Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → How to become a virtuoso.
How to become a virtuoso.
2004-05-31, 12:30 PM #1
Actually, this may be boasting a little, but I'm proud of what I've achieved.

I'm covering the Children of Bodom song, Silent Night, Bodom Night, for my Shadeye demo, and I just finished recording the first solo, which is quite the beast.

the song cuts after, but it's going to be complete soon, just a little WIP showcase. =)

Silent Night, Bodom Night (Music: A. Laiho)

------------------
I'm walking towards dead end, and I'm walking all alone. Two steps ago I passed insanity - Aleksi Laiho

[This message has been edited by Seb (edited May 31, 2004).]
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-05-31, 12:40 PM #2
Beautifully played! When complete, this will be an outstanding cover.

Keep it up, Seb!

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-05-31, 12:56 PM #3
Cool music!
Already I've listend to it several times over, you should be proud.

------------------
I AM NOT SKOOJ!!!
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2004-05-31, 2:56 PM #4
now get the rest of it done
/me cracks whip

------------------
<S51> Give a man a sandwich and you'll feed him for an hour, teach him to make a sandwich and he'll get pissed, hit you and tell you to make him another sandwich.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-05-31, 3:12 PM #5
Very nice, nicely executed, though I don't know the artist personally, I give it a 10/10 [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-05-31, 5:41 PM #6
Very well done Seb. What exactly is viruoso? I remember my music teacher talking about it and me completely not following :P

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-05-31, 5:42 PM #7
Well, a virtuoso is a Term that defines someone who just completely kicks *** at their respective instrument, in layman's terms anyway. one could say Mozart was a piano virtuoso, for example =)

------------------
I'm walking towards dead end, and I'm walking all alone. Two steps ago I passed insanity - Aleksi Laiho
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-06-01, 4:03 AM #8
Very good. Very... metal-ish. And very... solo-ish.

------------------
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
2004-06-01, 9:04 AM #9
Is 'bodom' a bad word?

------------------
Flibbledy-dibbledy! Nyaaaaaaaahhh!

-The Last True Evil
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-06-01, 10:15 AM #10
Bodom is a lake in Espoo, Finland.

they named themselves after a series of unsolved murders happening at the lake, 3 (or four?, can't remember) children mysteriously killed, hence, Children of Bodom.

hope that clears stuff up.

------------------
Wake up, rise and shine, Gotta take another pint, Dig heads and watch out for the night.

[This message has been edited by Seb (edited June 01, 2004).]
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-06-01, 8:30 PM #11
Hmm... interesting melody. Love it!
The distortion sounded almost exactly like my DOD Grunge.

*sigh*
I hope to someday be able to play that fast, but I lack dexterity.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-06-02, 3:58 AM #12
Oh, but Seb, that music is absolutely superb, I shell only bow from now on for thee, my metal overlord!

Happy? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

[This message has been edited by gothicX (edited June 02, 2004).]
2004-06-02, 4:16 AM #13
Well Seb, sounds good.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-06-02, 9:47 AM #14
Awesome cover and awesome playing. Only one criticism, the tone. It's a bit muddy.

------------------
Capitalization
Commas
Periods
Question Marks
Apostrophes
Confusable Words
Plague Words
Capitalization
Commas
Periods
Question Marks
Apostrophes
Confusable Words
Plague Words
2004-06-02, 11:23 AM #15
Yeah, i know, I've noticed why I've become so frustrated playing recorded solos compared to playing them flawlessly when rehearsing, my pedal is digital, converts to analog on the output, and my soundcard -reconverts- to digital. way too much soundloss, the fast picking on the high D goes unnoticed (mainly)

For riffing, this way of recording is great, but for solos.. not so much =(

So the next step into recording gear is a dire need for microphone, but that'll go along with building an soundproof room downstairs, so yeah, not much I can do about the tone that won't require new equipment =(

by the way, I decided to change the lick at the end of the solo, to add my own touch, just thought I'd show you all

Silent Night, Bodom Night solo, last 2 measures

Sweep Picking is so awesome =D

Oh, the link at the top now is the full version, sans keyboard. But the second solo needs re-recording. so yeah. I'll make a new thread when it's completely done.

------------------
Wake up, rise and shine, Gotta take another pint, Dig heads and watch out for the night.

[This message has been edited by Seb (edited June 02, 2004).]
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-06-02, 3:07 PM #16
Wow, you're really good. I'm pretty good at the guitar, but not like that. My alternate picking isn't very fast, and gets kind of sloppy at high speeds. I don't know any guitar theory, and sweep picking is impossible to me, though I've never been really taught these techniques; just fooled around with them on my own. I'm a pretty solid player otherwise, I play pretty cleanly and I'm pretty good at stuff like tapping and palm muting etc.

How did you get so good? Any tips?

Have you been taking lessons? I've never taken them, I think once I get some money, I might.
2004-06-02, 3:19 PM #17
The trick is a metronome. I can't count the time I spent practicing sweep picking licks at slow speed and slowly increasing them. You need to practice, even if you have a job and school and all that stuff, it's not so hard to set aside an hour for just guitar and do some exercises with a metronome, and increase them as time goes on.

Hell, some of you know I've been working up north nightshift from november to march, 8 hours a night, like a normal worker, I still took the time to do exercises daily. (even though sometimes I really didn't want to..) You just need to kick your own arse sometimes, when you're started it's not hard, and after a while you actually feel guilty if you spend a day without practicing (at least I do)

Also, I highly recommend using powertab (www.powertabs.net) as a learning tool, you can slow down songs with midi, and play along until you get it right, and increase the speed as your skills go up. If it wasn't for powertab I probably wouldn't be as good either.

It's all about dedication, motivation, and setting yourself a goal. If you practice without a goal, your evolution's going to be much slower, and of course, a metronome, I can't stress how important this is for any player who wants to take a serious turn.

[edit] I took lessons, but they didn't really do anything, they were group classes and all we learned were strum-loaded pop songs like radiohead and stuff. second year was more interesting, still group classes, but this time we learned 3 classical songs, nothing too challenging at that time either, but it helped improve my ear and sense of tempo. so lessons are not always a must if you can discipline yourself enough.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Seb (edited June 02, 2004).]
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-06-02, 3:32 PM #18
I second everything Seb said, with one exception. Lessons really can help. You can self-teach, obviously it worked quite well for Seb. Lessons can help you out in broadening your musical horizons. As far as building chops, lessons aren't really necessary, all you need, like Seb said, is a metronome and discipline.

------------------
Capitalization
Commas
Periods
Question Marks
Apostrophes
Confusable Words
Plague Words
Capitalization
Commas
Periods
Question Marks
Apostrophes
Confusable Words
Plague Words
2004-06-02, 4:11 PM #19
Yeah, I take private lessons for 1 hour a week and have compared my self to people in a group for 2 hours a week.. Ive really got to say that private lessons are *far* better then group. Although, my teacher is quite talented also, so that helps.

------------------
"It's OK for us to randomly attack people!"
-BV

o.0
2004-06-03, 9:33 AM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Seb:

Also, I highly recommend using powertab (www.powertabs.net) as a learning tool, you can slow down songs with midi, and play along until you get it right, and increase the speed as your skills go up. If it wasn't for powertab I probably wouldn't be as good either.

</font>

Haven't tried powertab but guitar pro does the same and its really helpful.

------------------
/fluffle
/fluffle
2004-06-03, 10:35 AM #21
Power tab is free, high quality. and has a huge user base.

------------------
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-06-04, 1:07 PM #22
Yeah, I've got this thing called TabIt, same idea. A thing about myself is that, I've never really practiced the guitar. I've always just played. I have a musical background (I play trumpet in school band, and I have since fourth grade. I have an excellent sense of pitch and rhythm)

Maybe I should set some goals for myself and actually PRACTICE. A lesson or two might help me to get myself situated though. Hmm.
2004-06-04, 6:42 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Seb:
Yeah, i know, I've noticed why I've become so frustrated playing recorded solos compared to playing them flawlessly when rehearsing, my pedal is digital, converts to analog on the output, and my soundcard -reconverts- to digital. way too much soundloss, the fast picking on the high D goes unnoticed (mainly)</font>
I had a problem with certain notes getting killed on my digital processor, and I discovered it was because of the cabinet size simulator. If you have something like that, you might try disabling it. If it's because of the digital thing, you might need to record at a higher bitrate or frequency (or maybe both). Analog-digital conversions (and vice versa) shouldn't take more than a few nanoseconds, so something might be wrong somewhere. At the most, the sound should be delayed, not lost, so maybe you should try various things and see if it helps.

------------------
Genesis 22:2-5 - And God said unto Abraham "You must kill your son, Isaac." And Abraham said "What? I can't hear you! You'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said "Check, check, check, check. Jerry, can you pull the high end out. I'm getting some hiss up here."
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-06-05, 3:22 AM #24
Can't do that actually, my speaker simulator is pre-set and can't be changed, since it's the line-out for headphones, I'm also in dire need of a good EQ on my pedal, since all I have is a bottom and tone button on my distortion settings, and a few EQ presets (Mild, Presence, Fat, Tight) that don't really change so much. I've got a good tone, but I need to find new stuff to record with.

------------------
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-06-05, 11:21 AM #25
I noticed the other day I have a similar problem with my wah pedal (also digital). G notes become more powerful than the rest of the scale. Maybe you could try disabling certain digital effects and see if they're causing the problem.
Bottom line: Digital is usually bad when using distortion. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-06-05, 1:36 PM #26
I don't use effects other than distortion and reverb. so no.

Forgot to add, my distortion and sound is lovely when straight out of the cabinet. So no, digital distortion is good, unless you don't know how to use it properly.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Seb (edited June 05, 2004).]
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-06-05, 1:38 PM #27
these companies need to make their digital modelers with digital out (preferably through a USB port) that way you skip the digital->analog->digital between the unit and the computer

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-06-05, 7:56 PM #28
I tried to re-simulate the deadening I got on my processor once before, and I can't. The only thing I know of that has changed is the guitar I used. :-\
Oh well.
At least I can use my cab simulator again. Yay!

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited June 05, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-06-06, 8:08 PM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
these companies need to make their digital modelers with digital out (preferably through a USB port) that way you skip the digital->analog->digital between the unit and the computer
</font>

Here you go.

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-06-06, 8:33 PM #30
i don't like the sound of Line6 amp models...

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-06-07, 6:03 PM #31
Have you tried the XT Pro? It's no way similar to Line 6's other amps, or the POD for that matter.

------------------
2004-06-08, 2:08 AM #32
CoW, Do you own one? I'm actually considering selling my current multi-effects and buying a pod XT (can't afford the pro), how much do they go for in Quebec? I'm expecting something like 400-450$.

------------------
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-06-08, 8:17 AM #33
I don't, but my friend who is lead guitarist in another band has one and had lent it to me for a week.

I think the Pod XT goes for about 500$ CAD around here, but in Montreal you could probably get a better deal. Call up Steve's Music on St-Antoine and see if they have one in store.

Another great MFX pedal is the Boss GT-6, which another friend of mine owns. Is has a digital output on it, but I don't have a clue how the speaker sims sound coming into the computer.

I, sadly, sold my MFX pedal when I bought my bass guitar [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif] I should've kept it.

------------------
2004-06-08, 9:25 AM #34
Here's some sound samples of the Pod XT.

------------------
2004-06-08, 9:54 AM #35
I have my dedicated music shop in Quebec city actually, Gagne & Frères, the only official ESP dealer asides from Steve's music =D, so I gotta give them a ring, if you pass by Quebec city though, take a look at this shop, and ask for Steve, he knows his stuff.

------------------
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-06-08, 10:44 AM #36
You might try e-bay, too. You can usually get stuff really cheap (even if it's new and unopened). I got well over a hundred dollars worth of stuff for less than half of it's value.

------------------
Genesis 22:2-5 - And God said unto Abraham "You must kill your son, Isaac." And Abraham said "What? I can't hear you! You'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said "Check, check, check, check. Jerry, can you pull the high end out. I'm getting some hiss up here."
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music

↑ Up to the top!