Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → Giving a Crit
Giving a Crit
2006-01-21, 4:01 PM #1
(taken from deviantart.)
I thought you guys would benefit from reading this. Its not everything you have to or should do, but its a good guideline of what a real crit is.

[http://www.patcartelli.com/misc/giveacrit_full_1.jpg]

Remember. Critiques are GOOD for you
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-01-21, 4:04 PM #2
I don't give a crit.

(I just had to post that after reading the title. :p)
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-01-21, 4:10 PM #3
we could all learn from that, especially the non-constructive WOWing in most threads.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-01-22, 4:37 AM #4
Where can I get "The artist's revenge"?? :confused:
2006-01-22, 8:30 AM #5
That isn't all that amazing of a suggestion. I've seen far better "how to crit" tutorials.

But I, as all of you know, agree with the anti "OMG WOW!" thing.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-01-22, 9:10 AM #6
Actually... it is pretty useful. Especially since most people who post in here dont understand what critiques are.
2006-01-23, 8:20 AM #7
Your art sucks.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-01-23, 9:54 AM #8
Numbers 1 through 6 are stupid. Number 7 is decent advice.

And there's nothing wrong with 'wow' comments. Jesus...
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-01-23, 9:56 AM #9
So if I'm amazed at something, I can't say wow? How communist.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-01-23, 10:22 AM #10
That's where the devART roots show; some artists there get drowned in 'wow'/'awesome'/'sexy' -comments, without any useful feedback.
2006-01-23, 10:31 AM #11
I'd say that happens on this forum quite often as well.
And that's not counting freelancers recent wow-spree.
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

http://veddertheshredder.com
2006-01-23, 10:40 AM #12
So whats wrong with people saying wow if they like your stuff. If someone says wow, its because its nice and they like it. Not everyone likes to play mister stick-in-the-*** critique who'll nitpick your work, lord knows there are enough of that here already. lol :p
2006-01-23, 12:02 PM #13
Sure wow-ing can ego-boost the first poster, but on the long run it won't help with improving his skills.

Wow, isn't exactly usefull feedback. Unless you think there's absolutely nothing at all the poster could improve and everything is of the same superb quality.
One can easily expand on his/hers wow-ing by saying what he/she likes and why. Or what he'd love to see added or removed.

I'm pretty sure I've wow-ed as well in various occasions. And all in all I don't mind it all that much actually, now I think of it :)

What's worse is the continuously repeated 'jokes' about "manbabies" "dflt.mat" "is that jk", which make my immaturity meter go red-hot. (And even that I can live with)
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

2006-01-23, 12:06 PM #14
Originally posted by ZOOIkes:
What's worse is the continuously repeated 'jokes' about "manbabies" "dflt.mat" "is that jk", which make my immaturity meter go red-hot. (And even that I can live with)

I agree with you on that one.

When I talk about "wow" I include saying "Thats great" or "I love it" or what not. You know the typical praising. I don't mean just "W0W!!!11one".
2006-01-23, 12:48 PM #15
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Numbers 1 through 6 are stupid. Number 7 is decent advice.

And there's nothing wrong with 'wow' comments. Jesus...

Uhm... How are they stupid? Those are really helpful ways to help someone IMPROVE what they are doing.

And yes there is something wrong with 'wow' comments, especially when you post that in NUMEROUS threads because this "pissed you off." Seriously, find something better to do. It doesnt help the artist at all. Sure just saying "wow" doesnt hurt, but when you are being annoying its rather rude.
2006-01-23, 12:59 PM #16
Originally posted by MBeggar:
It doesnt help the artist at all. Sure just saying "wow" doesnt hurt, but when you are being annoying its rather rude.

You know, I've showcased stuff before more to show off what I was working on (or when I edited JK, to "advertise" my mod), not to be told by every second person on this forum (whom most don't even know what they are speaking of) how to make it better. Especially sketches where people tell you, oh his legs should be longer. I've realised how often the person posting the comment is wrong or just saying that to actually have something to say.

Just look at the name of this forum, "Showcase." That means displaying something. Showing it off. Not a "critique" forum, or a "Hey-how-can-I-improve-this" forum.

The above rule only encourages people to post worthless critique comments rather than just saying they like the thing. How many bloody times can someone say, "The legs are too short."

(And I think Freelancer thought the first rules were stupid because A) They are common sense or B) ARE idiotic or encourage idiotic things.)
2006-01-23, 1:12 PM #17
Originally posted by Jepman:
How many bloody times can someone say, "The legs are too short."

Some massassian would probably still say that when being shown a photograph :)
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

2006-01-23, 1:21 PM #18
Originally posted by ZOOIkes:
Some massassian would probably still say that when being shown a photograph :)

Right on.
2006-01-23, 1:24 PM #19
shuddup Jep, your legs ARE too short

:em321:
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2006-01-23, 1:31 PM #20
*frowns down at his legs* :confused:
2006-01-23, 3:03 PM #21
Originally posted by Jepman:
You know, I've showcased stuff before more to show off what I was working on (or when I edited JK, to "advertise" my mod), not to be told by every second person on this forum (whom most don't even know what they are speaking of) how to make it better. Especially sketches where people tell you, oh his legs should be longer. I've realised how often the person posting the comment is wrong or just saying that to actually have something to say.

Just look at the name of this forum, "Showcase." That means displaying something. Showing it off. Not a "critique" forum, or a "Hey-how-can-I-improve-this" forum.

The above rule only encourages people to post worthless critique comments rather than just saying they like the thing. How many bloody times can someone say, "The legs are too short."

(And I think Freelancer thought the first rules were stupid because A) They are common sense or B) ARE idiotic or encourage idiotic things.)

Are you not paying attention to what Im saying at all??

Freaking read the image! The FIRST THING says "Ask if the Artist wants a Critique"! If they DO then the following steps apply!

And where did I say this was a rule? This was put here as ADVICE. The things in the image above arent common sense to some people, so I put this here to help them get an idea of what should be in a crit. And "B" Why on earth would they encourage "idiotic things"?
2006-01-23, 3:35 PM #22
By all means say "WOW" if you want, or even something more lame like "ZOMG U RULE I WANT YOUR BABIES"....

But say something constructive as well!

examples you ask?

I particulary like...

I dont like....

Whats it for...

How does that work....

I think we can all agree on that.

otherwise, I shall kill you all with rusty nails.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-01-24, 3:17 AM #23
You know, there's a few of us over at deviantART and other sites, that'll probably know what I mean when I say 'wow'-comments suck, but positive comments are great. Instead of saying just that you like it, put ome effort into your comment and tell the artist what you like about it. It'll give him/her a better idea of what'sgood, and thus might be worth further exploring.
2006-01-26, 10:40 AM #24
Originally posted by MBeggar:
Actually... it is pretty useful. Especially since most people who post in here dont understand what critiques are.

We all know he critiquing is just a nice way to insult someone!
2006-01-26, 11:35 AM #25
Remember, somebody who only says Wow and Awesome and Sexy isn't necessarily making a critique, no matter how hollow it might be. They're often just expressing their personal opinion. Same goes for if they don't like the work. There's a large difference between a critique and someone's opinion.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
2006-01-27, 9:45 AM #26
i crit for 1000
2006-01-27, 11:00 PM #27
wow comments suck.

it's my job to comment on my students doing. I don't think saying "wow" will help them improve.

say "wow" if you're incompetent. otherwise just voice your opinion and **** all counter opinions.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2006-07-17, 12:16 AM #28
What the hell? Somebody got into my account I swear. I did not write the post above. :eek:
2006-07-17, 12:25 AM #29
Ret, go back to third grade and learn how to spell righteous. :rolleyes:
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-06-23, 10:41 PM #30
:hist101: :hist101:
2008-06-23, 11:05 PM #31
I agree with the thing in principle, but it's making too many concessions to the immature artist, I think (sign of its origin I guess). Specifically the stuff about not redlining someone's drawing unless you get explicit permission--some people need to get over themselves.

Originally posted by Verticae:
You know, there's a few of us over at deviantART and other sites, that'll probably know what I mean when I say 'wow'-comments suck, but positive comments are great. Instead of saying just that you like it, put ome effort into your comment and tell the artist what you like about it. It'll give him/her a better idea of what'sgood, and thus might be worth further exploring.

agreed. it can be frustrating when the only options for feedback are "you did everything wrong" sites like PA and ConceptArt, and "wow this si amazing how did u get so good" sites like DA
2008-06-23, 11:53 PM #32
Still stupid, except for #7.

#1 is especially stupid.
2008-06-24, 5:16 AM #33
Rezzed and un-stickied? Why?

(Haha thrawn[numbarz] is dumb.)
2008-06-24, 6:25 AM #34
Wasnt rezzed, just unstickied cause i felt it wasnt necessary anymore :P

↑ Up to the top!