Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → WIP... Again
WIP... Again
2008-12-21, 10:08 AM #1
Hi, fellow modders :)!

I've been rather silent (yes, that's an understatement) for the last six months, mostly because I've been quite busy (that's also an understatement). Although the work on my mod has obviously slowed down, I've managed somehow to finish it. Yes, shocks the hell out of me too. There has been a good deal of change in the story, hence the new title: Star Wars - Privateer, which was previously known as Star Wars - Invasion. Privateer is a three maps campaign featuring side quests, throwable objects, cinematics, excitement, and a girl with purple hair as main character. Now for the bad part, my project does not include voice-acting. I know you all prefer voice-acting whenever possible and so do I, but it's a lot of work (one hundred and forty-four lines of dialogue), and I have too little time. I know it's a shame, but this is the best I can offer. I guess that an unvoiced mod is better than no mod at all.

Although my mod is near completion, I need a bit of help to check for grammar, spelling and typographical errors. I know it's a very boring task, but English is not my natural language and I would hate to release a mod filled with spelling mistakes. Here is the opening crawl:

"The relative peace in the galaxy and the growing number of JEDI KNIGHTS, have led to the disbanding of NOVA UNIT. Unwilling to join the NEW REPUBLIC ARMY, Commander NINA DELENDA, has formed a private military company mostly comprised of imperial veterans, branded traitors by the EMPIRE.

In the meantime, a new threat to the Republic has emerged in the person of MOFF SERENIM, a dangerous political leader obsessed with bringing the Empire back to its former glory. Thanks to his vast wealth, Moff serenim has been able to gain the upper hand over his most outspoken adversary, admiral GILAD PELLAEON.

Now in an uneasy position, admiral Pellaeon has decided to take more drastic measures to prevent another full-scale conflict between the Imperial Remnant and the Republic...."

You can download the almost-final-version of Privateer from here:
http://perso.orange.fr/lmb-maps/download/Privateer.zip

Comments are always welcome, as usual. I hope you'll enjoy playing Privateer as much as I enjoyed creating it.

P.S: You can also have a look at my old thread here , for outdated informations an screenshots ;).
"You look like you need a monkey..."
2008-12-22, 1:26 PM #2
So is this the second installment in the series?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-12-24, 3:31 AM #3
Actually, Privateer will be the fifth installment in the Nina series ;).

The first chapter was released in 2004, 'Undiscovered secret' in 2005, 'Nova unit' and 'Genesis' were both released in 2006.

Invasion should have been released in 2007, but I was not entirely satisfied with the story, so I rewrote it, and Invasion became Privateer.
2008-12-24, 9:55 AM #4
So should we play the previous installments before trying this one? If so, where do we get them?
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2008-12-26, 5:54 AM #5
I remember playing this when it was Invasion.

Was good, few confusing bits (The key code puzzles were nuts, especially the lift one). End boss fight was odd as I kinda killed the Moff and then he's alive.

Ever thought of trying to make JA or JK2 into a Stormtrooper FPS? I'd be happy to assist with the story/dialogue and even voice acting.

I'll be happy to go through your script and spell check edit grammar where needed.
2008-12-26, 9:52 AM #6
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
So should we play the previous installments before trying this one? If so, where do we get them?

No, playing the previous mods is not an absolute prerequisite for enjoying Privateer :). Anyway, they're all available for download on JK3files:

Nina
Undiscovered secret
Nova unit
Genesis

(Hmm, talk about shameless self-promotion :rolleyes:)

Originally posted by The_Reafis:
I remember playing this when it was Invasion.

Was good, few confusing bits (The key code puzzles were nuts, especially the lift one). End boss fight was odd as I kinda killed the Moff and then he's alive.

Ever thought of trying to make JA or JK2 into a Stormtrooper FPS? I'd be happy to assist with the story/dialogue and even voice acting.

I'll be happy to go through your script and spell check edit grammar where needed.

Thank you for the feedback. The puzzles were meant to be nuts :), but I suppose I can make the clue for the lift one easier to spot. Consider it done. A big thank for your proposal, you can download the script from here. Cheers!
2008-12-26, 1:13 PM #7
Originally posted by Larry McBruce:
Actually, Privateer will be the fifth installment in the Nina series ;).

The first chapter was released in 2004, 'Undiscovered secret' in 2005, 'Nova unit' and 'Genesis' were both released in 2006.

Oh. I was playing them independently.

And if you do have issues with grammar, I think you can easily get quick help here.
2008-12-26, 1:29 PM #8
Larry, I really admire your dedication and hard work!
2008-12-26, 1:39 PM #9
Gave it a whirl. Most of the issues were spelling related. Seemed like the vast majority of the script was spotless.
Attachment: 20840/fixed_scripts1.zip (9,958 bytes)
2008-12-27, 9:42 AM #10
Awesome! Thank you Echo, you just made my day :). By the way, I have two screenshots for you people.

[http://perso.orange.fr/lmb-maps/images/star_destroyer2.jpg]

[http://perso.orange.fr/lmb-maps/images/star_destroyer3.jpg]
2008-12-28, 4:59 AM #11
Wow thats cool. Not 100% sure on scales but to be honest it doesnt matter.
2008-12-28, 7:02 AM #12
You mean the scale between the two star destroyers? Well, I think it's a matter of perspective. The imperial class is about 30% longer than the older Venator class. But I agree, it's not really obvious from this angle.
2008-12-29, 2:35 PM #13
Are they .ASA models?
2008-12-29, 3:16 PM #14
Scale looks right to me. I'd be interested in their scale relative the player. If it's a cut scene, it doesn't matter. But the q3 engine really, really does not like a full-size star destroyer.
2008-12-30, 1:43 AM #15
Yes, they 're both .ASE models. It is a useful and reliable format. Actually, I'm not sure the old Q3 engine could handle a full-scale star destroyer. I know that Raven has released some kind of star destroyer map for JA ages ago, but I don't know if the the size was correct.
2008-12-30, 2:21 AM #16
You should be able to do a full size SD in JA, it's only 1km long.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-12-30, 5:06 AM #17
It seems short. But then you realize that the engine measures everything in 32nds of a meter.

You would need to greatly increase the block size first, and you would need to pump the far plane way up.

And then you would get a **** ton of z-fighting.

I didn't say it wasn't possible. I said the engine really, really wouldn't like it.
2009-01-05, 9:29 PM #18
Excellent as usual. And good to play. Thanks Larry.
Do you plane a sequel?
2009-01-06, 5:59 AM #19
I don't know Gana, I haven't decided yet :). Q3 engine is getting very old and the community really thin, but if I come up with a decent story, why not?

↑ Up to the top!