Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → The Beatles...
The Beatles...
2004-05-23, 8:57 AM #1
I've determined that the Beatles ARE the best band ever. I'm not even a big fan, but the ammount of songs they have, it's insane. I can point out key points to almost any song that trace back to The Beatles, not to mention that EVERYONE does covers from them. Has anyone heard Cash's version of "In My Life" O.O? I cried. It amazes me that one band can actually pave the way for the future of music to come, forever.

Have you ever sat down to your computer, double clicked that Winamp icon, and the PERFECT beatles song to soundtrack what's been happening in your life pops on? Share your experiences with the Beatles.

JediKirby

------------------
<]-[ellequin> Nothing is quite as satisfying as placing a .177 lead pellet in between the eyes of a cat.
<]-[ellequin> I think I will leave it's corpse there, to warn all the other cats to keep out of my hibiscus patch

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-05-23, 8:58 AM #2
Beatles music is overrated.

------------------
PWoT, NG, EW: The best sites on the net.

-@%
2004-05-23, 8:59 AM #3
Some of their songs are lame, some are good.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-05-23, 9:29 AM #4
All hands on deck! 'MOVE' dead ahead! Full to starboard!

Oh, and the beatles are awesome.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²[/i]

[This message has been edited by Noble Outlaw (edited May 23, 2004).]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-05-23, 9:31 AM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Terra111:
Beatles music is overrated.

</font>

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-05-23, 9:51 AM #6
It's out of context today for anything other than nostalgia - it was amazing and revolutionary in its day, and is still brilliant in the present day, but the reverence in our generation is missing, and understandably so. Saying it's overated is missing the point - but not by far. They're still in my playlist.

(oh yeah, and RAMMING SPEED! We need to MOOOOVE!)

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-05-23, 10:03 AM #7
It's not overrated, it's just better than 90 percent of the garbage produced and sold today.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-05-23, 10:32 AM #8
/me <3 The Beatles

------------------
Kroko> Massassi is like Nazi Germany online, only it's not in Germany.
|\|\|\|\|\|
<kak> WHY DO THESE RETARDS CONTINUALLY TRY LINUX?
<kak> IT DOES NOT MAKE YOU COOL.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-05-23, 10:58 AM #9
The fact that we still listen to the music 40 years on shows how good it really is. I mean, the youths of the 1960s didn't listen to music from the 20s, and the 60s pop stars weren't making cover versions of 20's music.

Makes you wonder what they'll be listening to in 40 years' time. Yes, some of the music today might be good, but does it have the timeless beauty of the Beatles, and much of the 60s music in general? I don't think so.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-05-23, 11:04 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Martyn:
It's out of context today for anything other than nostalgia - it was amazing and revolutionary in its day, and is still brilliant in the present day, but the reverence in our generation is missing, and understandably so.

</font>

That isn't true at all. There was an article somewhat recently in USA Today explaining how "classic rock" was coming back in a big way.

Music is timeless. Especially when you have a like like The Beatles, which wrote songs mostly about love.

------------------
To myself I surrender to the one I'll never please.
But I still try to run on.
You know I still try to run on. But it's all or none.

Eddie Vedder
former entrepreneur
2004-05-23, 11:14 AM #11
Maybe what Martyn meant was that the historical context does impact how we view the songs. Saying that osngs are timeless is true, in a sense, however many of the beetles songs were about love and peace and drugs and the very distinct culture of the 60s'. While you could argue we're heading that way, again, it will never quite be the smae context, and people of several generations into the future might not be able to appreciate the subtleties and general mood behind the songs and the culture/era they portrayed . . .

------------------
~ Vader's Corner ~

[This message has been edited by Daft_Vader (edited May 23, 2004).]
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2004-05-23, 12:34 PM #12
mmmmm... the Beatles go well with coffee and some other stuff.

My favorite song is She's Leaving Home.

They're not overrated, they're just that good.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-05-23, 12:40 PM #13
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is my personal favourite [album]. But, what is this topic doing on this forum?

[This message has been edited by Daeron the Nerfherder (edited May 23, 2004).]
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-05-23, 12:43 PM #14
Eleanor Rigby is one of those great epic songs. It's my favorite.

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought out "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought our "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
2004-05-23, 1:33 PM #15
Revolution 9. *Rocks back and forth in corner*

------------------
[="Mothers stop cooking take off your aprons; Fathers stop looking at every sports station; Take a second, and think of every poor nation." - Nas=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-05-23, 1:40 PM #16
hehehe... lucy in the sky with diamonds.

but yeah... they're okay. i like eleanor rigby, but everything else isnt insanely better than any of the newer stuff i have in my playlist.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels

[This message has been edited by Cazor (edited May 23, 2004).]
2004-05-23, 1:43 PM #17
In be fo da move.

Oh and, I hate them.

------------------
OSC Empire | A.H.N.U.L.D.
[Jim7 PING reply]: 666secs
Think while it's still legal.
2004-05-23, 1:59 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
It's not overrated, it's just better than 90 percent of the garbage produced and sold today.

</font>

I lose a brain cell everytime I hear that argument.

Have you even heard 90% of music produced today? I seriousely doubt you have. Heck, people these days just like dissing new music cause it's the "cool" thing to do. No one seems to respect other people's tastes, nor the artistic talent behind those genres. It's like saying picasso sucked because all the people in his paintings looked weird. Music, like painting, is an art with many different forms.

I don't like britney spears' music, but I'm glad she's there. I don't like rap as a whole, but I'm glad it's there, and I'm glad all those black 'gangsta' rappers out there make those cliche videos with the half naked girls shakin' their booty in the back of a limousine next to a guy in a white fuzzy coat with a cigar in his mouth. I'm also glad all those new pop punk bands with the numbers next to their names go on whining about all their angsty teen problems.

You know why? Because it creates diversity. These people don't do what they do because they're not good enough to rip off the beetles, they do it because it's their art, and they're good at it.

As for the beatles... I can't stand their music.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-05-23, 2:41 PM #19
Do you appreciatre what they did at least Flex? And the Beatles IMO are the greatest band ever. Not my favorite band, and I don't believe indivdually they were amazing musicians. However, their songwriting is almost unparalled, and their songs are timeless. I mean, how many artists would give their right kidney to craft an album like Sgt Peppers?

------------------
"This thread is still alive? Someone should kill it."

[This message has been edited by Nubs (edited May 23, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Nubs (edited May 23, 2004).]
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2004-05-23, 2:53 PM #20
There's this little thing called an opinion Flexor, that's what my post was.

The instrumental version of Eleanor Rigby is simply amazing. I love it.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-05-23, 3:20 PM #21
The White Album is bad ***

------------------
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-05-23, 3:22 PM #22
My criteria for a band to be awesome (in my eyes) is that it has at least one album (not a greatest hits) of which I like all the songs.

So, my current list of awesome bands is:
- Bon Jovi (These Days)
- Dire Straits (Money For Nothing)
- Guns N' Roses (Appetite for Destruction)
- Stratovarius (Visions)

There are other bands I like which could potentially be on this list, but I will have only heard a greatest hits or compilation album. I've heard plenty of The Beatles songs that I like, I just haven't heard a whole album... yet.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-05-23, 3:38 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Da_Roosta:
Eleanor Rigby is one of those great epic songs. It's my favorite.

</font>

*nods*

By the way, i agree with Flex. The Beatles are great, and have quite a number of timeless songs, but i don't think that music today is somehow lesser then what it was before, same as i don't believe that older movies are all so much better then those today, or that somehow the world was better in the 'Good old days'.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-05-23, 3:58 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
There's this little thing called an opinion Flexor, that's what my post was.
</font>

It was formed as a statement.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-05-23, 4:02 PM #25
Opinions can be statements.

The world sucks.
George Bush is an idiot.
Pie is good.

Those are opinions and at the same time statements.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
Last Stand
2004-05-23, 4:03 PM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ:
My criteria for a band to be awesome (in my eyes) is that it has at least one album (not a greatest hits) of which I like all the songs.

- Bon Jovi (These Days)
- Stratovarius (Visions)

There are other bands I like which could potentially be on this list, but I will have only heard a greatest hits or compilation album. I've heard plenty of The Beatles songs that I like, I just haven't heard a whole album... yet.
</font>

If I may venture a suggestion, I would say to listen to Revolver first. Many say that album is their greatest, and to me it is the perfect bridge between their pop days and their "serious music" days.

------------------
"This thread is still alive? Someone should kill it."
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2004-05-23, 4:22 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nubs:
If I may venture a suggestion, I would say to listen to Revolver first. Many say that album is their greatest, and to me it is the perfect bridge between their pop days and their "serious music" days.

</font>

No. Listen to Sgt. Pepper's, I think that's their best in-between album, although my favorite is Magical Mystery Tour.

------------------

2004-05-23, 5:15 PM #28
I respect The Beatles. Dont love them, dont hate them, but it's hard not to notice what they did for music.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-05-23, 7:13 PM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ:
- Bon Jovi (These Days)
- Stratovarius (Visions)</font>

I couldn't count the number of times I've listened to Money For Nothing. Sultans of Swing is one of my favourite songs, and one of my favourite to play. The lead guitar in that song, while not complicated, is pure genius.

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-05-24, 4:52 PM #30
I agree with Schming. They were that good. I disagree when he says Sgt. Pepper's is better than Revolver.

The Beatles weren't exactly pop though- well, not in the sense of pop today at least. The music industry was quite different, and rock and roll was pop. They broke several conventions of the era, like they wrote their own songs, which was unheard of in their type of music. They also rocked harder than anybody else. They had a clean image because Brian Epstein wanted professionalism.
They had an anti-commercial stance that was also very uncommon in those days. They wouldn't put out a song that was a surefire #1 because they thought it was awful. (The song was later recorded by a different band and was a #1 hit).

John, Paul, and even George were brilliant songwriters. They would combine major and minor chords to a great effect.

Even their early albums were great. Their first one has some pretty bad songs, but there's some really good ones too. Each one gets better than the last.

When they reached Rubber Soul is when the really started doing amazing things. Revolver expands on this (the final song on that album is considered an early version of techno).

How can you not think they're brilliant after you hear these songs:
I'm Only Sleeping
In My Life
Strawberry Fields Forever
If I Needed Someone
For No One
I Am the Walrus
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Happiness is a Warm Gun

------------------
All you need is love.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love
2004-05-24, 10:23 PM #31
Just a quick thanks to Daft Vader for completely getting my point! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

They are amazing, they are to be revered, but I'm not a child of the sixties, and the songs, though I appreciate their greatness, I appreciate also their place in music history - I'll never quite "get" the beatles like, say my parents did.

Oh, and I am on the other hand a MASSIVE Queen fan, so I do keep one foot firmly in the past! (I'm not just a fan of new music I think is meant to be my point there...)

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-05-25, 5:25 PM #32
the.beatles.rule.resistence.is.futile.

------------------
He who passeth in shall passeth out.
2004-05-26, 5:59 PM #33
I really like the Beatles. Got a ton on my playlist.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-05-26, 6:36 PM #34
dry gear, I love that list.

I'm Only Sleeping is one of my favorites. Have you ever heard the Stereophonics' cover of it? Good stuff.

------------------

2004-05-27, 4:23 AM #35
Who needs a list? just listen to the white album from start to finish... if that doesn't make you gobsmacked and understanding of how awesome, expansive and all-influencing the beatles are/were.... then you are musically numb.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-05-27, 5:02 PM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dry gear the frog:

They had an anti-commercial stance that was also very uncommon in those days. They wouldn't put out a song that was a surefire #1 because they thought it was awful. (The song was later recorded by a different band and was a #1 hit).
</font>

How could you possibly say they were anti-comercial? They made three movies, all for the sake of money! They started a company! They were all totally into money.

------------------
To myself I surrender to the one I'll never please.
But I still try to run on.
You know I still try to run on. But it's all or none.

Eddie Vedder
former entrepreneur

↑ Up to the top!