Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → What Makes Van Halen Acording To You
What Makes Van Halen Acording To You
2008-02-20, 9:13 PM #1
Me and a friend of mine have been debating this for a long time now. I say that its Roth that made Hanel. The only good cd's are the ones with him. He says Its Eddie.

Once you learn to play guitar you realize that he is not that amazing. Tapping is not anything hard to master.

My point is David Lee Roth kicks *** and he made Van Halen work.

BUT WHAT DO YOU TIHNK?!?
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2008-02-20, 9:24 PM #2
I think you are a moron. Eddie Van Halen is a God amongst guitarists. Also you forgot Sammy, but screw him anyway. Roth > Hagar
Think while it's still legal.
2008-02-20, 11:31 PM #3
For once I agree with SAJN. Eddie is an unbelievable guitarist, both in terms of technical skill and composing talent.

Playing songs other people have written is always easy. I used to be able to play Mozart on the clarinet in the fifth grade, so I guess he just wasn't that great.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-02-21, 5:14 AM #4
I agree about you being a moron.

On top of that did they have any songs apart from Jump and Panama?

:P
nope.
2008-02-21, 9:15 AM #5
Of course Eddie made Van Halen.

and you probably don't really know much about guitar and tone if you say 'tapping isn't so hard to master' the way eddie used it in a musical and groundbreaking fashion shaped the rock music of today.

Yes, it's easy to play. but can you sound as good as him? I can say that if i put my heart to it, i'll manage to emulate his phrasing and playing. But his playing is definitely not just about tapping. The whole musical aspect is what matters.

Did you know Van Halen almost didn't get signed because of Roth's particular voice back in the 70's? good thing he had charisma and that record labels were looking for new talent and that we were in the 70's.

(rant) But of course, if tapping is so easy, i expect you to smoothly shift between Amaj7 - Bmin7 using the lydian and dorian modes respectively, while improvising. You kids really have no idea what it takes to be a working guitarist, it's not just chops, it's how you use them. widdle 5h8t12 all you want, it's not gonna get you gigs. (/rant)
"NAILFACE" - spe
2008-02-21, 10:03 AM #6
Originally posted by Seb:
...widdle 5h8t12 all you want, it's not gonna get you gigs. (/rant)

I laughed because that's the only tapping I can do. ^_^ (That and whatever the intro to that AC/DC song is...you know the one)
Think while it's still legal.

↑ Up to the top!