Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → JA WIP First map.
JA WIP First map.
2003-11-13, 3:24 PM #1
[http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/13631.jpg]

This is an area of an FFA map I'm working on. Still learning so it may be a ways off. Any suggestions on how to spruce it up? Any constructive criticisms appreciated.

I was wondering if I should also release this section as a duel map. What kind of things do you guys like to see in a duel map?
2003-11-13, 3:56 PM #2
pretty damn decent for a first map. You're one of those excellent folks who comes along, and instead of just saying 'hmm i'll post screenshots of this box', decides to learn how to use shaders, (phong shading/waterfall) and learn vertex editing and good lighting and all the other things too many people discard at first.

congratulations It looks very nice. I recommend a raise on the edges of the bridge.... sorta like supports....but they don't support it. like this:

Code:
           |         |
           /\________/\

which doesn't illustrate it adequately at all.

------------------
saberopus
oh yeh wlel i jsut gots finesht wiht my morrwoind mod for teh JO An it takes up teh 900 gigabiets of spaec but i wlil not sowh yuo gyz teh scrnshoots becasue we dunat kare wut u gyz tihnk ne1 no wear i kan get ti hostad 4 dounlowd!!!!11!111 --Checksum
2003-11-13, 4:34 PM #3
That pic turns me on.

------------------
What is a sig you may ask. A sig is only a small factor in the flow of life. It is just a minor detail of the universe we live in. To understand the true purpose of this sig, you must understand how life influences it. To do that you must understand how the functions of life work in the world. There you shall know how time plays a role. Time and life are...you sir! Is that a monkey?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2003-11-13, 6:42 PM #4
Everything looks good.. Just 2 things.. The fog mist from the waterfall.. Usuaully is at the bottom.. Onlly at the tope it the end has a same embankment going like this.. ``U``

`` is the water floor.. U is the tunnel where water swirls and makes the mist.. Common at the bottom of the falls.. Just to help ya [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif].. and amibent lighing on the man made structure.. if its a rockface, my apologies.. and lastly, just a suggestion, where is the moon? Need a moon!

------------------
-- [url="mailto:Jatso_jk@hotmail.com"]mailto:Jatso_jk@hotmail.com[/url]Jatso_jk@hotmail.com</A>--The Bounty Hunters Arc Forum--Firehound Inc.--
-- Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com--The Bounty Hunters Arc Forum--Firehound Inc.--
2003-11-13, 6:43 PM #5
Looks good. I especially like the terrain and water fall. But there's something wrong with the bridge. DOn't know what, but it just looks wrong to my eyes... Great work!
There 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary arithmetics, and those who don't.
2003-11-13, 8:41 PM #6
Thanks for the comments.

saberopus, Im afraid you've over-estimated me. I have absolutely no idea what phong shading is :P Though if someone explains it to me here, I'd much appreciate it.

Silent, Im having trouble figuring out just what you're saying. There's already mist at the bottom of the waterfall. I'm not sure what you're talking about with the U. What about ambient lighting and the man-made structure? That is the facade of a structure built into the rock. Do you think I should add more ambient lighting? Or lessen it?
2003-11-13, 11:48 PM #7
One thing I can see is the water doesn't look like it's falling at all. Change the texture on the waterfall to something different, more white and stretched.

------------------
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

-Tazz
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2003-11-14, 9:21 AM #8
Basically, he's saying: "Lose the mist at the top of the waterfall"

Looks really good so far, although there is a lot more water coming down the waterfall that coming out from under the bridge.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2003-11-14, 10:23 AM #9
Looks good, but could you have maybe a few rocks jutting out of the waterfall to break up the odd look it has. The way it looks right now, it doesn't really look like its. falling.
2003-11-14, 12:14 PM #10
[http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/13653.jpg]

Here's a better view of that waterfall since that first view wasn't clear as to what it looked like. The only change between this pic and the first is that I've changed the building facade. Let me know what you think of that.

The waterfall looks much better in game than you see here. It does look like its moving. That water is also transparent, though you cant tell in this pic. As for rocks, I've already considered adding them and may still do that.

Removing the mist from the top makes it look bland and even more fake imo. Any suggestions what to do there?
2003-11-14, 12:21 PM #11
U gave your theread the name i should have given my screens of a first map! (though in my defence, my box had more than 6 sides [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif])

On a more serious note, it looks good, but as someone already stated, loose the fog on top of the water, and as my own contribution, make the water at the bottom a single bar with those little puffs of mist to accent it.

------------------
Americans call it "Tuna Fish". Canadians call it "Tuna". We just assume that it's a fish.
Americans call it "Tuna Fish". Canadians call it "Tuna". We just assume that it's a fish.
2003-11-14, 1:05 PM #12
SoldierZero, what do you mean make the water a single bar? The falling water is one brush and the water at the bottom of the fall is a single brush.
2003-11-14, 1:47 PM #13
That waterfall looks a bit too square at the top... it should curvy downward.

------------------
The Mega-ZZTer's Gaming Haven!

[This message has been edited by Gebohq (edited December 28, 2003).]

2003-11-14, 6:15 PM #14
Alrighty.. You know anything about dams? Water goings thru tunnels to the bottom.. The top, has no mist.. Just alot of splashing water.. With a cliff, Before the water falls.. There is a tiny ditch and after the underwater ditch there is a bump.. it doesnt go towards the end, along side.. thats what I ment.. By the whole mist thing.. Mist comes from above, Just how ya have the mist up top doesnt look right..

And some light structures on the area would be good.. Use a simple thing of a light model from JA itself or make your own easy one.. And ya need a moon.. Being night time.. Seeing no moon would make me worried.. lol

------------------
-- [url="mailto:Jatso_jk@hotmail.com"]mailto:Jatso_jk@hotmail.com[/url]Jatso_jk@hotmail.com</A>--The Bounty Hunters Arc Forum--Firehound Inc.--
2003-11-14, 6:16 PM #15
Alrighty, kill the mist at the top.. and you got a good damn map!

------------------
2003-11-14, 6:35 PM #16
Hmm.. now that I see a better view.. it looks as if your terrain is vertex lit.. not lightmapped.. that may be the source of the problems you were having with the lighting. Or at least some of them.

------------------
I'll admit to Reactor CTF, Duel Abyss, and even the CCCP, but not Sky High! (my first, be kind!) Ok so maybe I will.
http://www.jedilegacy.net/gonk/
2003-11-14, 11:06 PM #17
^^

And add some streetlightish stuffness.

------------------
Endurance of Hatred
2003-11-17, 1:45 AM #18
[http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/13690.jpg]

This is a pic from my latest compile. It's a view of what's opposite the waterfall from the first pic.

I've made the falling water into a patch and added the rocks to break it up a bit. By popular demand, I removed the mist at the top. I've added some lamps and lights. Terrain is now lightmapped.

gothicx: Gee, I thought you were going to suggest I add a bunch of wild curving pipes :P

This map should be ready for a beta release soon. I've currently got duel and power duel incorporated. As soon as I can get the bots to stop being stupid, I'll release a beta.
2003-11-17, 1:52 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Talion:
gothicx: Gee, I thought you were going to suggest I add a bunch of wild curving pipes :P </font>

Well now you mention it...

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged
2003-11-17, 4:04 AM #20
that bears striking resemblance to a tribes map. are you considering making it a ctf?

------------------
Current Maps

Look up my nose and see your future.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2003-11-17, 6:12 AM #21
Blood Asp: No, I don't have any plans to make a ctf. My only intention with this map is to release this section as a duel map, then complete it and release with ffa support as well.

I don't play Tribes, so any similarity is purely coincidental. This map was inspired by JA maps (t3_bounty mostly) and some of my old maps for quake1. Does this remind you of a specific Tribes map? Or a Tribes style of map?
2003-11-18, 8:49 AM #22
Reminds me very much of Halo. That is a good thing! Keep the good work coming!

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2003-11-19, 3:50 AM #23
OK, everyone here's a beta version for your critiquing pleasure. First one, so please, be gentle.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Capsule/8143/duel_falls_beta.zip

If you get a "Page Not Available" error, copy and paste the link into your browser.

Post your bugs and comments here or email to me.

[This message has been edited by Talion (edited November 19, 2003).]
2003-11-19, 5:01 AM #24
I'll check it out when I get home but it looks cool never the less.

------------------
Eat... sleep for tommarow we shall die.
&lt;Genki&gt; maev's seen us... the post your pic threads!
&lt;[MRB]Rooked&gt; &lt;Genki&gt; maev's seen us... the post your pic threads! &lt;- I've seen you too I abruptly closed the window and binged after that :)

&lt;Ishionu&gt; [MRB]Rooked quoted himself in his signature...thats sad...

↑ Up to the top!