Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → There is no bathing...
There is no bathing...
2004-08-15, 4:09 PM #1
The Matrix: Lobby Shootout

[http://www.zentatsu.com/Matrix/thumbdetector.JPG]
[http://www.zentatsu.com/Matrix/thumbwide.JPG]
[http://www.zentatsu.com/Matrix/thumblong.JPG]
[http://www.zentatsu.com/Matrix/thumblong2.JPG]
[http://www.zentatsu.com/Matrix/thumbelivators.JPG]
[http://www.zentatsu.com/Matrix/thumbwindows.JPG]

(Optimized for 56K. Click on smaller images to view larger images.)

Do you know how I made it? It's simple, really. You only realize that there is no bath, and thus you do not bathe. This allowed me to work for an entire week, uninterrupted.

Thanks to Thrawn and Cazor of TMU for sending me the majority of the textures. They come from a Max-Payne map and Cazor's version of the level as well.
Other textures are from the lab texture pack. The window texture in the last shot, I'm proud to say, is my first texture.

The entire level is to exact scale (Or at least, as humanly close as I could get it). Even the seems on the pillars are set to the exact height as they are seen in comparison to the actors.

The level is complete except for a flicker, and collide issue with the 3DO (Which I'll be fixing eventually) plus a few texture additions to the detector (Such as the indicator above Neo when he walks through, as well as a green tinted texture for the Baggage Tester). Another addition will be a pre-deathmatch white room where I hope to have oodles of JK guns come flying in on carts from all directions. Once you've made your weapon selections, you activate the weapon holders, and you're teleported to the room. Each time you die after, you'll start back in the white room with the weapons already in place.

There will be multiple versions of this level, such as a version where invisible slants are cut into the wall, allowing WoW mods (Specifically SSR-Pro 4000, which this level was initially created for) to simulate 90-degree wall-walking. As well, Descent Pilot's cooked up a little cog for me to allow the tiles to shatter as they're being shot. Ace1 offered to even spice it up a bit more and make it all chunky and funstuff like that.

My question for you all, is if I should make a slight reflection (slight being more of a shine)?

Now I just have to convert these yellow and black mats Thrawn gave me for my next level...*whistles*

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? More Fanta?

JediKirby

[edit]Freaking /matrix/[/edit]
[edit]Freaking capital M in /matrix/[/edit]
[edit]Freaking all capital .JPG[/edit]

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.

[This message has been edited by jEDIkIRBY (edited August 15, 2004).]
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-15, 4:19 PM #2
mmm..pretty

------------------
All is fair in love and war.
All is fair in love and war.
2004-08-15, 4:22 PM #3
That honestly looks horrible.

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-08-15, 4:22 PM #4
There is no DFTL...

Sexy

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-15, 4:23 PM #5
Care to tell me what looks horrible, specifically, and why? So that, you know, I can fix it?

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-15, 4:24 PM #6
The textures are painfully grainy, architecture is incredibly simple, and lighting is nearly nonexistant.

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-08-15, 4:24 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
That honestly looks horrible.

</font>

You need lighting. Badly.

------------------
Current Maps | Inclusion | Restless Endeavor

There is a thin line between insanity and stupidity. I am that line.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2004-08-15, 4:26 PM #8
I didn't make the textures, so I can't really be heald responsable for that. There's no real lighting that CAN be done on this level, it's very bright in the movie. No shadows in the movie. Lastly, there isn't much archi TO the level.

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-15, 4:30 PM #9
There's too much noise on the wall textures, and I can't distinguish the ceiling from the walls on the left and right behind the pillars.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2004-08-15, 4:34 PM #10
Well, would any of you fancy smanshy photo-editor types care to smooth out the textures for me?

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-15, 4:35 PM #11
It looks like noise because JK's mip mapping is trash when your using high(er) res textures.

And how did you get the window texture? CHEATER!

------------------
I am _ Ace_1 _ , and I approve this message.
I am _ Ace_1 _ , and I approve this message.
2004-08-15, 4:42 PM #12
I'm now in the process of relighting it to have shadows, dispite there being absolutelly no shadows in the movie.

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-15, 4:49 PM #13
It's not that there are no shadows JK, it's that there needs to be some differentiation in the lighting. It needs to be smooth and warm. And I think the walls are slightly too brown. The architecture is good enough, but there has to be lighting. All maps have lighting. It is neccesary!

------------------
I figure that one day I'll either be famous, or in prison. But I guess if I'm going to prison, I should probably try to do something that would make me famous anyway.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-15, 5:11 PM #14
Get some new textures dude, seriously. It's your choice whether to use ****ty textures, or to make/find ones that work better in JK. And even if there are no shadows in the movie, at least put lights in there and have light areas, and less-light areas, it'll look 1000 times better, and it'll look like you at least gave an effort for the lighting.

It's a good start though, and since you've got it all mapped out already it should be easy to see what goes where. But for God's sake, there is no excuse for you to leave this thing in fullbright.

------------------
The Devious Server
2004-08-15, 5:33 PM #15
it's not in fullbright, brainiac.

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-15, 7:18 PM #16
You need either:
• Mip maps and better lighting
or
• Better mip maps and better lighting

Edit: By the way, thanks a lot for the 56K optimization.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.dreamtheater.net/disco_dreamtheater.php?s=sfam" TARGET=_blank> "Our deeds have traveled far,
What we have been is what we are."</A>

[This message has been edited by Acharjay (edited August 15, 2004).]
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2004-08-15, 7:21 PM #17
You also need less puke green.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-15, 7:21 PM #18
good start, but theres too much noise in the textures.

Also, they don't have that greenish tint like everything seems to have in the matrix.

oh, and take a shower. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited August 15, 2004).]
2004-08-15, 9:21 PM #19
Hey jediKirby, asking for constructive advice and then making up an excuse why each thing can't be improved is not going to produce good results. The fact is, it's ugly, it needs new textures, regardless of whether or not you created them.

------------------
"If there's one thing I've learned it's this - you just can't shake hands with a fist" - David Allen Coe
2004-08-15, 9:39 PM #20
But the fact is, there's not much else I can do, so I guess I'll just put the level on the shelf of no return.

I completelly understand all of your suggestions and complaints, but there's not much I can do about it. There ARE mips, there IS lighting, and those are the only textures I can get ahold of. I've relit it, and it looks fine when relit, just not very much like the original.

Oh, and yes, I'm giving you excuses. Excuses why it's not going to get better. At least I can accept the constructive criticism instead of post "You're being overly harsh, what are you thinking? My level is perfect." no. I won't do what everyone else does on their threads. Just because YOU think a level is perfect, doesn't mean it is. I just know I don't have enough patients to fix it. ^_^

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-16, 7:18 AM #21
All you'd need to do is recolor the textures in any paint program. And no, there is no way there are mip maps. If there are, you did them wrong. Yeah, I don't know how you mess up mip maps, but somehow you did apparently.

------------------
2004-08-16, 11:00 AM #22
The first thing that I noticed was that the metal detectors are ugly. .'/

And yes, it needs lighting...

Fix mipmaps. Fix them now.

------------------
The Mega-ZZTer's Gaming Haven! | Mega-ZForums

Bot Pack JO | Let's Roll JK | Bespin JA | Patch Enforcer JK/MotS | Pac-Man JK

2004-08-16, 11:40 AM #23
Noise, and the textures are overly...brown. iirc, in the movie it's black and glossy, or at least grey.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!