Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → Stressed smart teens turn to metal!
Stressed smart teens turn to metal!
2007-03-21, 8:52 PM #1
teehee

Quote:
Intelligent teenagers often listen to heavy metal music to cope with the pressures associated with being talented, according to research.

The results of a study of more than 1,000 of the brightest five per cent of young people will come as relief to parents whose offspring, usually long-haired, are devotees of Iron Maiden, AC/DC and their musical descendants.

Researchers found that, far from being a sign of delinquency and poor academic ability, many adolescent "metalheads" are extremely bright and often use the music to help them deal with the stresses and strains of being gifted social outsiders.

I know I just drove home from work to some...
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2007-03-21, 9:49 PM #2
Well, it seemed good until the "The heavy metal fans in the study had lower self-esteem and more difficulties in family relationships and friendships."

Bah!
2007-03-21, 9:54 PM #3
hahahahahah
2007-03-22, 5:06 AM #4
If they were really smart they could figure out how to deal with problems without subjecting themselves to metal!
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-03-22, 2:24 PM #5
Originally posted by SMOCK!:
If they were really smart they could figure out how to deal with problems without subjecting themselves to metal!

>:[

I'm going to go listen to some DEEEIIIICCIIIIIIDE :argh:
2007-03-22, 3:03 PM #6
Hm, study was done at my old university.

They were going well until they misspelled DragonForce.

I find it odd that they use Iron Maiden and DragonForce as examples, because they're not thrash metal. They're not the kind of music you listen to as stress relief, they're the kind of uplifting music you sing along to.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-03-22, 11:01 PM #7
...............riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-03-23, 7:20 AM #8
I can't help but point out that DragonForce are terrible.
nope.
2007-03-23, 9:40 AM #9
Augh. How can they put "... bands including System of a Down, Slipknot, Tool, Dragon Force" in the same sentence? They're like... four polar opposites of each other.

I think the thrashiness quote is an example of a reporter reporting on something that they don't understand. They probably got the quote from someone who was into thrash, and then googled "Top metal bands" or something, and picked some random ones. That's my theory, anyway.

But srsly. System of a Down, Slipknot, Tool, and DragonForce? They're north south east and west..
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-03-23, 9:41 AM #10
Also! What is it with you brits and your obsession with "antisocial behavior?"

I don't understand.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-03-23, 10:07 AM #11
retard children.
2007-03-24, 3:32 AM #12
I just read an article in the Herald Tribune about hoodies, chavs, and asbos. It told me what I already knew: British kids are stupid.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-03-25, 10:36 AM #13
I can agree there and the fact that I've got the 8.14AM train to Maidstone East is something I don't relish. Hoodied school kids are not pleasant folk, they are like little children with the mental age of 5.
2007-03-25, 4:53 PM #14
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I can't help but point out that DragonForce are terrible.

I swear, all their songs are straight up retooled from other songs.

I'm convinced that Through the Fire and Flames is actually Hotel California but faster.

Darn of a New Day or something like that is Heaven by Warrant.

Dragonforce=good for passing entertainment.

Not good for lasting musical value.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-03-26, 10:50 AM #15
Given that Through the Fire and Flames sounds nothing like Hotel California I don't see your argument. DragonForce is for rocking out fun, it's not meant to be serious and meaningful.
Flickr Twitter
2007-03-26, 10:54 AM #16
According to many people I know who are into their metal, prog etc. They're absolutely atrocious live.
nope.
2007-03-26, 1:27 PM #17
From what i've seen of videos they're atrocious live, they sound incredibly sloppy. But the albums are produced well so I'm happy.
Flickr Twitter
2007-03-27, 12:28 PM #18
does that mean stressed smart teens are pretentious rock snobs? i know too many metal fans who need killing in the eyeballs.
2007-03-27, 2:11 PM #19
I ran some tests.

I slowed down Through the Fire and The Flames, and I also tried to speed up Hotel California, and they don't sound anything alike. :p
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-03-27, 5:28 PM #20
I love my Dragonforce CD's, but yes, they are so awful live. It's like they are all playing different songs.
Think while it's still legal.
2007-03-27, 7:44 PM #21
Originally posted by Spook:
I swear, all their songs are straight up retooled from other songs.

I'm convinced that Through the Fire and Flames is actually Hotel California but faster.

Darn of a New Day or something like that is Heaven by Warrant.

Dragonforce=good for passing entertainment.

Not good for lasting musical value.

I've never even heard of them so I don't have an opinion on their music, but honestly, just because their songs sound like other songs doesn't make their music bad. That's like saying The Wheel of Time series sucks, because it's similar to Lord of the Rings.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2007-03-29, 9:41 AM #22
Tell you what, on the train the other day. I was listening to World Coming Down by Type O Negative (really loud) and these school kids gathered round to hear what I was listening to and one said "whats that?" and some one them were appering to be tapping along to the track. Yeah the track was "Pyretta Blaze" and is quite catchy even to those who even hate Heavy Metal in every form. For most of the journey I just had eyes on me all the time and found it funny that people seemed to be bothered by it. It was not as loud as some of the pop trash being played on their little mobile phones. :)

↑ Up to the top!