Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → JK? Just Kidding
JK? Just Kidding
2008-12-09, 10:00 PM #1
No, it's not JK, but to make it legit there is a little story to go with it.

2.5 years ago when I thought JED was actually a cool, hip editor, I thought about making some sort of CTF level for a contest. I forget. So I did a short project of making it in UT3! Even though the EDIT: game is a year old, the engine (and editor) is standardized between all the different games that use the unreal engine. It's also easy to use compared to JED.

I am mainly posting this for criticism, but I am also familiar with most of the faults, the primary two being 1) no custom assets which gives the map a very overly-UTish and sometimes odd look and 2) the items look black in the screenshots because I took the screenshots in the editor.

Anyway here's one of the original screenshots from way back in the day:
[http://www.jkhub.net/project/screens/project-255-joFefwyziv.jpg]

And now I have this:
Build time: 1.5 weeks (everything you see here)
Attachment: 20720/red_flagroom.jpg (141,289 bytes)
Attachment: 20721/middle_room.jpg (99,172 bytes)
Attachment: 20722/red_side.jpg (124,997 bytes)
Attachment: 20723/red_side2.jpg (130,348 bytes)
Attachment: 20724/red_side3.jpg (122,926 bytes)
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2008-12-09, 10:01 PM #2
Hawt
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-12-10, 8:58 AM #3
I dunno, the UT3 shots are so visually busy, I kinda like simplicity of the JK screenshot.

But I assume, because it's shots in the editor window, that it isn't fully shadowed?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-12-10, 1:18 PM #4
I like the openness of the JK shot. The skylights are nice.

UT ones look good too though. Nice all around.
2008-12-10, 1:53 PM #5
Since UT2k3, UT (And all Unreal engine games) have suffered from big-box-with-lots-of-static-meshes-thrown-around syndrome.
2008-12-10, 4:29 PM #6
JM is right. I've walked through some of the ones in UT3 box and they have static meshes...everywhere. Not that they don't look nice but sometimes they are a little overwhelming (the CTF level that's in a city comes to mind). I might make it a point to try to use static meshes a little more sparingly but more effectively.
2008-12-12, 8:27 AM #7
UnrealED easy compared to JED?

I dunno why, but JED was the easiest editor I've ever used. I even started a project of recreating the Citadel from Mass Effect in JED. It was going pretty well, but once I realized the scale of what I was doing for a game no one played... well... why bother.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-12-12, 8:34 AM #8
UED is the easiest editor ever. Either you put blocks together like LEGO or you carve things from empty space like candy... making.

And it's UED weeeeee
2008-12-12, 11:45 AM #9
Jed is the superior editor; unreal has the superior engine because it supports brushes and sectors for easier editing.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-12-12, 11:57 AM #10
Technically Unreal engine has additive brushes and substractive brushes, the latter which some people might call sectors but don't really work like JK sectors in any manner.
2008-12-12, 1:42 PM #11
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
UED is the easiest editor ever. Either you put blocks together like LEGO or you carve things from empty space like candy... making.

And it's UED weeeeee

Nay. Clicking in dragging in GTK > entering in digits in boxes on UED. :colbert:
DO NOT WANT.
2008-12-12, 1:49 PM #12
I still prefer the ability to see lighting in-editor than compiling something for hours just for that [http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/emot-burger.gif]
2008-12-12, 8:39 PM #13
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
UnrealED easy compared to JED?

I dunno why, but JED was the easiest editor I've ever used. I even started a project of recreating the Citadel from Mass Effect in JED. It was going pretty well, but once I realized the scale of what I was doing for a game no one played... well... why bother.

Dude you should finish it! That would be bad ***.
2008-12-13, 5:27 AM #14
Originally posted by Zell:
Nay. Clicking in dragging in GTK > entering in digits in boxes on UED. :colbert:

Wrong. Geometry tool.
2008-12-20, 12:08 AM #15
Cool pics... I was going to buy that game at some point. Are you going to release that, cause if I ever own UT3, I might check it out at some point.
2008-12-20, 8:22 PM #16
Don't forget to port it to PS3 too so I can play it :P
2008-12-26, 8:41 AM #17
Originally posted by Eddbanger:
Cool pics... I was going to buy that game at some point. Are you going to release that, cause if I ever own UT3, I might check it out at some point.

You can get UT3 for $19.99 these days. And that's the special edition.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-12-30, 7:19 PM #18
I've done some mapping for Unreal, UT99 and UT2k4, great editor but i agree with the comment about just a big box with static meshes, not that your map doesnt look great - it looks fantastic, its just a side affect of the natural work flow when you using the editor, it always happens. Too bad you can't really put the terrain editor to use in any of the JK CTF maps.
2008-12-31, 4:44 PM #19
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
You can get UT3 for $19.99 these days. And that's the special edition.

Got it for Xbox 360 yesterday... its rad.
I guess I could get through the 360 being live and all that.

↑ Up to the top!