Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → Worst Covers EVER
Worst Covers EVER
2004-05-10, 6:26 AM #1
A while ago, we did the best covers ever... so what is the most brutal desecration of a song you have ever heard?

My vote goes to "Under the Bridge", by All Saints. BRUTAL.
2004-05-10, 7:40 AM #2
Avril Lavigne covering a Metallica song... i disliked that song to begin with but... just NO

also Slayer should not have covered Hand of Doom by BLack Sabbath... or at least they should have done it right

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-05-10, 9:19 AM #3
Devo's version of "Secret Agent Man."

Just horrible.

------------------
[19:59] Happy "Liar liar" dud: This is arguably one of the lowest points in my life.
[20:00] Happy "Liar liar" dud: I'm sitting here infront of my two computers wearing shorts and with no shirt, eating potato salad and orange juice, debating the existance of pants.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-05-10, 9:29 AM #4
Worst Covers ever? everything you hear on the radio is a cover nowadays, so I'll say all of them.

------------------
* Seb goes around singing "I'm too sexy for my body"
* Wolfy goes around singing "I'm too sexy for Seb's body"
* Cave_Demon steals Seb's underwear (underwear stolen: 39)
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-05-10, 12:31 PM #5
Me, singing "I Like Traffic Lights".

------------------
Because you're as bored as I am
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-05-10, 1:13 PM #6
Rise Against - Anyway You Want It (Journey Cover)

A very bad way to end an otherwise great CD.

------------------
Space Colony Inc. Phoenix Suburban City Dereliction
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2004-05-10, 2:08 PM #7
311 - Lovesong

(Not that I like the original, but I've heard LOTS better covers of that song.)

------------------
All the prism in the world couldn't make hue.
2004-05-10, 3:01 PM #8
Pearl Jam, Rocking in the Free World.

>.>
<.< actually that covers almost better then the original. Pearl Jams I beleive in Miracles kinda sucked though.

------------------
"It's OK for us to randomly attack people!"
-BV

o.0
2004-05-10, 3:20 PM #9
Um, yeah.. Pearl Jam's Rockin' in the Freeworld is excellent. As good, but probably better than Neil Young's (but you already said that.) I could agree that I Beileve in Miracles is a sort of bad cover, but the Ramones song sucks anyway, and I think the reason why they play it is for its meaning rather than how it sounds (which is the way punk should be, I think.)

To that degree, I say that Counting Crow's cover of "Big Yellow Taxi" is just horrendous.

------------------
To myself I surrender to the one I'll never please.
But I still try to run on.
You know I still try to run on. But it's all or none.

Eddie Vedder
former entrepreneur
2004-05-10, 3:47 PM #10
That kid who did that music video of "Aicha" in English. Murder on my eardrums.
2004-05-10, 4:46 PM #11
i bet i could find some people who would absolutely hate my friend's cover of an n'sync song... since it's a death metal version

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-05-10, 6:23 PM #12
Britney Spears' rendition of I Love Rock N Roll. Joan Jett can PWN Spears anyday.

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought out "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought our "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
2004-05-11, 7:51 AM #13
Kittie - Run Like Hell made my ears bleed.

------------------
"Honey, you got real ugly."
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2004-05-11, 1:04 PM #14
Hah, I love Kittie's Run Like Hell. YOU BETTER RUUUUUUUUN!

<3 Kittie

------------------
All the prism in the world couldn't make hue.
2004-05-12, 1:06 AM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Eversor:
To that degree, I say that Counting Crow's cover of "Big Yellow Taxi" is just horrendous.</font>

My girlfriend always cringes in the bridge where they totally break the rhyme:
"Late last night I heard the screen door slam/And a big yellow taxi took my girl away"

Although I think their version is more interesting musically than Joni Mitchell's, the song really doesn't mean as much this day in age as when it first came out.
2004-05-12, 1:53 AM #16
I could never hear it be called horrendous - it may not be as good as the original, but very few covers equal or surpass the originals. Some Beatles covers are technically brilliant, but all you'll ever hear is people spouting "Oh you can hear Lennon spinning in his grave".

Worst cover ever....

I really hated what Madonna did to American Pie - The song (to me) needs a really strong vocal, not some prissy weepy whiny type lead. Didn't do it for me one bit.

Best covers I hear you say? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

All the stuff by Richard Cheese,
Goldfinger's 99 (red) balloons
Munkypunch's cover of the Tetris theme (google for them, you cn preview some of their stuff from a link on their site)
Reel Big Fish - Hungry like the wolf [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-05-14, 2:37 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Rise Against - Anyway You Want It (Journey Cover)</font>

What do you expect from a Journey song [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Orgy- Blue Monday
Graveworm- Losing My Religion

------------------
All you need is love.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love
2004-05-14, 5:33 PM #18
there are 2 versions of that blue moday cover, the REALLY bad one, and the amazing one.

------------------
When you expect the pain - nothing left to ascertain
When you respect the lie - Deadly chasm open wide
---Circle of Dust "Chasm"
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2004-05-14, 7:09 PM #19
Is the good one a remix?
They just totally dumbed down the song. At first I didn't like the original and liked that one, but once I realized how great New Order's version is, I came to despise the Orgy cover.
Even though they didn't change the lyrics, they turned them into nu-metal angst crap.

------------------
All you need is love.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love
2004-05-16, 3:19 AM #20
I heard somewhere that Avril covered System of a Downs' "Chop Suey!". Haven't actually heard it myself, but my hopes aren't high.
Oh, and Scissor sister have done a crappy cover of Comfortably Numb which is quite painful.

↑ Up to the top!