Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → Camera Tricks
Camera Tricks
2009-05-22, 12:06 AM #1
Well, I'm back from the dead and editing JK again, if you remember me. I had a random idea one night and decided to throw it into a cog. I'm amazed how easily it was to implement. It gives JK an adventure-game-y feel and works in any level. Works with teleporters, platforming puzzles, everything. It also makes it the hardest shooter game in the world, but still

excuse the poor video editing

If you want to try it:
http://www.jkhub.net/project/show.php?projid=495

Any thoughts?
if(GetLocalPlayerThing() != jkGetLocalPlayer()) call implode_universe;
2009-05-22, 12:37 AM #2
Hah! That's really clever, I like it.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-05-22, 5:21 AM #3
It's making me dizzy...
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-05-22, 6:54 AM #4
Implementation looks good! Too bad I personally hate this camera style as I find myself botching precise maneuvers during a camera switch :P
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-05-22, 8:01 AM #5
Hearing those sounds makes me sick to my stomach with nostalgia.

Also, that's really neat. :D Is it hard to aim, though?
2009-05-22, 8:37 AM #6
Jon`C's criticizing me had me thinking about you yesterday, actually. Kind of creepy to see your name pop up right after that.

I love watching the video, but I can't imagine that'd be easy to control.

Edit: The end is amazing and I actually laughed outloud.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-05-22, 9:38 AM #7
lol, nice vid.

Camera angles would get annoying, but it's implementation is just wicked. Maybe the cameras move a little too much though xD

Would work really nice in dynamic cutscenes of some sort. :D
2009-05-22, 11:07 AM #8
Originally posted by Axis:
sick to my stomach with nostalgia.

Sick with nostalgia?! :rant: :P

Yeah, it's pretty hard to control. It was just an experiment in cog rather than any sort of meaningful mod.

Sorry about the gigantic mod Kirby, did anything come of the guided missile weapon at least?
2009-05-22, 12:18 PM #9
Interesting looking mod. It's too bad JK has overlapping sectors, or you could have made a Zelda-style third person camera. I think that would be a bit easier to control.

Originally posted by __Ace_1_:
Sorry about the gigantic mod Kirby, did anything come of the guided missile weapon at least?
Was this 'guided missile weapon' a part of a project led by JediKirby? If so, no, nothing ever came of it.
2009-05-22, 1:54 PM #10
Was that the real music for that mini club thing in the first level? I don't remember it sounding like that, but it's been awhile since I've played JK.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2009-05-22, 1:57 PM #11
Haha "lol oops"

Pretty interesting, of course that does affect the gameplay quite a beet but I could see it being very useful in creating cutscenes that would look different each time you play them. Or something!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-05-22, 3:36 PM #12
Quote:
Interesting looking mod. It's too bad JK has overlapping sectors, or you could have made a Zelda-style third person camera. I think that would be a bit easier to control.

I fail to see how overlapping sectors would matter at all.
2009-05-22, 3:40 PM #13
Nice mod. About time someone did this.

Also, OTS, OMG. I didn't think anyone actually played that level. :awesome:

Originally posted by Veger:
Was that the real music for that mini club thing in the first level? I don't remember it sounding like that, but it's been awhile since I've played JK.

Yeah, that was the original Cantina band music. The game's soundtrack didn't kick in until you left the bar.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2009-05-22, 5:09 PM #14
Originally posted by JM:
I fail to see how overlapping sectors would matter at all.
SetThingPos does not and cannot update the thing sector. It's impossible to determine the sector at a particular location.

Originally posted by gbk:
Yeah, that was the original Cantina band music. The game's soundtrack didn't kick in until you left the bar.

The CD music begins immediately upon level start. It plays over the Cantina music.
2009-05-22, 6:33 PM #15
gbk, I'll have you know you just gave me a great idea for my jk remake. ;)
DO NOT WANT.
2009-05-22, 9:43 PM #16
Originally posted by Jon`C:

Was this 'guided missile weapon' a part of a project led by JediKirby? If so, no, nothing ever came of it.

SetCameraOffset

Seriously. Do you even have the latest JK UP? :P
2009-05-22, 10:19 PM #17
Originally posted by Xzero:
SetCameraOffset
That is still not adequate for the creation of a Zelda-style camera.

Quote:
Seriously. Do you even have the latest JK UP? :P
No.
2009-05-22, 11:36 PM #18
Originally posted by Jon`C:
That is still not adequate for the creation of a Zelda-style camera.

No.

Lol. Get it :P

It should be very adequate. I offset the external camera to create a Force Unleashed style force grip camera angle for my force grip cog (force grip as in grab and levitate, not force choke), and I could certainly use it to create a Gears of War or Zelda camera angle.

You know what, I might actually try it :ninja:
2009-05-23, 1:43 AM #19
My camera uses the infamous FireProjectile as conservatively as possible to determine the next camera position. I need the collision detection to make sure the camera doesn't end up behind things. The number spammed in the video is the thing count.
2009-05-23, 4:24 AM #20
Quote:
SetThingPos does not and cannot update the thing sector. It's impossible to determine the sector at a particular location.

No ****. Hence why you don't use that. ^^ Read what this fellow wrote about it.
2009-05-23, 7:33 AM #21
Originally posted by gbk:
Nice mod. About time someone did this..

By the way, CaveDemon did something like this for a Matrix-inspired JK mod several years back.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.

↑ Up to the top!