Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → Halou and other down-tempo
Halou and other down-tempo
2004-06-07, 8:42 AM #1
Two of my most favorite cds of all time:
Halou - Sans Soucie
Halou - We Only Love You
Her voice rocks, and the mellow tempo and atmosphere make it awesome to just listen to while lounging or whatever. I really can't describe how great these albums are.

Some other down-tempo stuff I enjoy:
Thievery Corporation - Any Album
Nightmares on Wax - Smokers Delight
Nightmares on Wax - Mind Elevation
Crustation - Bloom
Supreme Beings of Leisure - Self Titled
^^ this one is pretty decent, too
Tricky - A Rough Guide
Orbital - In Sides - p.e.t.r.o.l. < awesome track

------------------
</sarcasm>
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2004-06-08, 2:58 AM #2
Eeeeh. Thievery Corporation. I find them so generic. I've tried listening to two of their albums (Richest Man in Babylon, Sounds of the Thievery Hi-Fi ?) but there's something missing. I'd put them in the same category as Moby. As in, inexplicably popular in the United States, but which I just can't find anything special about despite several attempts [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] What am I missing?

You should get your hands on Boozoo Bajou - Satta. Really good dub album. Also, you might want to take a look at Bonobo and Funki Porcini on the NinjaTunes label ( www.ninjatunes.net ). Beth Gibbons, formerly of Portishead, has a lovely voice. Same goes for whoever sings in Lamb.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-06-08, 4:52 AM #3
Out of all the artists you've mentioned, i've only heard a solitary Tricky song... its quite enjoyable.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-06-08, 6:31 AM #4
I'll check that stuff out. I'm a big fan of Portishead and Lamb.

As far as the Thievery Corporation; It's one of those groups that puts out alot of club tracks. Their stuff isn't necessarily meant to be listened to straight off the album. Although I do enjoy the albums by themselves, I'd have to say that it's much more enjoyable hearing a DJ play it during a set. Something that applies less to more vocal groups like Halou and Lamb.

Also check out Soulstice if you haven't before!

------------------
</sarcasm>
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.

↑ Up to the top!