Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → 'The House in the Woods' to be put on HOLD!!
'The House in the Woods' to be put on HOLD!!
2006-03-01, 11:42 PM #1
... To make way for something else..

[http://www.jkhub.net/project/screens/project-235-jOoywJeiJ6.jpg]

[http://www.jkhub.net/project/screens/project-235-gLohrWLwWt.jpg]

[http://www.jkhub.net/project/screens/project-235-breOY58Wby.jpg]

[http://www.jkhub.net/project/screens/project-235-Md9mdx0CqN.jpg]

[http://www.jkhub.net/project/screens/project-235-qFy9s88Siw.jpg]

L A B O R A T O R Y : V O L U M E - I I
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-03-01, 11:58 PM #2
holy god sex
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-02, 12:46 AM #3
Death Star cell block?
2006-03-02, 3:22 AM #4
Looks like the corridors of a spaceship in Alien. Has some resemblance to the Death Star cell block, though, yes. Anyway, very promising shots...
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)
2006-03-02, 3:37 AM #5
Nice, yes... but it's just the same thing over and over.
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-03-02, 4:36 AM #6
I'll believe it when I see an enemy. I retain my statement that lab 1 was a horrible let-down.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-02, 5:11 AM #7
It's a good start, but a bit too early for screenshots. Nice lighting, tho. Dont forget to lay pipes.
We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams...
Neurotic||Mobius Grith||The Atrium
2006-03-02, 7:40 AM #8
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I'll believe it when I see an enemy. I retain my statement that lab 1 was a horrible let-down.

good ol Kirb, forever the critic
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-03-02, 8:37 AM #9
Couldja finish WITHIN 5 years this time?!
2006-03-02, 8:42 AM #10
It's the Death Star with the light turned off. ;o
Seishun da!
2006-03-02, 10:16 AM #11
Looks good.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-03-02, 10:33 AM #12
I've been inside the colosseum a while back, and I can tell you it looked nothing like this.

¬.¬
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

http://veddertheshredder.com
2006-03-02, 10:59 AM #13
I see it and the word "bunker" pops in to my mind. Looks good.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
2006-03-02, 11:36 AM #14
Originally posted by Isuwen:
Nice, yes... but it's just the same thing over and over.

Yeah, that's all the level I have built as of yet.. I wanted to get shots up as soon as I could

and this hallway (based off of the ones in Ailens) has been a laboratory trademark since Laboratory 5...

[http://www.massassi.org/sotd/images/full/2000-05-07.jpg]
(Screenshot from Laboratory 5)
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-03-02, 12:24 PM #15
Me and you Sprial, we are gunna go and make some manbabies, now!

(w00t, political pressureish)
Major projects working on:
SATNRT, JK Pistol Mod, Aliens TC, Firearms

Completed
Judgement Day (HLP), My level pack
2006-03-02, 1:52 PM #16
Originally posted by Delphian:
Death Star cell block?

That's what I thought too.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2006-03-02, 2:15 PM #17
Excellent work so far

where will this take place in relation to the first episode?
2006-03-02, 4:14 PM #18
NEW RULE: Editors are no longer permitted to have more projects than they can feasably complete within their life span.

2006-03-02, 4:43 PM #19
MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!

*grovel*
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-03-02, 4:44 PM #20
Looks promising, but I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing this one. Can you maybe post some concept art?
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2006-03-02, 6:39 PM #21
[QUOTE=The Mega-ZZTer]NEW RULE: Editors are no longer permitted to have more projects than they can feasably complete within their life span.[/QUOTE]
Sadly, this is very true. :gbk:
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2006-03-02, 7:16 PM #22
Guess I better go play the first one and see what I've been missing out on eh? :o
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-03-02, 7:43 PM #23
Originally posted by Space_Bandit:
Guess I better go play the first one and see what I've been missing out on eh? :o

Lackluster archi with odd lighting and an overrated storyline and absolutely no fear what-so-ever.

No monsters or weapons.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-02, 7:45 PM #24
Yes. I have long awaited news of Laboratory... I am very happy to see that you are moving forward with it.

I can't wait for some combat now. Vol. I was great for setting the scene and such, but I'm ready for battle.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed...
2006-03-02, 8:46 PM #25
yeah, JediKirby hated it... but I hate him, so everything equals out :)
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-03-02, 9:38 PM #26
I love the last picture, spiral.. with the lighting on the floor from the rails is going to look sweet when finished.. which brings me to my next point.. finish the texturing then awe us with awesomeness.. your always posting these dflt.mat pictures! lol

anyway, yeah can't wait to see that hallway finished up and have some life in it.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-03-03, 4:32 PM #27
Finish House in the Woods, dammit.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2006-03-03, 4:43 PM #28
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Lackluster archi with odd lighting and an overrated storyline and absolutely no fear what-so-ever.

No monsters or weapons.

So it has to be a wild shoot-em-up to be scary, according to you? I loved the first Laboratory because it was scary and kept making me think I was gonna be eaten around the next corner because I was so helpless and lonely... :(
DO NOT WANT.
2006-03-03, 9:44 PM #29
I dunno, Haven nearly made me wet myself.
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-03-03, 9:51 PM #30
Originally posted by Zell:
kept making me think I was gonna be eaten around the next corner because I was so helpless and lonely... :(

...yeah, but the problem is that you never WERE eaten around the next corner. The opportunity never came up. It was dissapointing.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-03-04, 7:42 AM #31
EMON: you didn't Know that when you were playing.. and there can't be enemies in the first few levels for a few VERY VERY good reasons... and I have said this MANY MANY times, I am almost getting sick of having to explain this....

If I am in a strage Lab that I was hired to go in, and I was attacked by ONE monster.. i would say "to hell with this.. I'm leaving".... The charactor had to get LOST before he saw the creatures.. so he had an excuse to STAY....

also, this comes up later in the plot.. He had to get the tissue sample and data disc BEFORE any creatures showed up.....

Also, he had to get a weapon before any creatures showed up.....

Also, in order to make the first cutscene of Lab vol 2 to work, he the first shot of one of the creatures had to be of it attacking the charactor.. and it had to be where you couldn;t see ti very well...

Also, the enemy AI files had a few bugs in it.. you guys should be GLAD that I didn't put them in yet....

It's not like I just FORGOT to put the enemys in, so stop acting like that... I had VERY good reasons not to, and if you still don't understand why, then play Volume 2 and find out for yourself...
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-03-04, 9:28 AM #32
Actually, that's how some recent games had it set up. Until you acquired a weapon, there was nothing to fight(or you could fight with at that moment). For example, (spoiler tags for those who haven't played Doom 3 and Half-life 2.) the first level of Doom 3 was nothing but getting used to the enviroment. You didn't even get a weapon until the second level. Half-life 2, you were completely defenseless against the combine until you met up with Alyx. Spiral intended to follow along that path.

Anyways, like the look of the hallways so far(does remind of Death Star like everyone else said) but what I think would make it more interesting is instead of putting the lights on the rails, put them along the edges of the floor. And in the first shot, the ceiling before the entrance to a room just doesn't seem to fit, its just that a rusted metal texture doesn't seem to fit well there. Other than that, keep up the good work!
No sig.
2006-03-04, 6:33 PM #33
I don't consider a very good reason to be "I wanted the player to get lost first." Storylines should support levels and gameplay. A lack of gameplay with annoyingly sensless archi/linear hallways is NOT made up for by a 1 page storyline. I'm sorry, but Half Life 2 and Doom 3 actually ENTERTAINED me while I wasn't fighting monsters. Lab only sent me on a wild hampster maze to get to some computer that gave me 3 or 4 pages of text followed by the END.

I'm not saying you didn't THINK you had a reason, I'm saying that 4 years of work on a project and a gigantically massive hype does not warrent a 10 minute level of lighting skews, random hallways with no doors/damage at the end, and absolutely no enemies.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-04, 7:03 PM #34
well, jedikirby, I'd like to see you release a TC.. I'd like to see you release ANYTHING
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-03-04, 7:07 PM #35
Um... You can watch a movie without any knowledge of movie making and still dislike it. Movies and Video Games in particular are forms of ENTERTAINMENT. You didn't entertain me. Considering I have extensive knowledge with the JK engine, and specific knowledge of your capabilities, I have even more insight to what the project was capable of. Don't give me that "Do better" crap. I'm not trying to beat you, I'm trying to convince you to go for your full potential.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-04, 7:12 PM #36
I'm just saying it is very hard to meet everyone's expectations ALL the time, and editing JK can be a very hard thing to do.. one minute you are psyched, and the next you are pulling your hair out because of one little 3do number that throws your whole opening cutscene off... the fact that you didn't like it isn't what bothers me, it's the lack of respect of ALL THE WORK i put into it. if you go through and look and think about it.. I put a LOT of stuff into Laboratory, including 3 years of my life, just to hear people say it was garbage.. that don't make me too happy...
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-03-04, 7:14 PM #37
I saw a lot of concept work that I can respect. The only gameplay that I saw any massive amount of work put into it was the in-game cutscene that I helped suggest to you. I'm sorry I'm not more impressed, but the multitude of scary music and evil looking alien drawings and spooky background wallpapers weren't at all incorporated into your 3 year masterpiece.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-04, 7:17 PM #38
because it's not completed yet... I was going to hold Laboratory back until it was completely finished... but I figured that I'd better release what I had, then just keep it, and it turn out that i wouldn't start working on it again till 2006... but the very beginning of Laboratory Vol 2 introduces the "creatures" and the game itself is designed entirely different now..
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-03-04, 7:19 PM #39
Well, if you need any cirtical advice and *****ing to make the levels look nice and keep it all spiffy, you know where I am.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-04, 7:53 PM #40
Spiral wins because LAB 1 WAS AWESOME! :p

↑ Up to the top!