Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → JK Project: Attack on a Corvette
JK Project: Attack on a Corvette
2009-09-26, 10:33 AM #1
The idea is to have Kyle Katarn, Jedi extraordinare, in service to the Republic but after his many missions, finds himself with a relaxed mission of being an officer on a Corellian Corvette on a patrol mission from Corellia to Tatooine (let me know if this would be in conflict with story/lore, I haven't looked at where the JK series ended off in... forever).

Of course, all does not go well. The plan is to have Katarn wake up in his room to alarms and the ship under attack. An Imperial Star Destroyer has found them and they are being boarded. Tie Fighters and X-wings will be in dog-fights outside the windows, Stormtroopers will be raiding the ship and Rebel soldiers will be returning fire, trying to hold them off. The problem I found here is that I may have to use MotS to get the Rebel soldiers that are on your side. Right now I'm obviously just working on level design though.

My idea is also that Katarn was the main reason for the Imperial ship attack, led by a young and cocky Dark Jedi, who has been sent to assassinate Kyle Katarn. Obviously meeting him will be the boss fight.

I've found a lot of information from the game Star Wars Galaxies, they have an entire map of the inside of a Corellian Corvette. I won't follow it exactly, but it'll give me a good idea of what should go where.

I plan on having cutscenes throughout, depending on how much I can get finished. For sure there are going to be some custom textures, probably a full retexture of one of the Jedi to make my new Dark Jedi. I may do some voice acting as well... never have. I may ask for volunteers if need be....

Pics will be coming soon.
2009-09-26, 10:46 AM #2
I think BSR was working on a vette level at one time. If my memory is correct, you might want to see how far he got on the project, if he still has the level, and if so if you can finish it for him.
2009-09-26, 1:17 PM #3
sounds like a neat idea

I'd love to beta test it for you when your ready
"The quality of the levels you make is determined by the skill of the person not by the editor in which they use!"-Michael Kyle
Ogel's City
2009-09-26, 1:51 PM #4
Thanks Ogel45, I'll keep this thread updated and let you know when there is something playable.

I was planning on having Rebel soldiers assisting you throughout, but that would require MotS, and I wanted to have this as a JK level... so I have to decide if I should switch to MotS or change it up a bit, maybe give the player a Jedi sidekick and use a friendly AI cog that Zero posted on Massassi.... decisions decisions
2009-09-26, 2:49 PM #5
Strange first problem...

The opening room, supposed to be Kyle's room, has suddenly refused to accept a collision box... I set it, it takes it, but as soon as I go to save the JKL, it takes the collision flag off. Anyone know why that might be happening?
2009-09-26, 3:52 PM #6
Collision Box? Do you mean your floor isn't staying flagged? Is the room a 3do?
2009-09-26, 4:59 PM #7
No, I mean the sector flag. Basically it means you can't step in to the sector and if you start the player in it he can't move.

Maybe I pressed a button and made it a 3do? Not sure...
2009-09-26, 5:21 PM #8
That flag is borked. Don't use it.
2009-09-26, 5:22 PM #9
[Edit: NM listen to JM]

2009-09-26, 5:59 PM #10
Well... the problem is that the other sectors have it flagged, and if it isn't flagged I get the problems described before. The flag shows up as 1000.
2009-09-27, 9:06 AM #11
Alright I actually checked it, the sector flag is "Has Collide Box", all sectors have it except the first room I made, it's refusing to keep it checked whenever I save the JKL.

Edit: I think I figured it out. In cleaving the room up to add some lights up top I guess I made some non-convex surfaces, and it was causing problems. Consistency checker is pretty helpful.

↑ Up to the top!