004-05-13, 2:54 AM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MentatMM:

</font>

Erm, yeah right, I have a bad attitude especially as I have a smile in my face during the entire mosh.

How many times do I have to tell you? there's no "hidden" therapy, there's a mosh BECAUSE that's how it works with metal. end of story.

------------------
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-05-13, 5:28 AM #15
Have you ever rassled with a friend or your dad? Then you know why mosh-pits are fun for some people. The animal takes over, and you aren't attached to anything anymore. You're just screwing around. And, if you've ever been in the mosh, if someone falls over, everything splits, two big guys help you up, and everything continues. It's fun.

JediKirby

------------------
"I was driving along listening to the radio, when Judas Priest comes on. It was 'You've got another thing coming.' All of a sudden, I enter 'VICE CITY RAMAGE MODE' and nearly ran some guy over"
- ]-[ellequin
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-05-13, 8:02 AM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
if someone falls over, everything splits, two big guys help you up,

</font>

usually

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-05-14, 12:30 PM #17
Great fun in controlled amounts, and excellent excercise. It's just so wonderfully physical, with no thinking required at all. Just like running, or lifting weights. Perfect after a long period of exams, unreturned love or other teenage problems. Helps clean the head of all the ugly things you don't want there, just like heavy music in general.

Of course, it isn't particurlary fun when some idiot decides to start punching people and jumping on those who fall, but with any luck those are discouraged by the rest of the mob. I have never seen moshing as a destructive channel for bad thoughts.

------------------
No signature for you.

[This message has been edited by Gandalv the Gray (edited May 14, 2004).]
No signature for you.
2004-05-14, 12:42 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Matthew Pate:
*agog* Evanesence has mosh pits?
</font>

Actually, Evanescence is a lot harder live. I saw them when they were touring with Cold. When Cold was playing, there were like 2 people moshing, and then Evanescence came out and everyone else joined in. The pit was especially fun when they were playing Metallica and Smashing Pumpkins covers.

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin

[This message has been edited by Vincent Valentine (edited May 14, 2004).]
2004-05-14, 2:10 PM #19
Moshing isn't always bad. As has been mentioned, sometimes it's just human bumper cars.

Fugazi is known for not allowing moshing at their concerts.

------------------
All you need is love.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love

↑ Up to the top!