Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → Vocalists.
Vocalists.
2004-06-10, 4:46 AM #1
Generally, I tend to listen to the music more than the singing, as more interesting things seem to be taking place there.

Then Mike Patton comes along and decides that vocals are a useful instrument, not just a feeble way of transmitting lyrics... ie, he doesn't have the same voice in every song he sings in, often makes crackers noises and generally uses his voice as an instrument, flexible is good... as i'm sure you'd agree that most vocalists have the same sounding voice on 99% of the tracks they sing on (dull).

Anyone know of any other flexible vocalists worth listening to?

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-06-10, 5:16 AM #2
I'm on a Freddie Mercury binge right now and he's relatively flexible, but he maintains the same tone throughout so I probably wouldnt compare him to Mike Patton or the like.

If you're looking for an odd but good voice, check out Starsailor. If you're looking for someone who doesnt sound the same on every song, Elton John changes it up quite a bit, but that may be more because of his long career.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-06-10, 10:21 AM #3
The Mars Volta has a unique sound. If you haven't already checked them out, give them a listen--great band.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-10, 12:54 PM #4
Maynard.

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-06-11, 8:52 AM #5
Blixa.

------------------
"The trick in life is not to find a way to make it perfect, it's to enjoy the good, strengthen your ability to deal with the bad, and keep your eyes looking forward to the good."
-Chelsea Brown
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2004-06-11, 10:35 AM #6
Both gothic metal and gothic rock kind of resolve around vocals..
2004-06-13, 7:57 AM #7
The girl from Evanescence.. what's her name..

------------------
What once was...
2004-06-13, 8:02 AM #8
Amy Lee, but she seriously sucks. Her voice is computer-edited quite a bit.
2004-06-13, 5:10 PM #9
I've seen her live; she wasn't too bad. She's definately overrated though.

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-06-14, 6:23 AM #10
I think she suxbad. Most annoying voice ever.

------------------
"Ever since I was a boy, I have always kept your laws, now I want to follow you and join you in your noble cause. Jesus turned to him and said, 'Sell all you have give to the poor.' Rich young ruler hung his head, not to follow, walked instead." - Vanishing Lesson
Think while it's still legal.
2004-06-14, 6:28 AM #11
I've heard her at two concerts, both of which sucked quite some noodles.

↑ Up to the top!