Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → PJNS
PJNS
2010-04-12, 8:05 PM #1
I just made a breakthrough in my personal editing experience, this is actually nothing new and probably everyone here in the Forums knows how to do it, but I acted like a little kid when I discovered this texturing technique with the help of JKpaint options. I noticed that FastGamerr used this type of modifcation, but I was baffled as hell and I never bothered to ask.

Notice: this is only a small test level. But will be used in PJNS.
Attachment: 23768/jsht.jpg (139,638 bytes)
Attachment: 23769/JSHOT001.jpg (144,610 bytes)
He who controls the spice controls the universe-
2010-04-12, 8:22 PM #2
omg you made it transparent you sir are a master of wall flags and MAT editors.

>_>

But yeah that's a pretty basic technique.

*cue Emon's "omg how did I not know this, would have saved me so much time"*

2010-04-12, 9:07 PM #3
LOL!:D thanks I knew that this was probably old school, but I said something similar to what Emon said as well. Now I have to go back and introduce it to a couple of places in the last levels.
2010-04-12, 10:21 PM #4
Originally posted by The MAZZTer:

*cue Emon's "omg how did I not know this, would have saved me so much time"*

Goit? :)
2010-04-14, 6:56 AM #5
The newer version of Mat16 always botched those textures so I didn't get to abuse them as much as I meant to (I got the tip to downgrade Mat16 from Xzero about a month before TODOA was released).

Good stuff.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2010-04-14, 2:12 PM #6
From days (the days being, as it happens, quite a number of years ago) of trying to learn editing JK, isn't this how you basically make glass? Just set a transparency value? Except of a glass texture, you put some other texture? Or I mixing **** up?
幻術
2010-04-14, 2:15 PM #7
Yeah it's how you make grating. He's just using a different texture...
DO NOT WANT.
2010-05-05, 7:00 AM #8
An almost finished product of the grating I discovered that I created in project Nar. Lighting is not worked with yet in this area.
Attachment: 23856/JSHOT000.jpg (116,020 bytes)
2010-05-16, 10:38 PM #9
This is just a view of a Docking Hangar in Level 3 that was done last year. Im going to change the mipmap distance and change the sky texture to a different night sky, this one just sucks. So anyway Im just showing the fruits of my labor as Im working with this ancient game called "JediKnight Dark Forces". :D
Attachment: 23898/prjctNar3.jpg (252,496 bytes)
2010-05-17, 1:08 PM #10
imo that scale is really big (wide and long) and there's a lot of empty space. you should definitely try to get some combat in there and see how it feels
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2010-05-17, 6:05 PM #11
There will be combat in there allright, not too many ai placements, but some sneaky ones. Actually I've changed the surroundings a little bit since then when I had a snapshot of it. Im also thinking of placing a non-JK default space vessel of some sort to fill a little bit of space... maybe.
2010-05-19, 7:16 PM #12
Flag the ceiling as a sky.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2010-05-19, 8:13 PM #13
Actually I did already, it appears as if its not flagged from the looks of the screenshot. I used a custom nighttime sky texture that didnt workout to well. Im changing it anyway.
2010-05-19, 8:33 PM #14
For stars, use the other sky flag. On makes it look far away, the other makes it a flat plain. The flat plain looks good for clouds, not stars.
2010-05-20, 4:41 PM #15
Im going to try another custom texture and use your suggestion anyway (to JM).
2010-05-20, 9:58 PM #16
I adjusted the mip map in the header dialogue and tried another custom star texture that I obtained from google somewhere. This might do it.
Attachment: 23912/stellara_2.jpg (82,346 bytes)
Attachment: 23913/JSHOT000.jpg (263,232 bytes)
2010-05-20, 10:45 PM #17
[http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/346/jshot000.jpg]

PS, I just fired up JK for the first time in awhile. I love JK.
2010-05-21, 6:45 AM #18
You See no matter how old this game is we cannot resist its sweet seduction and its grand memories that we want to relive again and again. If you hang around here long enough this level pack will be done this summer, it wont be as good as TODOA, but its better than my older projects.
2010-05-21, 8:46 PM #19
its not bad looking at all, i like it.

Remember some rules when using translucent grate textures:

Make them high res: JK doesnt have a nice clean border when a mat goes from 100% to 0% opacity, it blurs the pixel like Guassian, (hence flare in effects in JK are possible, though it looks a tad square and weird), so go for 256x256 (or 512x512?) textures to allow less blurring.

Use Multiply/Screen Masks: In photoshop, create a seperate layer, a solid black and white image of what is visible and what is not above the actual texture. The metal/diffuse texture may still have the odd amount of pixels that turn black in 16bit that will create tiny holes in the final texture...
... so use the black and white mask as 2 layers on top. 1st one use as a screen layer at about 2-5% to negate any black holes, and then on top of this a multiply level to keep the visible borders correct
:tfti:
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2010-05-21, 10:20 PM #20
:tfti:I appreciate the information Ruthven. This bit of information is definitley what i have been waiting for, very helpful and logically stated. I should of consulted you earlier for alot of difficulties I faced with this monster that I created. Can I pm you with upcoming questions later on?:downs:

p.s. Ive Seen your work in the HUB, great editing skills.
2010-05-22, 10:45 AM #21
Looking great!

There's a rather nifty ship in Elmo's Star Wars that could very well fit that rather large space. I think it was called a Muurian transport. Perhaps lower the floor on the part where the ship's going to be placed.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2010-05-22, 3:55 PM #22
sure feel free to PM me, i check massassi every day or so, bare in mind i'm a tad rusty and no longer have access to JK editing tools since getting a new computer
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2010-05-23, 9:33 AM #23
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Looking great!

There's a rather nifty ship in Elmo's Star Wars that could very well fit that rather large space. I think it was called a Muurian transport. Perhaps lower the floor on the part where the ship's going to be placed.

:tfti: A huge Thanks Fast G! I noticed that Elmo made a crawling text and I bet it functions better than mine, Im not sure if I want to do mine all over again (uh oh I just spoiled it!) and the space ship will definitely work well in my project.

Thanks Bud!
2010-05-24, 9:33 AM #24
Originally posted by Ruthven:
its not bad looking at all, i like it.

Remember some rules when using translucent grate textures:

Make them high res: JK doesnt have a nice clean border when a mat goes from 100% to 0% opacity, it blurs the pixel like Guassian, (hence flare in effects in JK are possible, though it looks a tad square and weird), so go for 256x256 (or 512x512?) textures to allow less blurring.

Use Multiply/Screen Masks: In photoshop, create a seperate layer, a solid black and white image of what is visible and what is not above the actual texture. The metal/diffuse texture may still have the odd amount of pixels that turn black in 16bit that will create tiny holes in the final texture...
... so use the black and white mask as 2 layers on top. 1st one use as a screen layer at about 2-5% to negate any black holes, and then on top of this a multiply level to keep the visible borders correct
:tfti:

You can define the color in which to cut as transparent in mat 16 .9, too. This can be used to remove the black-color on transparent edges.

You set the number (let's say, 25) and anything below 25,25,25 will be transparent. I did this for my lightsaber textures in GlowSaberX (5 values darker than the saber blade) and it makes the transition from color to transparent far less obvious (instead of turning black on edges, it'll change the color used for transparent - in the case of say, a blue lightsaber, it would fade to blue.) The best option is to color the back of the texture with the same color, but darker, and set the transparent color/threshold to the highest value of them, and it should make everything below transparent. Tada, no black edge. :D
2010-05-28, 9:26 PM #25
I was looking at a window that divided an office and an automotive shop not too long ago and I was wondering if I could create a texture in JK that would resemble sort of a thing. I took the famous "default" texture and altered it a little bit on photoshop and flagged it transparent, and threw it in my test level and tweaked the texture coordinates and it turned out like this:
Attachment: 23938/grdglass.jpg (196,133 bytes)
Attachment: 23939/reinforced-glass.jpg (74,773 bytes)
2010-05-30, 8:27 PM #26
i just realized. Project Nar Shaddaa's acronym is PJNS, right? wrong.

Project Nar Shaddaa. PNS. Penis.

Y'all posting in a troll thread :eng101:

Oh, and I rather like that glass.
DO NOT WANT.
2010-05-31, 8:19 AM #27
lol. You crack me up Mr. Zellonardo. Glad you like my "simple little texture modification".:D
2010-05-31, 9:43 AM #28
if only JK had shader support, or a way to fake that wavy fogginess on the real glass. :saddowns:
DO NOT WANT.
2010-05-31, 11:41 AM #29
Multi-celled mat. One cell per viewing angle. Animate texture based on viewing angle in cog.
2010-05-31, 11:55 AM #30
I see what you mean, that might not be a bad idea. I could experiment on that since I have created animating textures before. It was an existing 8-bit mat file that I altered a little bit and gave it animation frames.

would you use the basic surface animation cog. or a custom made cog file?
2010-05-31, 2:10 PM #31
No LA cog animates a texture based on viewing angle.
2010-06-01, 4:55 PM #32
Here's that nifty space ship thats called the Murrian Freighter that FGR lead me to. I placed it another location besides the Freight Hanger. Thanks Fast G.
Attachment: 23960/JSHOT.jpg (530,341 bytes)
2010-06-01, 6:10 PM #33
Looks nice 'n' moody.
2010-06-01, 6:22 PM #34
I like what i see. :)
DO NOT WANT.
2010-06-01, 7:22 PM #35
Thanx guys. Its getting there.
2010-06-01, 11:11 PM #36
In more detail: It looks seedy, like I don't know what's waiting in what patch of shadow, and also really open/lofty, like if I don't watch my footing I'll fall into the abyss.
2010-06-02, 12:30 AM #37
Dan.. you are a million times better at lighting than me.. thats my biggest headache.. and yours looks excellent.. nice job.
2010-06-02, 6:30 AM #38
Haha Thanks! :) The Lighting is most of the time my biggest challenge as well. I,ll goof around with it and tweak with it again and again till it looks right. I also use the thing lights to in some locations such as a direct illumination to cast shadows on 3do's, but sometimes those are a headache to, if I use too many or they are to close they cause a defect in your lights and shadows.

Maybe saberopus is right about that last scene, I may have to illuminate that landing pad just a little bit brighter. Im actually using things lights as well as surface lighting in that Area.
2010-06-02, 8:16 AM #39
Yeah... I use thing lights some to.. But they never cast shadows on 3dos for some reason... I've always had that problem... My 3dos are always fully lit
2010-06-02, 2:26 PM #40
check the ambiance lighting in your sector area, make the parameters from 5 to .01 being much darker. I usually set the ambiance around .25 .30 or .50 depending on how much quantity of light that is being used.

Try this for size, I used this already in one place but I might use this function in alot more places.

http://www.jkhub.net/library/index.php/Resources:Dynamic_lighting_controller

↑ Up to the top!