Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → Celebrating the end of 1st Uni Year with some Art
Celebrating the end of 1st Uni Year with some Art
2009-05-28, 9:17 PM #1
Top drawing is obviously just pencil on paper, to create the foundation for painting over in photoshop.

So far as u can see i have done the soldier, he needs tweaking. Most of head i painted myself in PS, the body is a few photos blended together, but i need to merge the head and body better, or positioned better, looks iffy to me atm :carl:
Attachment: 22006/originalstandoff.jpg (216,840 bytes)
Attachment: 22007/soldier.jpg (150,103 bytes)
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2009-05-29, 1:59 AM #2
The body and head are on different perspectives. His head is fully side on, whilst his body isn't really that twisted to compensate so it looks a little dodgey. If you turn your head to the position his head is in, you'll see what I mean, just doesn't feel natural.

Though to be honest the only thing that really makes it stand out is the neck underneath the gun, though I think you know that. Also, wtf is that on his gun?

First drawing is ****ing wicked btw.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2009-05-29, 4:26 AM #3
Originally posted by Oxyonagon:

Though to be honest the only thing that really makes it stand out is the neck underneath the gun, though I think you know that.

Actually, thats armour padding. Not his neck Just realised it looks like it though
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2009-05-29, 12:40 PM #4
It's the texture.

The texture on the face is very present, while the neck and sleeve look too sterile, as if smudged out. Another strange part of the neck is that below the chinstrap, the lack of any definition make it look flat, but this changes below the stock of the rifle. I'd suggest reworking the shadow from the ear down, you'd be more likely to get it to look uniform.

Next to that, the face looks proportionallly wrong because of the way the forehead disappears into the helm - a little more shadow there would be welcome as well, possibly, but just reducing the highlights on the visor could do it.

It's still a lovely picture, I'd just wish I saw something finished by you for once. :p
2009-05-29, 6:32 PM #5
ok the soldier is kiiiinda finished and i changed the perspective of his body a bit
Attachment: 22010/soldierkindafinished.jpg (179,754 bytes)
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2009-05-29, 6:38 PM #6
let me show you me teeth
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-05-30, 10:44 AM #7
My points still stand, and so does Oxy's. You should try and make the color of the neck padding contrast the shirt a bit more if you want to make it work well.
2009-05-30, 12:17 PM #8
It looks really good (obviously way beyond anything I could ever draw), but the blurry neck piece right under the stock looks really out of place. Perhaps more texturing would help. Also, the bottom part of the stock has a white outline. But all in all, awesome stuff!
幻術
2009-05-30, 2:19 PM #9
his head is way too small. it was more accurately sized in the original sketch.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2009-05-30, 6:11 PM #10
I think it looks incredibly good.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-05-30, 6:18 PM #11
Yeah, it looks good to me. You guys are just being picky.

2009-05-31, 1:10 AM #12
I didn't say it looked bad.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2009-05-31, 11:26 AM #13
Originally posted by BombayZeus:
Yeah, it looks good to me. You guys are just being picky.

"Looks good" is not good enough. A real artist never stops when it's "good," they strive for perfection.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-05-31, 11:31 AM #14
No wonder real artists get nothing ever finished then :awesomelon:

I'll echo the "Looks good" that I always say, but I do agree with that... blurry... thing issue.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-05-31, 1:11 PM #15
Lovin' the keyboard on his shoulder

(it's a really nice drawing)
if(GetLocalPlayerThing() != jkGetLocalPlayer()) call implode_universe;
2009-05-31, 4:13 PM #16
In case anyone missed it
Originally posted by Ruthven:
the body is a few photos blended together
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-05-31, 8:38 PM #17
90% of the body is now just painted

did a new neck
Attachment: 22024/editstandoff3 copy.jpg (89,689 bytes)
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2009-05-31, 9:49 PM #18
I really like the neck, the only gripe I have is the left arm, seems weird, like it too long or too thick compared to the rest. maybe it's just because it's less detailed then the rest of the image.
The Gas Station
2009-05-31, 11:36 PM #19
Originally posted by Emon:
"Looks good" is not good enough. A real artist never stops when it's "good," they strive for perfection.

Are you describing an artist or someone with OCD?

I bet if I took a picture of a soldier striking a pose and told you guys I drew it you'd start complaining about the same stuff :P

I think the picture is awesome. Actually, I liked the 2nd to last one best. Colors look more crisp to me. And the neck armor is warranted, especially considering the baddie he's facing.
Lyrics are highly overrated.
2009-06-01, 7:22 AM #20
hmmm i may repeat the shoulder armour on the otherside / make it visible.

The colours are randomly changed when i save it to jpeg. sometimes i add colour dodge, sometimes screen.
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2009-06-01, 7:52 AM #21
Looks bloody great! Now do the alien! :ninja:
幻術

↑ Up to the top!