Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → Alternative Rock
Alternative Rock
2004-09-07, 7:34 PM #1
Doesn't it (forgive the pun) rock?

I like a lot of music within this ambiguous genre.

:(
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-09-07, 8:18 PM #2
Well, I guess Primus is technically classified as alternative (as if you could actually label Primus), so yeah, I guess I do like it.
2004-09-07, 9:34 PM #3
I liked alternative rock back before it turned into crap.
Or, after Nirvana.

Alternative rock nowadays is pop music with slightly sludgier guitars and singers with slightly rougher voices.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love
2004-09-08, 10:40 AM #4
Pixies.

'nuff said. :)
2004-09-08, 10:48 AM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by dry gear the frog
I liked alternative rock back before it turned into crap.
Or, after Nirvana.

Alternative rock nowadays is pop music with slightly sludgier guitars and singers with slightly rougher voices.

That would be pop rock, not alternative, in my eyes. Bands like Coldplay get the alternative label these days, and that's not a bad thing.
Pissed Off?
2004-09-08, 11:03 AM #6
MIKE PATTON

and a few other bands rock
2004-09-08, 5:53 PM #7
Coldplay...copious amounts of <3
D E A T H
2004-09-08, 7:21 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Wuss
Pixies.

'nuff said. :)

Indeed!
But you can't forget Sonic Youth, REM, or Echo and the Bunnymen either!

Quote:
That would be pop rock, not alternative, in my eyes. Bands like Coldplay get the alternative label these days, and that's not a bad thing.

I would also consider Coldplay to be more pop-rock than alternative. Radiohead would be closer to alternative.
The type of band I mentioned would be better shoveled into "hard rock", which is a genre to avoid nowadays.
2004-09-08, 8:12 PM #9
Coldplay are just Radiohead without the weirdness.

If Coldplay werent popular, they would be alternative rock, as per the definition of 'popular' rock.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-09-08, 10:34 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Spork
Coldplay are just Radiohead without the weirdness.

If Coldplay werent popular, they would be alternative rock, as per the definition of 'popular' rock.

I don't know if popularity would really factor into it anymore.
To be honest, I don't know enough about Coldplay. I have both of their albums, but I don't really know how to pin them down. I'll have to see what direction they go in for their next album.
2004-09-08, 10:38 PM #11
It's possible to be popular and still be alternative.
Pissed Off?
2004-09-09, 9:59 AM #12
I know. I said in my previous post "I don't know if popularity would really factor into it anymore."

↑ Up to the top!