Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → Lovecraft
Lovecraft
2006-02-06, 11:02 AM #1
I decided to make a level of what I envisioned some of H.P. Lovecraft's creations would dwell in. It's mostly going to be in the theme of a temple that is located in a coastal region. Not sure if it will be MP or SP as of yet, only time will tell.

[http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/16619.jpg]
This is a shot of the (unfinished) main room.

[http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/16620.jpg]
This is the entrance hall which leads to the main room. I'm going to add some pillars to it soon.

Again, this isn't complete yet and I will post some more screens of it soon.
Who made you God to say "I'll take your life from you"?
2006-02-06, 11:22 AM #2
i like it, but i wanna see better 256x256 16 bit textures.

good work on lighting.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-02-06, 12:16 PM #3
it looks okay, but it looks too....above ground. lovecraftian temples tend to be buride beneath the earth.

the lighting is good, it looks very twilighty and stuff, but the archi seems too structured. *shrug* i always imagined elder god's temples to be a bit more organic, i guess.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-02-06, 12:33 PM #4
Well, I also used the following picture as a reference. It doesn't show the inside of the temple, so I just used my imagination for that. The picture makes the temple look structured and above ground, but still very close to the water.

[http://www.emf.net/~estephen/cthulhu.gif]
2006-02-06, 9:16 PM #5
Actually, that temple is on an island in the Pacific (I think), and serves as a gateway to the submerged city of R'lyeh. But what you've got so far still looks good.
2006-02-06, 9:25 PM #6
Trige, I universally support any Lovecraftian-inspired JK pursuits. If you want any help or wish to collaborate with certain other secret, Lovecraftian editings that may be in progress <.< >.>, send me an PM.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-02-06, 9:57 PM #7
Shouldn't Lovecraftian geometry be physically imposible in the Sith Engine?
And yeah, that leads downward.
To paraphrase a gaming article on Somethingawful I read a while back, "Nice going, HP Warcraft."

-Fi baitihi Ra'Allah, tahlemu Kthulhu mowtaa.
2006-02-06, 9:58 PM #8
I like the lighting and your selection of textures.
2006-02-14, 9:41 AM #9
Some updates!
The Development of one of the upper rooms.
[http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/16622.jpg]
[http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/16623.jpg]

The stairway/hallway junction that joins the lower main room to the upper rooms.
[http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/16624.jpg]
2006-02-14, 10:50 AM #10
When you get some hideous statues in there and impossible angles, it will be 100% cooler. :cool:
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-02-14, 8:24 PM #11
Your BEAUTIFUL archi actually makes those horrid JK textures look almost decent.... just imagine how good that map would look if you used BEAUTIFUL TEXTURES...
We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams...
Neurotic||Mobius Grith||The Atrium
2006-02-14, 8:30 PM #12
Wikipedia says HP Lovecraft was a white supremacist.

Are you going to take that from Wikipedia?
2006-02-15, 5:17 AM #13
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
']Wikipedia says HP Lovecraft was a white supremacist.

Are you going to take that from Wikipedia?

I've also seen Wikipedia say that Dave Mustaine was born a sterile retard. I have a feeling you can't trust everything on that site.

Thanks for the compliments. If I find a texture pack that has a nice size of textures in it that work together, then I'll update the textures.
2006-02-15, 6:02 AM #14
Originally posted by halucid:
[/SIZE]
Didja even look at those yet? Most of those are perfect for your map. Trust me! I wouldn't lie to ya, Trige.
2006-02-15, 7:05 AM #15
Yes, I looked through the textures on that site, but I didn't really see many good textures that I thought I could have used. There were a few that would have been good, but the colors and shading weren't right.
2006-02-15, 8:49 AM #16
It's really just these that I'd have suggested. It's the now open source Max Payne texture set in hi-res. I used some in my Mobius Grith level for the HLP.

The rest of the textures on that site are lame as hell.
2006-02-15, 10:35 AM #17
I thought that Cthulhu was the only one that dwelled near/in the ocean. I was fairly sure the rest of them dwelled throughout the world.

I could be wrong, but either way--BADASS.
D E A T H
2006-02-15, 2:45 PM #18
Yeah, those are the textures that I saw Hal. I'm looking more for a set of stone/block textures. That pack only had a few, and they were way too green. And also it won't allow me to delete some of the files that came with that download :mad: , so I'll have to find some other place to get some textures (that will let me delete them if I don't like them :D ). Thanks for the link though.
2006-02-15, 6:28 PM #19
Originally posted by SM_Trige:
I've also seen Wikipedia say that Dave Mustaine was born a sterile retard. I have a feeling you can't trust everything on that site.

Hahah
2006-02-15, 8:45 PM #20
One question: How does a giant tentaclesquidmonster (Cthulhu) fit inside those tiny doors?
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-02-15, 9:48 PM #21
lol i finally realized that he was tossing out a guy in that pic. :D I like that squidbeast thingey
This is retarded, and I mean drooling at the mouth
2006-02-16, 5:45 AM #22
I've always heard that Squidbeast Thingies are very flexible and that they can easily sliver thru doorways that are 1/4 of their size.
2006-02-16, 10:00 AM #23
Well, perhaps when people are mentioning unthinkable angles and dimensions for architecture, maybe the real question is how something larger than a building can fit into the building. If you notice in the picture, Cthulhu is larger than the building that it is coming out of. Plus, if I were to make the level to scale of a giant sea monster, there would be too many large, open spaces and players probably wouldn't be able to get to the second story without a grappling hook mod.

↑ Up to the top!