Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → My latest work!
My latest work!
2003-09-18, 2:37 PM #1
[http://www.massassi.net/ec/view.php3?user_id=7283]

This is a screenshot of the underground base in my new level. Questions? Comments? And gothicX and Cazor keep the critic level down please.

------------------
Why wont you be a good boy and die? - various movies
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2003-09-18, 2:39 PM #2
[http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/12768.jpg]

There ya go. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

That ceiling texture is in awful need of changing. Better than my first "real" level, though! By far! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

[This message has been edited by Zell (edited September 18, 2003).]
DO NOT WANT.
2003-09-18, 3:05 PM #3
Gah, I thought gothicX was a tad less critical than most. Cazor too. Cazor just likes to flaunt his 'skills' [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif] with words like 'vertex' and 'bezier patches' [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

I'm just kidding btw, cazor.

------------------
saberopus
2003-09-18, 3:15 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Prince Xizor:
Questions? Comments? And gothicX and Cazor keep the critic level down please.

</font>

I will never respect you again.

------------------
New Half-Life 2 Screenshots! (Updated Daily)

[This message has been edited by Thrawn42689 (edited September 18, 2003).]
2003-09-18, 4:20 PM #5
I think you should be addressing jedikirby, if anyone, about critical levels... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

It reminds me a little too much of the Cairn level from the original game to be honest.

------------------
This randomness was brought to you by Generic Brand Dog Biscuits. Making Sparky puke all over the carpet since 1986!
[Insert the wittiest, most cynical thing you will ever lay eyes on here.]
2003-09-18, 4:38 PM #6
hello?

------------------
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2003-09-18, 5:19 PM #7
I very rarely give hard crits unless the level really needs work, i have seen better from the author in the past, or i dont like the author. This Only needs some logical light sources... and please get it to JA. I cannot stand looking at JO anymore [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] Its just so primative.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.

The Matrix Unplugged|The Valley of the Jedi Tower|Smaug's Lair
2003-09-18, 5:35 PM #8
Has a nice look to it, lack of light sources excepted. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] You maybe should lose that strangely shaped beam on the far wall, too. Trim along some of the edges, specifically where textures just run off, would make it look a lot more professional. $.02
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2003-09-18, 9:39 PM #9
If you were referring to my "review" of your first map; well, that one just deserved it.

And as for your Showcase: Looks pretty imperial, only think I don't really like is the fact that some things don't look logical. As mentioned the lighting, but also the "pillar" which is directly next to the wall. Doesn't look quite realistic, as it wouldn't be able to support anything. As well, the texture on those brushes in the middle doesn't look very good, as well as the ceiling one and the one below the lookout.

For the rest, I don't have that many bad comments. I think it looks much better than your first level, and you improved quite well. In the lookout, I also see some nice shadows (I think) which indicates good use of q3map2 shadow opions. Is this gonna be the same map as the one from the outdoor, greyscale you posted a while ago in your EC?

------------------
In case you didn't notice in the post above, my English teacher is NOT my best friend...
2003-09-19, 1:25 AM #10
There must be something wrong here because i cant see any of the posts on my thread.

------------------
2003-09-19, 4:33 AM #11
I'm not a bad reviewer, I'm just critical.

and I've got lots of problems with this level.

There are way too many cuts and bumps that are supposed to make the level look better, but they're only proving to be useless and out of place. The beam running along the wall to the right serves no purpose, the beems in the catwalk would do absolutely nothing for the catwalk, and the stuff below the catwalk on the wall look strange as well. I feel a loss of human symmetry, as where the room just plain feels shaped wrong. I like the texture use, but the lighting needs great work. It could also just be a horrible POV...

JediKirby

------------------
"I was driving along listening to the radio, when Judas Priest comes on. It was 'You've got another thing coming.' All of a sudden, I enter 'VICE CITY RAMAGE MODE' and nearly ran some guy over"
- ]-[ellequin
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2003-09-19, 4:53 AM #12
SWEET JEBUS!
[http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]

About a week or so before JO was released, I had a dream about playing it. I was playing I a room with a walkway type thing on part of the ceiling, boxes around the place, and a funky space ship in the middle. And from what I can see in that screen shot, it looks almost exactly like the level I had a dream about playing.

Oh, nice work btw. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
My Deviations
2003-09-19, 6:07 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
I feel a loss of human symmetry, as where the room just plain feels shaped wrong. I like the texture use, but the lighting needs great work. It could also just be a horrible POV...

JediKirby

</font>

What the hell?

------------------
Belief can be defined as being more firmly grounded in experience than is attainable by the imagination.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2003-09-19, 8:54 AM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zuljin:
What the hell?
</font>

I second that comment directed at kirby.

The level looks nice. the stuff coming out of the walls looks weird though... not really needed

------------------
^^
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2003-09-19, 9:56 AM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
I feel a loss of human symmetry, as where the room...</font>

What are you on Mr. Kirby? And give it to me!

I agree, the ceiling texture just looks way out of place. I can't give you pointers on the technical aspect of this map since I know jack **** about level design. But it doesn't look that bad. Some better lighting too. But keep it up!

------------------
CWizard *pWizard=new CWizard("Gandalf","white",2021);
pWizard->EnableWizard(TRUE);
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2003-09-19, 11:05 AM #16
OK, I was short for words earlier, and obiously poor with them as well (I was being rushed to get off the computer at school) now I can do a propper assesment:

The JPG compression is pretty bad, so that might be part of it, but the lighting looks increadably misplaced, whereas there really aren't any light sources at all besides the hanging florescent light that doesn't really actually seem to be immiting light what so ever.

The random brushes sticking out of the wall are completely out of place, and don't really make it look decored at all, simply because the place looks too industrial to have any archi-detail like that.

I'm sensing a lack of symmetry from the catwalk, as there are support beams on the upper corner, but a catwalk couldn't support itself like that unless that side was up against a wall (Which I though it was, at first, but after a second look, I discovered it wasn't) but it isn't.

Overall, the entire thing is all too busy, but some people like that, I'm just someone that doesn't. Technically, this level is great, you did a wonderful job with the tools, but visually it lacks for me.

In any case, good job with the nice brush development.

JediKirby

------------------
"I was driving along listening to the radio, when Judas Priest comes on. It was 'You've got another thing coming.' All of a sudden, I enter 'VICE CITY RAMAGE MODE' and nearly ran some guy over"
- ]-[ellequin
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2003-09-20, 8:01 AM #17
You'd be much more coherent if you stopped trying to use elevated grammar and diction, because you're failing miserably.

------------------
Belief can be defined as being more firmly grounded in experience than is attainable by the imagination.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2003-09-20, 9:02 AM #18
[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thrawn42689:
GothicX is the best n00b ever.
</font>
2003-09-21, 11:38 AM #19
Ok im finally seeing the posts on my thread and yes gothicX this is the same level as the one in the EC. Its the underground part of the level. This is going to be a two level game. I will release the first level when i am almost done with the first one. Then i will release the next level.

------------------
2003-09-21, 11:42 AM #20
BTW sorry i screwed up on the picture. Compuserve hates all. Ill try some of the suggestions but whenever you change something someone always thinks its worse.

------------------
2003-09-21, 4:25 PM #21
Ive submitted a new screenshot. Its at the EC. If anyone would put the pic on this thread id be greatful because my ISP probably wont let me do it. I think this is the EC link

------------------
2003-09-21, 5:58 PM #22
[http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/12801.jpg]
Looks ok, but maybe you should darken it? It seems to have too much lightning in my opinion, and you should add sources fór the lights. Keep it up.
(edit: Oh, and you should do something for that part of the wall near the ceiling, you should align it correctly!)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Heke7 (edited September 21, 2003).]
There 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary arithmetics, and those who don't.
2003-09-21, 6:07 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zuljin:
You'd be much more coherent if you stopped trying to use elevated grammar and diction, because you're failing miserably.</font>

ZING!

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2003-09-21, 9:32 PM #24
Hmm,that little box in the last shot looks misplaced, as well as the floor texture. Also, try to experiment a bit more with shadows, they can make your level twice as good if used correctly.

------------------
Quote:
</font>
2003-09-22, 2:08 AM #25
Yes, the floor needs better texture... Also, just noticed that the corridor you se in the picture, has wall textures not aligned.

------------------
There 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary arithmetics, and those who don't.
2003-09-22, 3:06 AM #26
Why is Kyle so skinny looking in the last screen shot?

------------------
Kedri:
Remind me, how many celebrities have managed to resurface at some point after their untimely demise?

Master Tonberry:
Jesus?
"For the love of carnage and discord, I swear that on this night, you shall dine in hell!!"
2003-09-22, 3:17 AM #27
Crappy jpeg compression, Ganondorf.

------------------
Quote:
</font>
2003-09-22, 4:58 AM #28
Hmmph, looks like part of the picture was stretched to me.

And I like the first screenie, just the aforementioned texture. And in the second screenie, also those textures near the ceiling need alignment, as mentioned.

------------------
The Mega-ZZTer's Gaming Haven! - Under Construction
NEW! PHP implementation underway!

2003-09-22, 11:23 AM #29
Yah i didnt feel like doing a real great job fitting the screenshot.

------------------
2003-09-22, 1:15 PM #30
Here's one thing that bothers me about both screens... I can't stand the textures! Sorry to say, but it's true. :/

------------------
I started the second religion/cult to stem from Masssassi... Gebohqism! All hail Gebohq and his 1337 Dr. Pepper drinking Admin ways!
[Insert the wittiest, most cynical thing you will ever lay eyes on here.]
2003-09-22, 9:48 PM #31
Now I wonder, Xizor, did you already try to solve the problems mentioned in this thread? If so, please post a screenshot.

------------------
Quote:
</font>
2003-09-23, 2:47 PM #32
actually, i havent yet. Ive had about this >< much time. Ill get around to it eventually.

------------------
2003-09-25, 4:55 PM #33
Ill post another pic tom. just to keep the thread alive. Now Ive actually figured out how to post pics so its all good.

------------------
2003-09-27, 7:35 AM #34
Ok here it is. The outside of the level before you go into the underground part where my previous screenshots are seen.
[http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/12850.jpg]

I like the lighting here so dont try to make me change it cause it aint happening.

------------------
2003-09-27, 7:38 AM #35
Get GTK and q3map2 so you can compile and have the rocks cast nice shadows.

------------------
Quote:
</font>

[This message has been edited by gothicX (edited September 27, 2003).]
2003-09-27, 7:39 AM #36
And change it to JA so the overall quality is better.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|The Valley of the Jedi Tower|Smaug's Lair
2003-09-27, 1:13 PM #37
I dont have JA yet Cazor and I probably wont get it until next month.

------------------
2003-09-27, 3:53 PM #38
I gave a lot more space here to fight the boss reborns BTW.

------------------
I perfer him to become a jedi, look into the shaft of his saber and say "mesa jedi" and turn it on, impaling his head and making the theatre erupt in laughter
-Jar Jar Binks Death Description from Yecti.

↑ Up to the top!