Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → Following the “Goat”-tales
Following the “Goat”-tales
2009-03-29, 7:57 PM #1
A Dream-Inspired Story by Grismath

My name is Gotellit Ginsley. Everybody calls me “Goat.” Last weekend I graduated from Miskatonic University with a degree in Folk Literature and Art History. Yesterday I was walking my neighbor’s dog in the city. The Mondello mutt is tiny, like a slipper with a fuzzy caricature of a dog on it. I took it to the modern art museum for a not unselfish perusal. Shepherd Fairey has a new exhibit and I wanted to see if my Zodiac killer-reminiscent (but not inspired) newspaper collages yet qualified as art. Surprisingly, the dog was not charged admission.

I strolled from one gallery to the next. Soon I had to use the men’s room. No signs were visible so I walked erratic circles around the gallery floor until I located the museum directory, itself a work of modern art. Apparently, a camera judged the orientation of my head and rotated a circular representation of the museum appropriately. All the room names were in French. The map spun like my head in confusion. I touched the map, hoping it might respond, but smudged the glass. Another screen showed my face. I spoke the French word for “bathroom” but this screen displayed some wildly different word I didn’t understand with a digital finger swishing back in forth in reprimand. I said “bathroom” again but the screen interpreted my word as “doorjamb” and started pinpointing the location of each on the map, which spun wildly as I tried to inspect it.

I left and almost immediately happened upon a restroom. I knew it was a restroom because the white floor gave way to black tiles that were much easier to clean. As I approached the door, I apprehended the end of a man’s explanation that “this is the men’s room!” Several female voices cackled in response. The door bore some avant-garde representation of gender that I didn’t understand, so I went in. The man must have been stating his mistakenness, as this was clearly the restroom for ladies, all of whom cackled with even greater vehemence and glee as I scampered out, the Dog in tow.

A would-be curator accosted me as I continued my search. “Monsieur, monsieur!” he exclaimed and took my arm. It was clear he spoke no English, so I tried to make do; I asked for the bathroom, if he please. When I showed off the pooch, the would-be curator merely gave me a look. I’m very bad at interpreting facial expressions on account of my poor eyesight, so I don’t know what the look meant.

He was, on the whole, a friendly fellow, though, and it was in his company that I spotted a lady walking by with a dog of the same breed as the Mondellos’. She cradled it like a baby. Unlike most dogs, that yelp and fight or mate in the company of their kind, the lady’s dog just stared, glassy-eyed, at the ceiling. The Mondello mutt displayed a regal indifference, and I petted him for his discipline. They must have spent a fortune on his obedience and training. I should have paid attention to the route, but somehow I appeared at the men’s restroom. The gentleman not only guided me to but accompanied me in the restroom, assuming a seat and putting out a tip bowl for when I’d concluded my business and perhaps applied some cologne or hair gel.

As soon as I mounted a urinal, I felt the strangest sensation – not in my nether regions. I was suddenly and inexplicably viewing the world through the eyes of the lady’s dog. I looked around and tried to scream, but only yapped. Yap yap yap! I hopped out of my owner’s arms and galloped for the location of my physical body, hoping that if I could unite consciousness and corpse, I would return to normal. I am not familiar with the physiology of this particular canine breed, but my terror at having an out-of-body experience must have been prodigious enough to make me excrete some pretty serious pheromones; literally hundreds of tiny pups joined the race to my body. We flooded into the restroom, where I saw my vacant-eyed bod staggering about, the riderless horse. In a panic, I leapt for the brain, but only made it as high as the neck, where I instinctively latched on with my pointy little teeth. My fur-clad companions did likewise.

I returned to my body, now enflamed with pain and under siege by hundreds of dogs just like the Mondello mutt. I wailed and thrashed, but the persistent little pups latched on with greater fervor. I thumped those dogs attached to my arms against the stall walls in a vain attempt to dislodge some, maim others. Overwhelmed, I sunk to my knees, neck-deep in small dogs, and let out one last, great cry.

“Goat? Is that you? What the hell are you doing down there?!” It was my mom, hollering, not unlike a dog, from the top of the basement stairwell. I woke up, at home, in a pile of fuzzy slippers that had fallen from a shelf. I really need to get a job.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2009-03-30, 3:58 PM #2
I was compelled to keep on reading just because of how bizarre it was, but your ending negates the entire story. Any story that ends with "and then I woke up" is ultimately pointless, as nothing had actually happened. To add onto that, I would try making the beginning and the end complement each other.

Eg., beginning: My name is Gotellit Ginsley. Everybody used to call me “Goat.”
End: ...and let out one last, great cry. (paragraph break) I've since then recovered, and my payback was swift. My name is Gotellit Ginsley. They call me "Le Goat," and Paris has twelve dogs less and counting.

Yeah, lame, I know, but can't think of anything better ATM. :)
幻術
2009-03-31, 4:56 PM #3
This was inspired by actual events... I apparently woke up beating the wall with my arm and trying to yell. :P Hahahaha
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2009-04-01, 8:10 AM #4
quite an entertaining short! gets a little confusing around the out of body experience bit, but i guess that is covered by it being a dream? anyways enjoyed it!
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob

↑ Up to the top!