Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → Testing out this JA stuff with a duel map. Need opinions on a couple things.
Testing out this JA stuff with a duel map. Need opinions on a couple things.
2003-10-09, 9:40 AM #1
First, the screenies:

[http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/12992.jpg]
[http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/12993.jpg]
[http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/12994.jpg]

Ok, and now for the opinions. I am debating on whether a) to keep the lights or not where the corner of the map is (the second shot is the best compare/contrast, with the left illuminated, and the right not), and if I keep the illumination, to whether I should brighten or dim it.

Also, should I put a ship in the middle area, or keep it open for the duel fights?

There will be boxes up in the corners, and there will also be 4 elevators to reach the second level for fighting. I was thinking of calling this "Vjun Outpost", although I am open for suggestions for everything, including the name. Keep in mind this isn't finished yet - Models and boxes need to be added.

Anyway, thoughts welcome.

------------------
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 3-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
2003-10-09, 10:32 AM #2
It's awesome. Keep the lights, leave the middle open. My only suggestion would be to make the top more interesting. Right now it just kind of get cut off.

------------------
New Half-Life 2 Screenshots! (Updated Daily)
2003-10-09, 10:54 AM #3
lookin good

------------------
I perfer him to become a jedi, look into the shaft of his saber and say "mesa jedi" and turn it on, impaling his head and making the theatre erupt in laughter
-Jar Jar Binks Death Description from Yecti.
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2003-10-09, 2:42 PM #4
Anyone else have any thoughts?

------------------
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 3-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
2003-10-09, 2:49 PM #5
Leave it open for the duel fights. Granted it seems a little large for a duel but I think a ship or something would be cumbersome. Unless you find a good object to place there.

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2003-10-09, 3:02 PM #6
And what about the lighting. I'd like more opinions on it.

------------------
2003-10-09, 4:40 PM #7
This looks real nice [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
"The quality of the levels you make is determined by the skill of the person not by the editor in which they use!"
-Michael Kyle

The Arcane Sith
2003-10-09, 6:24 PM #8
I love it. The lighting is perfect, and lends to a "Vegas" atmosphere, where you have everything to gain and only your life to lose.

------------------
I am Vinny.
2003-10-10, 2:54 AM #9
It's a nice start, but it'd be better if there is more brush architecture - JA can handle quite a lot mroe than JO. Don't be afraid to experiment with them.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thrawn42689:
GothicX is the best n00b ever.
</font>

[This message has been edited by gothicX (edited October 10, 2003).]
2003-10-10, 4:03 AM #10
One would think, but right now for another map, I got a box that has lower FPS than this map. This one had the same FPS issue, but removing and eliminating some brushes fixed the issue. See the Editing forum for more details - I'd be grateful for any advice as to why my FPS is in the crapper and what is causing it.

------------------
2003-10-10, 4:27 AM #11
Set the cvar r_dynamicglow to 0. Problem solved.

------------------
The Mega-ZZTer's Gaming Haven! - Under Construction
NEW! PHP implementation underway!

[This message has been edited by Gebohq (edited December 28, 2003).]

2003-10-10, 4:36 AM #12
Where and how do I do that?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joren DarkStar (edited October 10, 2003).]
2003-10-10, 4:43 AM #13
Nevermind. I just grabbed release candidate 3 for the GTK this morning, recompiled, and it worked fine. Must have been an issue with the RC 2 of the JA GTKRadiant.

------------------
2003-10-10, 8:43 AM #14
Good to see you're still at it - your style is a little more 'up front and flashy' than most folks, but you do it in such a chic way [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
ye are of nothing, and your work of nought: an abomination is he that chooseth you
www.wudan07.com
2003-10-10, 9:13 AM #15
What can I say? I am addicted to shaders... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2003-10-10, 10:17 AM #16
"All, I would like you to welcome our newest member, Joren, to Shader's Anonymous"

*all* "Hi Joren!"

But I do like the lighting you have set up.

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2003-10-10, 3:37 PM #17
I meant in the JA console... when turned off, my framerate went up 4x. SP and MP.

------------------
The Mega-ZZTer's Gaming Haven! - Under Construction
NEW! PHP implementation underway!

[This message has been edited by Gebohq (edited December 28, 2003).]

↑ Up to the top!