Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → Amplifiersss
Amplifiersss
2006-04-16, 7:22 PM #1
Suggest!

Im looking for one arounnnnd $200

I really dont know what im looking for though.

I would like something with a nice clean tone (ska omg) as well as something that has a nice distortion.

[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-04-16, 8:25 PM #2
$200?

Roland Cube 30 - http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLCUBE30 - $25 over your budget, but try it out.

You might also want to check out the Vox AD30VT (Schming hates them IIRC, but I think they sound as great as anything) - http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXAD30VT

Also the Line 6 Spider II.

You can get sound clips for any of these amps on the manufacturers web sites. And as modelling amps (digital preamp sections that emulate renowned classic amplifiers), you can also use the line out on those amps to record directly to your computer without the hassle of micing up the amp, good for dorm room and simple demo recording.
2006-04-16, 8:30 PM #3
http://www.voxamps.co.uk/downloads/AD30VTdemo-guitarist.mp3 - A demo of the Vox amp, very british (duh, it's Vox :p), but would definitely sound good for ska, IMO.
2006-04-16, 9:19 PM #4
If you ever plan on playing a show I'd just wait and save up to buy a halfstack or something.
2006-04-16, 9:47 PM #5
Having done some live sound for small venues, I find that halfstacks are useless in most show situations (IMO). They're overkill for bars and small venues with PA systems, where you practically have to use a powerbrake (like a THD Hotplate) to be able to crank the amp to get the tubes cooking, but at a manageable volume.

It's best to go with a lower-wattage, great-sounding amp that you can crank and then mic it up. It sucks to have a Dual Rectifier in a small bar where you can hardly turn the volume past one. Rectos sound like crap when they aren't cranked, as do most tube amps.

And I say tubes because getting a transistor half-stack is just a waste of money, IMO. If you're going to blow that much cash on a tranny stack, get a small tube combo. It'll probably be louder too, even with a lower watt rating.
2006-04-16, 10:57 PM #6
Cube 60 + mic = kickass live show

don't listen to the kiddies who want huge stacks, they can't play little amps, so they need huge stuff to smear their ****ty tone.

one good 12" speaker with kickass preamp/poweramp is what you need. and the roland cube 60 is the most versatile combo amp i've ever tried.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2006-04-16, 11:12 PM #7
Hey now, that's kind of an *** hole generalization to make...
2006-04-16, 11:13 PM #8
but it's true.

really now, what kind of tone do you like? down tuned to low C mud with cut mids and high treble and bass? how do you expect your tone to cleanly cut through the band mix? luck? or maybe hoping your drummer will have a drum that has all the midrange needed to boost your lacking tone?

Dream on. or maybe check out real down tuned bands who use actual 7 strings instead of downtuned off-key guitars. dream theater, nevermore...
"NAILFACE" - spe
2006-04-17, 11:46 AM #9
Originally posted by Shintock:
a bunch of stuff about playing bars.

This is why you dont buy 100+w heads/Marshall products.

Actually, this is why you dont play in bars or smaller venues.

It's not so much that I hate VOX's. I just hate their digital line of amps because I've had bad experiences with them breaking every week/in the middle of shows. If you want a good amp for under $200 check out...

http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXV9168R - my original amp. Still use it as a backup sometimes. Just mic it.
http://www.wildwestguitars.com/orangehome.htm - The Crush combo series sound great.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-04-17, 1:50 PM #10
Personally, I second schming's suggestion about the Orange crush combos.

I have a 15R, love it, and it can most likely give the kind of tone you're looking for.
nope.
2006-04-17, 6:06 PM #11
True, I forgot about the Orange Crush. Definitely a nice amp worth considering.

And Schming, I know you had bad experiences with the digital series, but I also know a few people who own amps from that series and have not had any troubles at all.
2006-04-18, 10:35 AM #12
Originally posted by Schming:
Actually, this is why you dont play in bars or smaller venues.

Yes. Because everyone can start off playing arenas.
>>untie shoes
2006-04-18, 2:15 PM #13
Smaller venues are more intimate anyway, as an audience member I prefer them.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-04-19, 11:30 AM #14
Originally posted by Detty:
Smaller venues are more intimate anyway, as an audience member I prefer them.

Alright, let me fix it.

"Actually, this is why you don't play bars/billiard halls."
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-04-29, 4:34 PM #15
bump-

so far the only ones ive managed to try out are the Line 6 (bleh) and the Vox (whooaaaa)

So yea, right now, im leaning towards the vox. Im going to check one more place to see if they ahve the others.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-04-29, 6:03 PM #16
dont listen to shintock, if you're playing small venues you need something HUGE

the more people with tears in their eyes and fingers in the ears, the better.
2006-04-29, 6:41 PM #17
Tech 21 Trademark 10 $250 new you can possibly grab a used one for ~$200

it's basically a sansamp gt2 in a 10 watt amp great for playing at home or on the stage
eat right, exercise, die anyway

↑ Up to the top!