Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → wtf guitar tabs!
wtf guitar tabs!
2006-07-26, 10:54 AM #1
ok.. so there is this website, ULTIMATE-GUITAR.com that I used to visit for all my guitar needs from viewing their classified forums with items for sale, to almost any guitar tab I could think of...

Now I try to access the page and it doesn't work.. I go to another tab website GUITARTABS.com and I see this:

Quote:
Today I received a certified letter from Moses & Singer LLP, a law firm in New York City which asserts that they are acting as counsel for the National Music Publishers Association and The Music Publishers Association of America. They have stated that guitar tablature hosted on my site violates the copyrights of several of their clients.

I have long been of the understanding that an original, by-ear transcription of a song, which is a duplicate of no copyrighted work and which generally deviates substantially from the work on which it is based is the property of its transcriber, and not the original composer of the song. The NMPA and MPA clearly disagree, and are threatening to send a DMCA letter to my host, as well as pursue other undisclosed legal actions in the event that I were to fall short of full cooperation with their demands.

I have not yet decided what response is appropriate. This site has been a part of my life for ten years now, and I honestly believe that what I'm doing is neither illegal nor harmful to the music publishing industry. My site generates interest in playing music, which can only lead to more purchases of licensed sheet music. In addition, I have referred tens of thousands of dollars in licensed sheet music sales to my affiliates over the years. The notion that a musician serious enough to spend $30 on a sheet music book would instead settle for a by-ear tablature interpretation seems unlikely to me. Whlie highly paid laywers may easily be able to use corrupt, recently-manipulated and poorly-tested copyright law to suggest that I am violating the law, the argument that I have actually damaged their industry in the process seems ludicrous.

I have not had a chance to scan the letter yet, but I have typed it out. Please excuse any typoes I have made in haste.

The letter can also be read from that same page. http://www.guitartabs.com/nmpa.php?PHPSESSID=d6743aa6339d1be6467c301ad46c0702

>:|

god **** this ******* **** ****** ***** **** *****
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-07-26, 11:30 AM #2
The whole music industry needs to burn.

Check out http://powertabs.net/ though. You'll have to download a third party program/player, but it's very nice.
2006-07-26, 11:37 AM #3
[URL=www.mxtabs.net]www.mxtabs.net[/URL] had to shut down also, and they have just about the same message up on their sight.

I would mind alot more, except my ear is finally getting good enough to figure out a lot of the songs I like by ear.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2006-07-26, 12:12 PM #4
Ultimate-Guitar.com works just fine for me.

But I agree with you, music industry must die. Especially since no copyrights are really actually being infringed. It's just the user's interpretation of the song. If the tabs were copied directly from the printed material, then yeah, copyright infringment. But when pretty much all the tabs are transcribed by ear by the users, then I don't see any problem whatsoever.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-07-26, 12:19 PM #5
911tabs.com links you to a number of other tab websites, allowing you to find a lot more tabs for each song. Also, they don't have any tab on their website, so they can't really get shut down.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-07-26, 12:29 PM #6
Originally posted by Ric_Olie:
Ultimate-Guitar.com works just fine for me.

But I agree with you, music industry must die. Especially since no copyrights are really actually being infringed. It's just the user's interpretation of the song. If the tabs were copied directly from the printed material, then yeah, copyright infringment. But when pretty much all the tabs are transcribed by ear by the users, then I don't see any problem whatsoever.

Hm interesting.. maybe something is wrong with their name servers or my ISP dns?

And I agree completly, it doesn't make any sense. It seems like their only arguement is 'well we're losing money because of freely offered tabs..' but noting actually illegal is being done.
2006-07-26, 2:08 PM #7
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]The whole music industry needs to burn.

Check out http://powertabs.net/ though. You'll have to download a third party program/player, but it's very nice.[/QUOTE]

You can also try out [url]www.mysongbook.com[/url], this requires a different 3rd party programme, but IMO it's superior to powertab anyway.

And yes, Music Industry should burn, but Ultimate-Guitar shows up normal for me.
nope.
2006-07-26, 4:29 PM #8
MySongBook.com lived the same fate as well. Any non-original songs are all locked out for now.
2006-07-29, 12:47 PM #9
It doesn't make any sense..

So they are saying: If I sat and listened to a song.. and decided, I want to tab this song to share with other people that are learning. I'm not 'aloud' to becuase their arguement is they are losing money?

bull****
2006-07-29, 1:29 PM #10
effing retards.

↑ Up to the top!