Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → Buying an electric guitar
Buying an electric guitar
2008-01-09, 2:21 PM #1
Fancier model, purchased used and perhaps not in the best condition, or brand new entry-level guitar?

Namely: Ibanez RG350/470/etc used and maybe damaged
Or: Ibanez GRG170dx

Edit: Forgot to mention, I AM a beginner and am trying not to spend more than $300 at the most on the guitar itself.
Warhead[97]
2008-01-09, 8:59 PM #2
If yuor a beginner, then get one of those starter packs, its best to get the ephone one, squire = lame and same with ibanez, if you ever do get searious, look into brands like gibson, that works for everything, if you want metal the esp ltd, or maby a nice jackson....
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2008-01-10, 10:12 AM #3
Eh, squier is fine for a starter guitar.
Last edited by mb; today at 10:55 AM.
2008-01-10, 10:27 AM #4
I disagree. I have a Squier from about ten years ago and it's pretty good for what it is (I've had some work done on it, and it's better than a stock Mexican strat in my opinion), but all the ones I've played in recent years have been pretty bad.

Anyways, the best thing to do is get someone knowledgeable to go to the store with you and test drive both of them. Or you could just ask the salesman.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-01-10, 10:40 AM #5
Please stay away from a starter pack unless its extraordinarily exceptional.

I don't know if I'd touch the ESP ltds you can get new in that price range either, I've heard stock it sounds muddy as hell. The 350dx looks nice if you can find someone selling one since they're about $400 new.

Personally if that was my price range I'd look at something like this but its all personal preference and I'm not sure thats what you'd be looking for.

:P

I think the best thing to do is just shop around and see what you like.

Failing that wait for Seb to post. :P

Edit: Also, squires aren't even made from what I'd call wood. They're literally made of plywood. They're horrid.
nope.
2008-01-10, 12:28 PM #6
Well, my only problem is that, silly as it is, I hate the way that squires look. The headstock just bothers me. It's like a weird phobia or something, haha. But the only music store in town only carries fender stuff as far as I've seen in there. No variety to help me figure it out.

I think I might go to tulsa or OKC this weekend to see if I can find a store with a decent selection so I can try some out. That esp is nice, though it's visually not my style...if it sounds good though, that'd be cool.
Warhead[97]
2008-01-10, 12:57 PM #7
Yeah, I agree. I really dislike the big goofy strat headstock.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-01-10, 1:08 PM #8
Me too, but at least they don't try to make it look as metal as possible like a BC Rich. :P

You could always change the neck. So long as you get the right shaped socket, on a strat its a case of undoing 4 bolts and the neck plate on the back and screw in the new one.
nope.
2008-01-11, 5:00 AM #9
you don't ask a beginner to change his neck like that...

I'll post some more when at work. there's quite a few nice starter packs this year.

if you want just the guitar for under 300, look at these

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-006-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=518183

schecter is a rising brand with alot of bang for the buck. don't underestimate the power of the dark side.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Godin-Detour-Electric-Guitar?sku=511870

very solid guitar. I own two godin's. the exit 22 is also very good, but i don't wanna suggest my own models. note, the godin pickups are incredible for the price,

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518291

can't ever go wrong with a g-400. when you get better, change the pickups for real gibsons and you have one heck of an axe.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kramer-Striker-FR422SM-Electric-Guitar?sku=515339

Kramer have been the best ''cheap but good'' guitar since the 80's. this one looks sweet for the price.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Vendetta-1-Electric-Guitar?sku=512914

the dean vendetta is very solid. the finish is great, the feel is nice, and the price is right..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-HP-Signature-EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=511393

HUH. 300$ ?? this guitar -cost- us around 400 at the store i work at. if you can afford it, get it. peavey are underrated.

even if you don't like any of these, i hope you take it as an example of WHAT to look for in a 300$ guitar.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2008-01-11, 7:56 AM #10
Wow, those are some nice guitars. I hadn't even noticed most of those while looking around. Looks like I have a lot more options than I thought. So I take it you don't particularly recommend a used guitar?
Warhead[97]
2008-01-11, 8:27 AM #11
Well, I'd buy a used guitar if it's worth it. but that's because I can tell if it's good or not by experience. it's something you can't really do for sure, so unless you have a friend that plays well and can tell you if it's a good bargain or not... I'd go new. new also has warranty and stuff so it helps.

and I owned a RG370.. for 2 months. couldn't stand that guitar. horrible piece of ****. if that's any pointer.

also, don't go into a store asking if a used guitar you'd buy from somebody is worth it, they're biased and they'll tell you you'd be better off buying new.

of course, that's what I'm telling too, but the difference is i know you won't buy at my store so you can trust me :P

it all comes down to the style you like, the shape, and the music you wanna play. tell me these and i'll dig up some more guitars.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2008-01-11, 10:47 AM #12
Well, the reason I was looking more into ibanez rgs is that they look exactly like I like and they have 24 frets, which I also like. As far as music goes, I like everything, but I guess I especially like hard rock and metal.
Warhead[97]
2008-01-11, 2:54 PM #13
Don't fall into the 24 fret trap. I'm a seasonned player and I'm fine with 22. doesn't stop me from doing crazy stuff. just some advice like that....
"NAILFACE" - spe
2008-01-11, 3:53 PM #14
Must be an overreaction from playing an acoustic with no cutout, haha.
Warhead[97]
2008-01-11, 8:32 PM #15
Well!! i can get where you're coming from now. haha
"NAILFACE" - spe

↑ Up to the top!