Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → Music Composition Software
Music Composition Software
2004-07-24, 2:28 PM #1
I'm a newb at this - I searched google and came up with some subpar results at best. If I wanted to tinker around with music composition, what is the best freeware/shareware for the job? Preferably something that lets you save in mp3 format, though I know some of them give you a certain number of "saves", and that's fine too.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-07-24, 4:20 PM #2
Fruity Loops is probably your best bet. I've played with it very, very little. I prefer Apple's Garage Band or Soundtrack over it.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-24, 4:40 PM #3
Thanks for the suggestion, though that isn't exactly what I am looking for. To clarify a little more: I am looking for something with a stave that I can start composing music with.

[This message has been edited by Freelancer (edited July 24, 2004).]
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-07-24, 5:28 PM #4
I know of a program that does that, I just don't remember what it is.
And you are talking about actually writing the notes down and not some silly thing that fruity loops does to represent notes.
http://www.math.bas.bg/~nkirov/2003/digit/chopin1.gif
Like that?

Anyway, i'll ask around, I think I know someone with that type of program.

------------------
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-07-24, 7:49 PM #5
The only programs I know of that use that cost money and only use midi. Some examples are Finale (which has a free version actually, called Finale Notepad), Sibelius, Cakewalk... that's all I can think of. Sibelius is the best, but it costs lots.

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-07-25, 5:09 AM #6
Sibelious is good.

Cubase can show you the written music but it does not use the sheet for composition.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-07-25, 6:49 AM #7
I'd reccommend Sibelius.

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-07-25, 7:56 AM #8
Well, I definetely recomend FL Studio 4 (fruityloops).

------------------
Massassi - Muh-Sah-See
2004-07-26, 1:05 AM #9
I'd check out NoteWorthy Composer. I've been using it for quite a long time, but it only saves to MIDI.

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-07-26, 2:28 AM #10
You could probably use noteworthy to compose the song, save it as a midi, then import it in fruity loops, replace the midi tracks with synths, add some effects and save as mp3.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-26, 11:07 AM #11
It's going to be very difficult to find a free solution. Cubase SX has exactly what you're looking for, but has quite a hefty price-tag.

------------------
</sarcasm>
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2004-07-26, 7:02 PM #12
Thanks, MaD CoW! I have actually since found NoteWorthy and have been using it. It's really quite extensive.. I had no idea midi even supported tempo and volume changes, heh. Yeah, this is really close to what I was looking for, thanks.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
2004-07-27, 2:08 AM #13
It supports reverb, chorus, and all sorts of modulation effects. Sustain pedal, etc. Have fun [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-07-29, 2:56 AM #14
Jeskola Buzz

www.buzzmachines.com

A bit more electronica inclined, but you can do pretty much anything with the right instruments.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.

↑ Up to the top!