Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → I have better musical tastes than most people.
I have better musical tastes than most people.
2004-05-25, 4:43 AM #1
With a title like that, I'm sure this thread will get a lot of attention from people who are gonna quote my posts and make points I don't care about. But to put it bluntly, I listen to a lot of artists, from almost every genre that I have come across in my lifetime, this is a wide variety of music... yet you get people who only listen to about 12 specific bands, or only one or two genres... they spend the rest of the time telling the world how evil <any other genre> is. These people annoy me to no end, as their opinion of music is horribly narrow minded, and they only really are familiar with one aspect of musical compsition and technique.

Bleh, its a good rant if you ask me... I couldn't even listen to a single genre or two even if i tried... theres too many interesting sounds out their to be that aurally dull.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-05-25, 5:29 AM #2
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Septic Yogurt:
With a title like that, I'm sure this thread will get a lot of attention from people who are gonna quote my posts and make points I don't care about. But to put it bluntly, I listen to a lot of artists, from almost every genre that I have come across in my lifetime, this is a wide variety of music... yet you get people who only listen to about 12 specific bands, or only one or two genres... they spend the rest of the time telling the world how evil <any other genre> is. These people annoy me to no end, as their opinion of music is horribly narrow minded, and they only really are familiar with one aspect of musical compsition and technique.

Bleh, its a good rant if you ask me... I couldn't even listen to a single genre or two even if i tried... theres too many interesting sounds out their to be that aurally dull.

</font>

You aren't the only one. Though I do often post things about the artists I hate.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-05-25, 6:05 AM #3
I hate when people come and diss the music I like. I don't care if they don't like it, that is when I just consider my opinion. Well, there's always the other opinions, but I'm growing up to be more arrogant, and I am starting to care only of my opinions. The word even annoys me. OPINION. ONION. Like someone pointed out last year.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-05-25, 6:38 AM #4
Most of the people here are going through music "phases", in my opinion. 10 years from now they'll have broadened their horizons and probably won't even listen to what they're listening to now. As a matter of fact, they may even grow to despise it.

Let's see...10 years ago I was listening to artists such as Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, and Soundgarden. Today, I can't stand to listen to 2 seconds of any of their songs. I'm sure that these bands consist of some decent musicians, but in my opinion, every song that I've heard by these bands (which is practically all of them), is just plain horrible. I'm not referring to these bands to offend anyone, I'm simply showing that people (especially younger folks) go through music "phases". I used to swear up and down that the above bands were the greatest in the world.

The truth is that there is decent music that comes out of every genre. While music from a specific genre may not appeal to everyone, if they write off the entire genre as bad, they're simply being naive and ignorant. I despise Rap music in general, but it's obvious that some of these artists have talent. However, although there are a few rap artists that I can tolerate, I don't make it a point to listen to that type of music. Not because they're unskilled, but because it doesn't appeal to me.

In other words, I agree with your initial statement, but only to a point. Listening to a variety of music is a good idea, but in theory at least, there are people such as myself that can dislike an entire genre. I listen to Electronica, almost exclusively. Not because I dislike all other genres, but because my music appeals to me more.

I do venture outside of the world of Electronica on a daily basis though. Basically, I just listen to what sounds good to me. I would suggest that everyone else do the same.

------------------
www.MentatMM.com (status = down :/)
Napalm Death Squad (status = alpha)
2004-05-25, 9:26 AM #5
I completely understand issues like these. It bothers me to no end when people are so biased and close-minded about such pointless issues. I consider myself very music smart, and I respect all types of music. In fact, I like nearly all music. Of course, I like other genres more than others, but it's the toleration and respect that counts.

Some people are prideful in the fact that they love one genre or hate another... I'm prideful in the fact that I don't fall for such trivial trends. It's so childish and stupid to hate other types of music for no real reason. It's all a matter of opinion, but frankly, the opinion of the typical music listener doesn't mean anything. You also have to think of MTV, which basically plays only two types of genres: rock and rap. In the end, it's MTV and major labels that ruin a diverse world of music. Don't get me wrong, I love some artists on major labels and MTV, but that only goes so far.

Also, MentatMM hit it on the nail. If you fall for phases like that, you probably never liked the music in the first place. I know that when I'm 40 years old, I'll like the music I listened to when I was 16.

------------------
Space Colony Inc. Phoenix Suburban City Dereliction
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2004-05-25, 10:56 AM #6
Trivial Trend?

it isn't a trend if a certain type of music sounds like its f*****ing your ear drum.

------------------
OSC Empire | A.H.N.U.L.D.
[Jim7 PING reply]: 666secs
Think while it's still legal.
2004-05-25, 1:03 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I have better musical tastes than most people.</font>

From reading your post, I agree.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-05-25, 1:09 PM #8
SAJN_Master: I mean the trend of liking one type of music and hating all others, or vice versa. Well... it's not as much of a trend, as much as it's human nature.

------------------
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2004-05-25, 1:55 PM #9
I'm not sure if part of your rant is directed my way or not, but I'll agree with you. I admit that I have an inclination to dislike metal, but that's largely due to the pretentiousness of a lot (not all) of that genres bands and fans. I've never met a fan of metal that didn't come off with a "metal is so advanced and the only people who are good at guitar is someone who can play really fast" attitude.
But of course, they refuse to broaden their horizons, and a lot of them think that music has to be hard to be cool.

Okay, anyway, I agree with the rant. There are some annoying people who like to attack pop, rap, and country and listen to nothing but crappy teen music. I also think it's fine if people don't want to listen to an entire genre of music as long as they don't act like they know it sucks.

I also agree with MentatMM (Dune is awesome, btw) about phases. I go through several of my own. I don't really listen to Nirvana much anymore, but I still like them. I used to listen to mainstream modern rock, but don't anymore and I don't really like it either.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I hate when people come and diss the music I like.</font>

At least you listen to unique music. I downloaded a Jean-Michael Jarre song and listened to it, but I don't remember it. Sorry.

I really get frustrated with the britpop people here sometimes. I jump in and say "Hey, check out the Stone Roses! You'll like them!" but they're too busy fawning over the current oasis/coldplay/whatever band.
Actually, that goes for a lot of people. "Hey, check out Big Star! They were an important part of music history and a big influence on [band you like]."
Of course, they don't care. Those are the occasions where I'll start knocking their favorite bands. So yeah, the point of this paragraph is that sometimes I'll diss a band or genre here but it's because I get frustrated.

This post is terribly messy. Sorry to anybody that read it. If you didn't, please at least go back and skim it, for my sake.

------------------
All you need is love.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love
2004-05-25, 2:23 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dry gear the frog:
I'm not sure if part of your rant is directed my way or not, but I'll agree with you. I admit that I have an inclination to dislike metal, but that's largely due to the pretentiousness of a lot (not all) of that genres bands and fans. I've never met a fan of metal that didn't come off with a "metal is so advanced and the only people who are good at guitar is someone who can play really fast" attitude.
But of course, they refuse to broaden their horizons, and a lot of them think that music has to be hard to be cool.

</font>

Although I enjoyed reading your post thoroughly, this part struck a chord with me, I found it quite entertaining. In no way is any of it directed at you, and I fully understand your point of view because I agree with it fully and dislike a lot of metal music for this reason. Still... I enjoy a few metal bands that sound like they have a passion for music instead of a predisposition to show off.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-05-25, 5:20 PM #11
Musical Genres I personally enjoy listening to:

Nu-Metal
Oldies
Classical (Tchaikovsky, Rimsky Korsakov, ect.)
pretty much anything John Williams.

------------------
He who passeth in shall passeth out.
2004-05-25, 8:30 PM #12
I hate ALL music.

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought out "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought our "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
2004-05-25, 8:40 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FastGamerr:
I hate when people come and diss the music I like. I don't care if they don't like it, that is when I just consider my opinion. Well, there's always the other opinions, but I'm growing up to be more arrogant, and I am starting to care only of my opinions. The word even annoys me. OPINION. ONION. Like someone pointed out last year.

</font>

I'd just like to point out that if I (and many other people) have dissed your musical tastes is because you seem to have a very unhealthy obsession with jean-michel jarre, and you seem to mention him or one of his songs at every occasion.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-05-25, 9:02 PM #14
More than every occasion even.

But people always get to arguments of musical tastes, no matter what.

And that annoys me. Some other people listen to other music, I listen to what I find good...

This post may seem like it's pointed at someone, but trust me, it isn't.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-05-25, 9:55 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MentatMM:
Most of the people here are going through music "phases", in my opinion.
</font>

Exactly. 4 years ago I was like "Ya, Metallica mother****ers!"

About 2 years ago I randomly stopped listening to metal and picked up U2. I guess I've been in the same phase since, although it's gone on to include basically whatever I think sounds good, including some Metallica songs, but not many... More like one, and I cant remember the name... I used to be able to name all the songs on each album in order... it's the one that goes like "Where do I take this pain of mine?" or something like that.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-05-26, 12:39 AM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Schming:
it's the one that goes like "Where do I take this pain of mine?" or something like that.</font>

Until It Sleeps. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-05-26, 9:41 AM #17

I -really- don't like how you guys think of metal as an immature genre, you all act like it's an enlightement when you stop listening to metal.

------------------
I'm walking towards dead end, and I'm walking all alone. Two steps ago I passed insanity - Aleksi Laiho
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-05-26, 9:56 AM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Seb:

I -really- don't like how you guys think of metal as an immature genre, you all act like it's an enlightement when you stop listening to metal.

</font>

I never said it was. I just stopped listening to it and my tastes changed. Maybe one day I'll get back into it, but probably not.

Ok, on second thought, to me it was the Enlightenment when I stopped listening to metal. I like metal because of its complexity and technicality. There are plenty of good metal songs. However, I like adult alternative because of its simplistic yet beautiful nature without all the idiotic lyrics and trappings of most pop rock and punk; and the overwhelming and annoying "Hey look what we can play, it's not really beautiful or an emotional experience, but it's cool" feeling I get from some bands like Dream Theater.

Metal bands I still listen to about once a month: Led Zeppelin (do they count?) and Iron Maiden.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Schming (edited May 26, 2004).]
2004-05-26, 10:08 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dry gear the frog:

I really get frustrated with the britpop people here sometimes. I jump in and say "Hey, check out the Stone Roses! You'll like them!" but they're too busy fawning over the current oasis/coldplay/whatever band.
</font>

I think most of that is because We the People of Britpopdom enjoy the big names and supreme fandom of fawning over these bands. I think most of the reason we neglect to check out some of the bands you or other people suggest is because we havent already heard of them, therefore in our minds they're non-existant tripe.

Whenever the britpop topic comes up though, I have never seen you toss some band names that I should check out. The last CD I bought from people telling me to check out bands was Snow Patrol... I dont remember if it was you or Spork that recommended that one.

------------------

2004-05-26, 10:20 AM #20
I can say I hate all other genres than classic rock and not be a fool who doesnt know anything about the other genres because ive listened to them all, and come to that conclusion.

------------------
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2004-05-26, 3:14 PM #21
Heh, Ive noticed the whole "phase" thing myself.
For example, last year, i was listening to bands such as Nickelback, A few months later, it was Linkin Park. Then, onto System of a Down, Then the Beatles, and The Who and all that. Now im into Instremental Metal, Punk, Rock, Classic Rock, and Blues..

------------------
"It's OK for us to randomly attack people!"
-BV

o.0
2004-05-26, 3:56 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">With a title like that, I'm sure this thread will get a lot of attention from people who are gonna quote my posts and make points I don't care about.</font>

you're dammn right ... did you know the reverse spelling of live is evil? AMAZING!
2004-05-26, 5:47 PM #23
Definately noticed the phases myself. I sold a bunch on Bon Jovi CDs that I had bought at one point in time several years ago. Biggest mistake I've made. I'd really like those CDs back now, but I'm not really willing to pay $15 per CD to get them back.

Other than that, when I go through phases, it seems to last a lot shorter than most people. I liked punk-pop for about four months, then I swore it away like a vile batch of crud that it is. I liked Eminem for about two weeks, but then I wised up. Some bands I've stayed with for nearly as long as I can remember. I've had one Soundgarden CD that I can't live without, and a CD of Led Zeppelin played by the London Symphony. That one's good stuff. Lately I've been getting into a little bit of instrumental metal and non-screaming metal; Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Iced Earth being examples. I like Opeth a lot as well, though that contradicts the non-screaming part. I also like The Tea Party a lot. Canadian band with a Middle-Eastern influenced sound. Very good stuff. Some local bands as well. Those, and Tool and A Perfect Circle round out what pretty much what I'm into at the moment, and have been for the past year or so. I still wholly enjoy the older main-stream rock bands such as Third Eye Blind, Creed, Oasis, Fuel etc.

------------------
Our very existence is at stake

Yay! I can finally join the snail-racing crew.

-@%
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-05-26, 5:56 PM #24
I like all sorts of music across many different genres. There's plenty I don't like too, but I'm not one to get pissy with people because they like stuff I don't.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-05-26, 8:16 PM #25
Metal forever baby!
\nn/ \nn/

I'm really not into the mainstream stuff, country I used to listen to long ago but then it sounded all the same to me (Like when I hear a song, I know the exact melody and chord changes before it even occurs - so predictable), rap has never done anything for me, punk -to me- sounds like people whining the entire time (I can't stand that singing style where it sounds like moaning).

I have over 53 soundtracks (Legally owned) though, so I really enjoy classical and instrumental orchestra music like that. Classic rock and more. And particularly metal...

So sue me. Musical tastes differ for person, it's not an actual term that states if you like so many types of music you have good musical tastes.

I like metal because to me it's the most fun to play on guitar. That's also why when I jam with people we play metal, and that's why I'm working on a solo metal album.

That's fine if people don't like metal...I don't care if you do or don't.

But I know lots of metalheads who really only listen to metal, and I don't think they have poor musical tastes.

Music can get very personal to people, and to some people metal is the best way to express it.
2004-05-27, 3:50 AM #26
I have tested out alot of music, but I simply like Rock better then them all, its not about being narrow-minded, its about what I want to listen to.

And yes, just rock, which covers alot of music anyway.

------------------
Run Away!!
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-05-27, 8:05 AM #27
Listening as well as playing makes you grow musically. This thing about phases is more or less right, except it never stops.

------------------
Flibbledy-dibbledy! Nyaaaaaaaahhh!

-The Last True Evil
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-05-27, 9:29 AM #28
Why can't all metalheads be as understanding and open-minded as Demon_Nightmare? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] Really, metalheads wouldn't piss me off if people like you listened to it. Just like what dry gear said...

For the record, punk rock is not whiny, or definitely not supposed to. It too bad that's what you think punk is... I know you would like it if you listened to some real, non-moaning punk rock.

------------------
2004-05-27, 9:49 AM #29
like SEX PISTOLS! I woke up to the radio station playing Anarchy in the UK today.

------------------

2004-05-27, 9:56 AM #30
It's kinda hard to know what real punk is when we're bombarded with pre-built crap poppunk bands day after day.

and compared to Demon_Nightmare and I (and other metal musicians in general), a share of metalheads don't know jack about the genre they oh so love and defend. Actually playing an instrument seriously changes your entire outlook on music. The majority of metalheads that are elitist pricks can't even begin the understand the creative process that goes with composing and structuring melodic lines and riffs in a song. so they figure "it's slow, it sucks". or "the vocal sings, it sucks" or "the drums don't blastbeat incoherently (though I doubt they can make a difference with well-timed blastbeating), it sucks". a good share of metalheads are blind to the music, and only see "HEAVY ****ING METAL WRAAAA".. While it's also a part of the metal history, it's evolved since the 80's, unlike some of the fans.

(Edited to make it a bit clearer)
------------------
I'm walking towards dead end, and I'm walking all alone. Two steps ago I passed insanity - Aleksi Laiho

[This message has been edited by Seb (edited May 27, 2004).]
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-05-27, 10:16 AM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Whelly:
Why can't all metalheads be as understanding and open-minded as Demon_Nightmare? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] Really, metalheads wouldn't piss me off if people like you listened to it. Just like what dry gear said...

For the record, punk rock is not whiny, or definitely not supposed to. It too bad that's what you think punk is... I know you would like it if you listened to some real, non-moaning punk rock.

</font>

=) We'll see...

Seb, I don't know if your agreeing or disagreeing with me, or even if it's directed at me...=(

Your post confused me
*cries*

[This message has been edited by Demon_Nightmare (edited May 27, 2004).]
2004-05-27, 12:09 PM #32
I was agreeing, don't worry, my point, in short, is that musician metalheads (generally) have a much better attitude towards other genres than the everyday metalhead.

------------------
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-05-27, 12:39 PM #33
Oh, yes...I agree with you there.

Jon Oliva from Savatage said it best in an interview...was a radio interview.

He said how he doesn't do music like that, but he won't diss people for listening to it. He wouldn't even refer to music he didn't like as "crap", as he said there's people out there who truly love that music and it would be offensive for him to call it that.

2004-05-27, 1:30 PM #34
Ive gotta go with Sebs idea about muscians having broader tastes. Once i started playing guitar, I started realizing music could be good even without some guy screaming and a couple power chords being played while a drummer goes crazy [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
"It's OK for us to randomly attack people!"
-BV

o.0

↑ Up to the top!