Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → "Progressive"
"Progressive"
2004-08-22, 5:45 PM #1
What does "Progressive" mean?

For example, how does "progressive house" differ from regular house?

And I still don't get the difference between a remix and a dub. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-22, 5:53 PM #2
[/b]pro·gres·sive P Pronunciation Key (pr-grsv)
adj.
Moving forward; advancing.
Proceeding in steps; continuing steadily by increments: progressive change.[/b]

Basicly describing a song that starts out simple and picks up later on.

As for your other question:

a remix: more general term used to describe a new modified, usually more upbeat, version of a song. However, the real definition would mean taking a sample from an existing song and adding to it.

A redub is replacing those same samples with something else.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-22, 7:22 PM #3
Here's a page about [url=http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE4791FDF46A87420D09A3A4BC7B161FB07D914ADD93E284541D1B43844C30E79EC40E28091E5A124F63BE3F731A65910D1CAEE52B0DD6C3D3587EDA370 4943&sql=77:3247]progressive house[/url]
It doesn't really talk about the characteristics of the style though.

------------------
All you need is love.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love

↑ Up to the top!