Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → Syndicate:Initiation is out
Syndicate:Initiation is out
2004-08-17, 3:23 PM #1
Syndicate:Initiation, a small JA SP level is now released for your evaluation. You can get it conveniently right here from Massassi:

http://www.massassi.net/levels/files/2999.shtml

It's a puzzle intensive level with little fighting, so don't expect blood baths... Check the Readme file for installation instructions. File size is about 25 MB.

------------------
Frozen by ICARUS
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2004-08-17, 3:30 PM #2
Looks really good... it's about time a level around here focused on puzzles.

------------------
Space Colony Inc. Phoenix Suburban City Dereliction
Camp Marshall
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2004-08-17, 4:56 PM #3
I've been looking foreward to this, and now that I've got JA, I can try out the level.

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-17, 5:10 PM #4
Oooooooh, Afternoon Delight.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-17, 6:42 PM #5
Curses! Now I'll have to get working on my level to balance the violence level in the community. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif]

Great job, I look forward to playing it.

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-17, 10:14 PM #6
Thanks!

If needed, there's a walk-through at my Home site. It has been written so that it let you to decide how much to spoil your fun, for it doesn't tell directly how to solve the puzzles, but gives advice to each of them, and the hints have been numbered, from general to more specific.

------------------
Frozen by ICARUS
2004-08-18, 6:47 AM #7
I'll get back when I've finished.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (I don't know why I have this still in my sig)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-18, 9:26 AM #8
A very SP nice level. And the puzzles are entertaining.

The architecture of the level is good. It adds to the tomb-like feeling and all of it isn't boxy. There are details, like broken bricks and cyrstal designs, here and there. It fits well with the puzzles and atmosphere and doesn't become distracting. And the textures shaders are used well and seem all aligned properly and appropriately placed. The light entities aren't randomly placed but instead many come from light sources (like from tourches) and still allow the dark atmosphere to exist, which is a good thing. The only concern is how small most of the rooms are. Sometimes, the player may feel "closed" in.

The scripted events and gameplay are the best part of this level. Instead of the usual (and somewhat overplayed) shooting and sabering of many SP levels, this level focuses on puzzles and using the brain. Personally, this nature for the level makes it somewhat unique. The scripting behind the puzzles is awesome and adds depth, and the puzzles themselves are fun. Not too hard and not too easy I thought (except, the jumping one which was a bit annoying due to the small ledges). There are cutscenes too which are performed nicely by the scripting. Custom voices and small plot line add to them. And, personally, the special effects are neat too (some of which haven't been seen in our levels).

The level lasted around 30-40 minutes for me. It depends on person I guess due to the puzzles. The area is somewhat small, but deep in content.

So I suggest anyone who like SP and has a brain and patience, try this out.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (I don't know why I have this still in my sig)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-18, 10:39 AM #9
Thanks, Echoman! That was thorough indeed. I can agree with everything you said. Of course I can't praise my own level, but I can say there was some intricate scripting behind many of the puzzles (and also in the cinematics).

------------------
Frozen by ICARUS

↑ Up to the top!