Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → Trip Hop
Trip Hop
2006-06-28, 5:39 PM #1
After getting into Massive Attack, I suddenly realized that Trip Hop is exactly the kind of ambient, background music I've always been looking for. The problem with most music is that you pay too much attention to it--thus, the only thing I can usually do while listening to music is chat, read a book, or write or something. I usually get distracted fairly easily by good music, even if I've heard it a million times before.

I just recently picked up This gem, which made me realize how much I really really like Trip Hop.

So, share your Trip Hop artists who you enjoy, or mooch off the artists listed within. So far I've found I really enjoy Mr. Scruff (though some of his stuff is more beatboxing/dj'ing), Massive Attack of course, and Boards of Canada.
D E A T H
2006-06-28, 6:03 PM #2
Kruder & Dorfmeister are pretty good as well
2006-06-28, 7:38 PM #3
As far as ambient goes, I love 1 Mile North. Some of my favorites from them are Evil Architecture, New Clock, and Man Rounds Corner.

Massive Attack is really good too.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2006-06-29, 9:34 AM #4
If you enjoy Massive Attack, then you should check out Portishead.
2006-06-30, 4:43 AM #5
Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky.

Massive Attack is by far my favourite though. Triphop is just another kind of music I really enjoy, but never dug deep into, because for me it's also mainly 'background music'. So I only know some of the famous artists... My bad, haha. I'll check out that CD you mentioned.

I guess I'm too busy delving into the underground scenes of rock music to concentrate on finding out more about triphop. Same goes with rap. I really dig it, I'm just not actively checking the stuff out. Every once in a while I'll notice something cool and remember it.

I saw a Portishead gig on TV once (I think it may have been the NYC Roseland concert that also got released on CD - not entirely sure though), and was seriously impressed by the performance. I'd never thought music like that could be so powerful, live. I know a lot of good rock bands are better live, than on record, but somehow I didn't expect the same thing possible for triphop.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-06-30, 11:14 AM #6
Well, as far as rap goes, [url]www.rhymesayers.com[/url] has the best rappists around, by far in my opinion.

[url]www.myspace.com/atmosphere[/url]
[url]www.myspace.com/CunninLynguists[/url] (they're actually on anticon iirc)
[url]www.myspace.com/brotherali[/url]
[url]www.myspace.com/sagefrancis[/url]
D E A T H
2006-06-30, 12:10 PM #7
Awesome, thanks.

On the subject of rap: ever heard Loop Troop?
2006-06-30, 12:12 PM #8
Sure haven't. The underground rap scene is huge though, I'd never be able to keep up with it all. I just do the best I can.

Also:

[url]www.myspace.com/jurassic5[/url]
[url]www.myspace.com/eyedeaandabilities[/url]
D E A T H
2006-06-30, 4:31 PM #9
Yeah, true. These guys are indeed far from famous. I was surprised to find out they were from Sweden, actually. I think they have some insane flows, and the beats are even better. The lyrics may be too political for some people's tastes, though.

They sound really dopey, even though I heard they're all straight-edge, haha. Dunno if that is rumour or truth though. Anyway, I recommend.

I'll check out those others you mentioned.
2006-06-30, 6:05 PM #10
Originally posted by BurrBoy:
As far as ambient goes, I love 1 Mile North. Some of my favorites from them are Evil Architecture, New Clock, and Man Rounds Corner.

I love 1 Mile North... great music to study to.

I agree with Wuss... check out Portishead.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2006-06-30, 6:24 PM #11
Originally posted by Whelly:
I love 1 Mile North... great music to study to.

I always listen to Glass Wars when I'm doing homework. I have heard a fews songs from, but have yet to buy Minor Shadows
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2006-06-30, 7:38 PM #12
Zero 7 is good trip hop. Makes great chill-out music.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-06-30, 8:43 PM #13
Thievery Corporation
Nightmares on Wax
Halou (DnB inspired DT, very techy my personal fav)
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Mr Scruff

Umm I guess you guys nailed most the major ones.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2006-06-30, 8:47 PM #14
Goddamn you Mentis. Goddamn you to hell.
D E A T H
2006-07-02, 6:45 AM #15
How have none of you brought up DJ Krush?
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-07-02, 11:51 AM #16
Oh yeah, Mr. Scruff is the beast.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."

↑ Up to the top!