Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → Anyone want to transcribe a solo?
Anyone want to transcribe a solo?
2004-08-10, 10:03 AM #1
http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/guitarofgold/lst?.dir=/Music&.view=l
(It's the file called "A Solo".)

I only need the fast part. I know the rest of it. But I can't figure out the fast part, which would tend to make it difficult to play. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Worship Examples - Christians' love for God should be seen and heard, not merely talked about. It is through actions that one is determined to be Christian, not through words. Words (and thoughts, as well) deceive even one's own self, but the heart speaks truth.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-08-10, 10:21 AM #2
Link doesn't work.

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-08-10, 10:27 AM #3
Aw crap. Apparently, all links to my beifcase are invalid while I'm uploading something, regardless of what folder I'm uploading to. I'll post back when it's clear.

[Terriffic. ALL of my folders quit working.
****]

[It appears that Yahoo's service in general is sucking *** right now.]

------------------
Worship Examples - Christians' love for God should be seen and heard, not merely talked about. It is through actions that one is determined to be Christian, not through words. Words (and thoughts, as well) deceive even one's own self, but the heart speaks truth.

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited August 10, 2004).]

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-08-10, 10:57 AM #4
OK. It seems to be working again... at least temporarily.

------------------
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-08-10, 2:13 PM #5
I'm doing it as we speak...

------------------

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-08-10, 2:42 PM #6
Wow. Posting and playing guitar at the same time. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-08-10, 3:18 PM #7
Code:
1-15-14-12---------------------------------------------------------------------------12-10-14-10-15-10
2----------15-15-13-15-13---13-12-13--12--------------------------------------------------------------
3------------------------12--------------14-12-14-12-11----------------------10-12-10-----------------
4------------------------------------------------------14-12------10-12-10-12-------------------------
5------------------------------------------------------------10-12------------------------------------

I'm not sure about the really fast runs, but I'm positive about the beginnings and endings of the phrases...I'll revisit it tomorrow. But if you know what chord he's on, just run through the appropriate major scale (for example, around the middle he's on a D major, and the end a G major).

^like, that's all he's doing. Just flying up and down the scale, doubling back occasionally.

------------------

-MBeggar

[This message has been edited by Tracer (edited August 10, 2004).]

COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-08-10, 3:31 PM #8
It's actually Dmaj and Cmaj, not G. But it is a G scale (D scale with a 7th).

I've tried using Goldwave to slow it down in the past, but I couldn't really get it that way either.

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-08-10, 3:59 PM #9
Again, I'll revisit it tomorrow. Are you sure it's D? Because I keep hearing F#.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">But it is a G scale (D scale with a 7th).</font>

What? Okay, you confused me.

Wait, you mean D major from G with a C natural? 'Cause that is G major.

------------------

-MBeggar

COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-08-10, 7:04 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tracer:
Are you sure it's D? Because I keep hearing F#.</font>
Yeah... so? There's an F# in the D major scale. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] For that matter, there's an F# in a D major chord.
I was talking about the chord progression. It switches back and forth between D and C. Technically, the song is in the key of D, but because of the chord progression, it uses the G major scale (which is technically a D scale with a 7th (C). Same scale, just a different name. I'll elaborate on down.) It's kind of like how a D major scale in Jazz or Blues is different than a natural D major scale.

You might make another observation that playing a C note while on the D chord sounds a bit out of place (except at certain points in timing just before or after a chord change). Doing this same thing on a D chord in the key of G would somehow sound different (even though all notes involved would be the same). (It's also similar two throwing an F into the key of G, like in this chord progression: G C F C G. According to the scale, it's in the key of C, yet the F changes the melody. In a true key of C, and F would not change the melody. Futher, I could add a D major to that chord progression, without actually changing keys.) This is another indication that the song is in D.
Basically, experimenting with 7th chords (like D7) in different keys will give you an ear for what key you're in. D7 in the key of D sounds different against the chord progression than a D7 in the key of G in a similar chord progression.

Have I confused you yet?
Basically, you determine the key of a song with both the scale and the chord progression, chord progression foremost. A blues scale in G major involves an F note and possibly a Bb note (along with other possibilities). Using only the scale to determine what key you're in (in this case) will lead you to the false conclusion that you're in Bb.

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-08-10, 7:26 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
Quote:
Big dissertion on stuff I know
</font>

You're preaching to the choir, Dogs. What confused me was how you referred to a D major scale with a 7th...all scales have a seventh degree. But you were really talking about D mixolydian.

------------------

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-08-10, 7:30 PM #12
I think he meant minor seventh, but ZING!!!! anyway!

PS: Just use a capo Dogs, it makes things easier [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-08-11, 7:25 AM #13
A capo for D?
(I generally don't use a capo for any key because it throws off the tuning of my guitar. Does there happen to be an adjustable quick-grip capo out there?)

------------------

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited August 11, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-08-11, 8:44 AM #14
I was kidding [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] My capo is a "clamp" type, and not one of the "wrap-around" ones. It doesn't really throw my tuning off unless it's not on right. Remember to clamp as close to the fret wire as possible, and that it clamps properly across all of the stings, and not more to one side.

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.

↑ Up to the top!