Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → Pickups
Pickups
2006-12-29, 6:00 PM #1
Okay so some of you know that ive been looking into buying a new pickup for my guitar (Fender strat american)

The 2 pickups ive been looking at are the Seymour Duncan JB Jr and the JB SH-1.

First is a single coil slot pickup, second is a Humbucker. Theres a chance that they would need to cut out some wood in order to fit in the humbucker.

So i have until next friday to decide really what id like to do about this. Should I just go for it and get the humbucker no matter what?
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-12-29, 8:35 PM #2
Make damn sure that you like this particular humbucker before you start cutting holes in your guitar.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2006-12-30, 4:48 AM #3
um.

pickguards?
"NAILFACE" - spe
2006-12-30, 4:54 AM #4
what
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2006-12-30, 5:09 AM #5
strats are front loaded. all he'd need to do is replace the pickguard with one with a humbucker slot instead of a single coil.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2006-12-30, 7:42 AM #6
Depends on the guitar body actually. Behind some strat pickguards the pickup slots are actually cut in 3 separate sections for 3 single coils.

But yeah, If some cutting is done to make the gap larger for a hum pup, you would only need to switch back to a pickguard set for 3 single coils if you wanted and it would cover any hole.
nope.
2006-12-30, 9:52 AM #7
Yea thats what I was told. I dont feel like taking off the pickgaurd to see what I have. I tapped on the plastic a little bit and it sounds a little hollow underneath. So I'm just hoping that he wont have to cut out some of that wood.

He said it would cost about $70 or $80 including the pickup, but could cost about $130/140 if he has to make cuts.
2006-12-30, 12:51 PM #8
geez. you're so lazy. removing the pickguard doesn't require you to remove the strings.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2006-12-30, 2:33 PM #9
<_< okay so maybe ill check tomorrow.

So far im leaning towards just getting the humbucker anyway.
2006-12-30, 5:39 PM #10
You could always just unscrew the left hand side of the pickguard and peek inside if you don't want to take it completely off.
nope.
2006-12-31, 1:32 PM #11
I like the sounds you can get out of a single coil... although I love the humbuckers on my SG. I would say, go with the single coil and then get another guitar for your humbuckerdom.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2007-01-01, 1:30 PM #12
Personally I'm a fan of single-coils in the neck and a Hum in the bridge.

But yes, SGs are awesome. :P
nope.
2007-01-01, 1:40 PM #13
well i just made a bunch of monies, so i think itd make the most sense to just get the humbucker anyway. I dont really have the money to get another guitar.
2007-01-01, 2:09 PM #14
you can coil tap the '59 you're getting. i did it, and it sounds just fine and clucky like any good single coil can.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2007-01-16, 7:37 AM #15
the JB Jr isn't really a single coil... it's a humbucker in a single coil size

it's sound is JBish
eat right, exercise, die anyway

↑ Up to the top!