Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → "Scotty, we need more power to the warp engines!"
"Scotty, we need more power to the warp engines!"
2004-04-08, 8:15 AM #1
The engineering control room of the Yorktown, highly inspired by the same room on the Enterprise. Enjoy.

[http://server6.uploadit.org/files/punkindrublic-TOSengineering1.jpg]
[http://server6.uploadit.org/files/punkindrublic-TOSengineering2.jpg]
[http://server6.uploadit.org/files/punkindrublic-TOSengineering3.jpg]

[This message has been edited by bombshellrapture (edited April 08, 2004).]
Donny Versiga
E-mail: punkindrublic5@aol.com
Wasting away my life building levels and playing guitar
2004-04-08, 9:26 AM #2
Insanely good, as usual. :]

------------------
Rites of Xanthus

The TC that exacted a terrible toll on my time and eyesight.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2004-04-08, 9:46 AM #3
Ooh!

------------------
Check out updates for my editing work at the Shadow Jedi Academy.
2004-04-08, 10:11 AM #4
I'd think you were Scotty from those pictures. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] Wow, as usual great work.
Free your mind, use Open Source.
2004-04-08, 10:30 AM #5
O...M...G...! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]

------------------
Bond, Power, CA, The Force, Saber, IC, Epic, Oily Mexican Food, BG, /\ |> /\ /\/\, Sentences.
Now you know where I've been.
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-04-08, 11:59 AM #6
Nice!

------------------

"Run Away!"
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-04-08, 3:28 PM #7
Looks super good...

but i got some nitpicks, you may not care and i really don't but FYI i'm pretty sure that big bulky unit on the right wall is removed in the re-fit vessels and replaced with a smaller plasma injecter things in the center of engineering, so on a vessel from TOS they would either have one or the other, the large wall mounted one, or the small one in the center of the room.

either way, pure star trek goodness

------------------
Inter arma silent leges
The Gas Station
2004-04-08, 3:48 PM #8
This is the third time I've checked and the images aren't working for me. Anyone else have this problem? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
"Life is like a vending machine, sometimes you don't get nothing."
Lyrics are highly overrated.
2004-04-08, 4:05 PM #9
<3

When can I have one? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-04-08, 6:24 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">but i got some nitpicks, you may not care and i really don't but FYI i'm pretty sure that big bulky unit on the right wall is removed in the re-fit vessels and replaced with a smaller plasma injecter things in the center of engineering, so on a vessel from TOS they would either have one or the other,</font>

I'm pretty sure they existed on the TOS Enterprise. Also keep in mind that in earlier episodes, the dilithium chamber assembly (the cylinders in the middle of the room) didn't exist. They were later additions (strangely enough, a lot like how the dilithium reactor room in Star Trek II didn't exist in The Motion Picture).

-Fox

[This message has been edited by Firefox (edited April 08, 2004).]
2004-04-08, 9:55 PM #11
Grant: Actually I can put whatever I want in there, since it's not the Enterprise, but the Yorktown.

But you are incorrect. In season one, the two bulky structures were there. In season two, they were removed and replaced with the smaller unit in the room. In season three, both the bulky structures and the smaller center structures were there. If you watch The Tholian Web (season 3), you can see all three structures present. The only difference is that the larger structures were rotated 90 degrees. Believe me, I've done my research. Plus, they add so much more eye candy than would an empty area.

I've read in a certain magazine that said that the two structures were removed, but keep in mind that magazines aren't officially canon. Only what we see on screen can be considered correct.

------------------
Donny Versiga
Donny Versiga
2004-04-09, 5:19 AM #12
I . . . I love you. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-04-09, 6:32 AM #13
The first shot just doesn't look like JK. Some of the lighting effects HAVE to be texture-lighting, because they're completelly unlike JK. I also had to convince myself that a surface with so many holes in it would cause too much lag, so that's actually a texture (The one with the holes in it) but it looks almost 3D. I wouldn't be all that suprised were it actually archi.

I also see you took my advice about the door-shading.

By the way, you trekies scare me. When a magazine talks about the placement of set-props, you know it's gone too far.

JediKirby

------------------
"I was driving along listening to the radio, when Judas Priest comes on. It was 'You've got another thing coming.' All of a sudden, I enter 'VICE CITY RAMAGE MODE' and nearly ran some guy over"
- ]-[ellequin
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-04-09, 9:27 AM #14
indeed, psp lighting methods, can't go wrong [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

I loves it.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-04-09, 9:54 AM #15
Awful. Just awful.

Acctually, anything but

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-04-09, 11:28 AM #16
JediKirby: the hexagonal grating featured in the shots is a texture, and it get's its 3D look from the actual texture itself.

Paintshop Pro indeed...for all my textures. I do implement texture-lighting into them because 1) It yields predictable results, over vertice lighting 2) It's easy as hell to do, and 3) It gives what would be a boring grey-walled texture (and those are used A LOT throughout this project) some gradations, therefore making it more exciting. And texture-lighting is a MUST for 3DOs in JK/MOTS, since their surfaces are not affected by normal vertice lighting.

------------------
Donny Versiga
Donny Versiga
2004-04-09, 12:29 PM #17
Oh so very nice. You are truly the Bomb.

BTW, I've been keeping up with this project of yours since last millenium... I was just wondering if it would be released before Doom 3?

jEDIkIRBY, I like the method of using textures with transparent areas. It's a very lag-free way to make a simple surface look like so much more. Have you seen how I used 'em in my level? Bombshell's do look more Archi-ish IMO.

------------------
"halucid is not really intelligent but is simply a better simulator of human conversation." Googlism

...how easy life would be... if only it came with a consistancy checker.
Fabricator of Neurotic for MLP4
We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams...
Neurotic||Mobius Grith||The Atrium
2004-04-09, 8:16 PM #18
I second his question. I want to play this thing and I'm in no way at all a trekie.

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-04-09, 8:37 PM #19
Excellent work.

Perhaps I'm being a little off topic, but I can't help but wonder how you handle lighting on the models (such as the walkplayer and powerups) without standard vertex lighting. Is there an option for light to affect the models without affecting the sectors? Anyway, just wondering. Once again, awesome work!

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-04-09, 9:12 PM #20
Freelancer: I never said I didn't use vertex lighting. I use it in every area I create. I simply meant that vertice lighting only affects 3DOs by giving it one complete shade (kind of like setting a sector to a certain extra-light value). Vertice lighting doesn't give 3dos form, so I make the textures of the 3dos so that they have form.

Get it?

Let's say I texture a 3DO with one flat, grey texture of the same value. When I load it into the level, and calculate the lighting, then play the level, the 3DO will appear that one flat value determined by how much bright the room is lit by the vertice lighting calculations (unless you have a dynamic light present, but those are buggy and don't help framerate at all). By adding value gradations to the textures themselves (in paint shop pro), I can give the illusion that the 3DO has form, shading, etc.
If i were using a newer engine that uses nothing but dynamic lights (which takes far longer to calculate; i.e. QIII engine), i wouldn't really have to do this.
------------------
Donny Versiga

[This message has been edited by bombshellrapture (edited April 10, 2004).]
Donny Versiga
2004-04-10, 5:34 AM #21
BSR, I figured out over a year ago how to stabalize dynamic lighting... Email me if you want to know how.

------------------
I used to believe that we must fight the future, lest change come without our consent. I was wrong. The truth is that we must embrace the future, for only with change can we remain the same.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.

↑ Up to the top!