Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → Possible way to do lightmaps in JK
Possible way to do lightmaps in JK
2003-10-07, 8:20 AM #41
It'd be as legal as the day is long. File formats aren't generally covered under copyrights, and really only when there's some kind of encryption. Straight to binary doesn't count as encryption - Gif texture compression does, not to mention that it's patented.

There's a myriad of freelanced engines using md3 models and quake3 bsps, which Carmack/id is fine with, as long as intellectual properties are not violated. I'm writing a little proggy that deals with Raven's Ghoul2, and they're perfectly fine with it - they encouraged it.

A format is just a means, not an end, and you can't really infringe upon a means ...

------------------
ye are of nothing, and your work of nought: an abomination is he that chooseth you
www.wudan07.com
2003-10-07, 11:51 AM #42
So then why the **** don't we band together and build a new JK engine from the ground up? Seriosly, we have a lot of programmers here, and it would benifit a TON of mappers/modders. Just eleminating JK's arbitrary limitations would be good. The JK engine can't be that complex.

------------------
Mystic0's Editing resources
Levels:
Temple of Flames

The Massassi Post Count Summary
"I am the signature virus! Copy me into your signature so that I can take over the world! Moohahahee!"
2003-10-07, 12:50 PM #43
You'd need someone to start such a project, wouldn't you say?

------------------
2003-10-07, 1:32 PM #44
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wudan:
I'm curious though, with all that work going in to making new maps for an old engine - why hasn't someone made a new engine that is compatible with your maps?

</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gothicX:
I believe that's being worked on by Jon`C...

</font>

------------------
Levels:
Temple of Flames

"I am the signature virus! Copy me into your signature so that I can take over the world! Moohahahee!"
2003-10-07, 2:40 PM #45
New engine? Massassi Revolution!

sort of..

------------------
"x=2?! Them fightin' words."
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2003-10-08, 2:33 AM #46
i can't help at all nor i believe this will ever happen, but, if so, please, concave sectors and multiple transparent stuff [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
My levels

www.i.hate.matyy.de

(+maeve|starcraft) 'round' breasts are rather rare
(+Matyy) i love boxes
(+Oberfeldwebel) Yes, we know Matyy, We've seen your levels
My levels
2003-10-08, 3:09 AM #47
I've already begun fiddling with the calculations neccessary in JK's adjacent-sector world. The visibility calculations are surprisingly easy - unfortunatly, doing them right makes many hardware-accelerated calculations redundant. I've actually been dumping level geometry to openGL in ortho mode, because it all needs to be transformed in software for the portal clipping and all that good stuff.

Concave sectors will not be possible. They destroy the math involved.

Multiple transparent stuff? Sure. Though you will find that all the current 'translucent gradient' effects are broken. You'll have to use actual translucent textures for that stuff.

It is also unreasonable to keep the MAT format. Though it should certainly be supported, I think you'll preffer to keep your textures in TGA or BMP format.

Currently, my renderer is not getting anywhere near JK's speed (But it still gets 100+ fps...) and it has some... problems. Not to mention that I'm testing with a crappy little two-sector box map and haven't actually written a .jkl loader yet.

------------------
Too many stupid people!

'[sarcastic sneering]
You're waiting for Obi-Wan? Isn't that sweet. Personally, I've decided to wait for the quantum-biological supercomputer. My current system won't support what I have in store for my TC.
[/sarcastic sneering]'
-Fardreamer
StavaDM-Contest 1-Crap Dome-Contest 4

In any situation where I appear to be false, I assure you I am correct. In such a case, it is, in fact, reality that is mistaken.
2003-10-08, 3:40 AM #48
That sounds cool Jon^C - I haven't ever played JK (please don't anybody shoot me) but I think that Massassi.net has enough folks who love JK to pull something like this off.

The lions share of the work would have to be done by coders, however.

------------------
ye are of nothing, and your work of nought: an abomination is he that chooseth you
www.wudan07.com
2003-10-08, 5:22 AM #49
Or we can just bug LEC for the source code. After all, it is 6 years old, close to 7.

------------------
2003-10-08, 5:48 AM #50
They'll never opensource it.

If the old JK team still worked for LEC, we'd have some advocates for us in the company. Without them we have basically nobody to turn to. JO/JA players can talk to Raven, not LEC.
Also, there's no telling what they use Sith for nowadays, or what Sith code is in.

------------------
2003-10-08, 11:18 AM #51
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NAS_Matyy:
...and multiple transparent stuff [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
</font>

But...multiple transparent stuff is possible...

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.
Math is infinitely finite, while the universe is finitely infinite. PI = QED
2003-10-08, 12:54 PM #52
As of right now, I don't think it's worth it to write a lightmap generator. It would take too long to program, and would be way too ineficient. The optimum thing to do would be to get clevelight to pre-light 3dos. I don't think it does this... does it?

------------------
Levels:
Temple of Flames

2003-10-08, 2:23 PM #53
Hmmm...the Massassi Engine.

I will admit it sounds intriguing. Emon constructed a rudimentary OpenGL engine not to long ago.

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2003-10-08, 6:16 PM #54
Really, the 2 changesthat would really make my day would be dynamic colored lighting and colored prelit 3dos.

------------------
Levels:
Temple of Flames

2003-10-08, 7:01 PM #55
You can fake that with sector tint.

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.
Math is infinitely finite, while the universe is finitely infinite. PI = QED
2003-10-08, 7:08 PM #56
Intriguing ideas... usually fan created stuff is better than officially released editors and such because they are made for the modders. Though it's certainly great to companies like Valve working on things just for gamers. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
[Insert the wittiest, most cynical thing you will ever lay eyes on here.]
[Insert the wittiest, most cynical thing you will ever lay eyes on here.]
2003-10-08, 7:19 PM #57
Sector tint wouldn't help anything. Ideally, an editor would create a level, use 3do terrain, use level/3do architectre, stick in a skybox, put in some colored lights, and run clevelight. It would then calculate 3dos and level geo as a whole, and prelight the 3dos acordingly. However, this won't work right now because:

1. No colored lights on a prelit 3do
2. Clevelight dosn't calculate 3dos (I think?)

Number 2 can be solved by rewriting clevelight, but 1 can only be solved by editing the source code.

However, if we can live without the source code and colored lighting, we could still re-write clevelight to interact with 3do's and create some spectaculer terrain shadows.

------------------
Levels:
Temple of Flames

↑ Up to the top!