Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → Some day something will happen
Some day something will happen
2010-04-29, 2:54 AM #1
In the meantime, here's the same crap I was working on 2 years ago. Opening this thread in the hopes that I'll have time to add stuff over the summer.

Fill thread with suggestions on what to use this editor for.
Attachment: 23835/editor.jpg (85,411 bytes)
2010-04-29, 4:44 AM #2
neat, I think it should be used to make 3d models!
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-04-29, 1:53 PM #3
but its a level editor
2010-04-29, 3:42 PM #4
Interesting Tie fighter map.

On a serious note, what game? If it's for JK then it will rarely get used (I'd use it though...)
2010-04-30, 7:14 AM #5
Originally posted by zanardi:
what game?

that is a good question. the question i am asking, in fact!
2010-04-30, 11:12 AM #6
Can it do anything interesting?
2010-04-30, 2:21 PM #7
It looks capable of layers. That's interesting. Sorta.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2010-04-30, 2:31 PM #8
Originally posted by JM:
Can it do anything interesting?

nothing as interesting as what your mom can do
2010-04-30, 3:10 PM #9
My mom is not the subject of this thread.

Does your program do anything interesting?
2010-04-30, 3:25 PM #10
no, but I'm sure your fork will
2010-04-30, 3:38 PM #11
So it does nothing interesting?
2010-04-30, 3:51 PM #12
no, jm. it doesn't write two-line patches for angelscript, sort letters or plant a lawn in its living room.
2010-04-30, 4:02 PM #13
So we are clear, then, that it does nothing at all interesting?
2010-04-30, 4:19 PM #14
Tools don't really do anything interesting. It's how they are used..
2010-04-30, 5:48 PM #15
Originally posted by JM:
So we are clear, then, that it does nothing at all interesting?
here's an interesting idea, jm: get a life and quit being a tool in my showcase threads.
2010-04-30, 6:10 PM #16
Any ideas when it comes to making terrain (easily)?

edit: that's an impulsive question. Is there an intro of your wonderful little program?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2010-05-01, 2:57 AM #17
Originally posted by zanardi:
Tools don't really do anything interesting. It's how they are used..

Some tools do interesting stuff... Like ratchets. They spin one direction with a little clicky sound... then they don't spin the other way... until you push that little button! HA!
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2010-05-01, 7:00 AM #18
The mechanics of a bobble head would keep your attention for hours, huh.. lol ;)

Anyway hey guys this isn't the general discussion board
2010-05-04, 2:09 PM #19
A sort of terrain system would be great. A floor surface cleaved several times into a bunch of triangles and the vertices being lifted based on a greyscale height map should do the trick. If it's for JK, that might end with major lag if it's too detailed, but for anything else it'd work nicely.

Integrate something like the lighter (but with multiple light bouncing - probably by creating new lights at points of impact and scaling the radius) for GI, and maybe automatically backup the map so that if mistakes are made or you want to change the map, it can be reversed. That's for JK again, of course. Would give some really sexy lighting.

Though to be honest, if you're making an entirely new editor you may as well make a new engine with it.

That way I can be your shader editor.... hehe
2010-05-04, 3:02 PM #20
Does it support any sort of plugins?
2010-05-05, 7:43 PM #21
:awesome: Im really impressed Jonc. If I didnt know any better I would say that you have some real programming skills. You might put zeq macaw to shame. only suggestions I have is if you could implement an auto architectural create feature like a complicated dome or multi faceted polygons. I guess xzero already mentioned something like that.

Another feature that would be useful, like how to remove the beligerent and annoying JM permenantly from Massassi completely.

Anyway I cant wait to use this. Awesome stuff.
He who controls the spice controls the universe-
2010-05-05, 8:20 PM #22
Quote:
Another feature that would be useful, like how to remove the beligerent and annoying JM permenantly from Massassi completely.
Look for 'UserCP' at the top of this page; click it. On the left hand column, find 'Edit Ignore List'.
2010-05-05, 8:43 PM #23
Thank you I'll do that so I dont have to see you bash someones work that took alot of skill and effort.
He who controls the spice controls the universe-
2010-05-06, 12:15 AM #24
Originally posted by Xzero:
Though to be honest, if you're making an entirely new editor you may as well make a new engine with it.

hehe.. he tried this once..
2010-05-06, 6:59 AM #25
I want to see smoothing groups in quake/JED(even if it ends up being really fake)! That would make me smile and be awesome
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2010-05-06, 2:57 PM #26
In JK, 3dos are vertex-shaded. Each piece of the mesh behaves as a smoothing group.

In quake through quake 3; the same. Tools like milkshape implement smoothing groups by duplicating border verticies.

Next request.
2010-05-06, 5:22 PM #27
I'm guessing that because I'm not sure what you're really asking us for, and feel like I don't know enough about the program, from what you've told us (nothing) that I'm not part of the intended audience you're asking for input?
2010-05-06, 6:07 PM #28
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Any ideas when it comes to making terrain (easily)?
A lot! I like the way Crysis does it. When I have free time I want to toy around with making terrain 'just' using voxels and 3D textures, and see what kind of performance I can get with either marching cubes or modern volume rendering techniques. Something probably won't happen for at least a couple of weeks, because I'm working, renovating a bathroom and getting married.

Quote:
edit: that's an impulsive question. Is there an intro of your wonderful little program?
yeah, a really old one I posted on youtube the last time I made this thread.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6350032862902006483&hl=en#
It basically still works the same way.

Originally posted by RingMaster481:
Does it support any sort of plugins?
it's written in C#. Plugin support is p much a one-liner, and the editor is pretty much a huge collection of plugins already.

Originally posted by Darth Dan:
only suggestions I have is if you could implement an auto architectural create feature like a complicated dome or multi faceted polygons.
there's already an interface for shapes (I sure as hell didn't make that sphere manually,) and the next thing I add is lofting (Lofting Extrude.) After that, patches.

Originally posted by saberopus:
I'm guessing that because I'm not sure what you're really asking us for, and feel like I don't know enough about the program, from what you've told us (nothing) that I'm not part of the intended audience you're asking for input?
It's basically JED. Only faster and it doesn't crash as much.
2010-05-06, 6:57 PM #29
Originally posted by Jon`C:
it's written in C#. Plugin support is p much a one-liner, and the editor is pretty much a huge collection of plugins already.

Enlighten me plz, I've found doing plugin stuff in .NET is harder than unmanaged C.

The only way I know of is to make an interface class, then you load your plugin dlls and look for classes there in that use that interface, then create instances and cast them so you can use them.

But wait, if you recompile your EXE, the DLLs classes won't cast to your interface since it has changed, until you recompile every single plugin. To avoid this now I have to split the interface off into it's own DLL. I put the minimal amount of code in there and try not to modify or recompile it if I need to. Now the plugins can depend on the DLL instead of the main EXE. But plugins need to be able to callback to the EXE. So I make another interface to inherit from on the EXE side so the plugins can be passed an object of the interface type to communicate with.

Is there some sort of standard .NET interface that I could use that would be suitable instead for all of this and avoid all these problems? The only other solution I can think of is to use Reflecion to call hardcoded methods on plugins, but that's even worse... The DLL method also ensures plugins can't muck about with the program internals too easily.

Or am I missing some stupid simple solution?

2010-05-06, 7:40 PM #30
Originally posted by The MAZZTer:
Or am I missing some stupid simple solution?
Yeah, make people distribute their plugins in C# source code and compile it all at run-time.
2010-05-07, 6:19 AM #31
Use the Managed Extensibility Framework in .NET 4.0.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-05-07, 7:55 AM #32
Originally posted by JM:
In JK, 3dos are vertex-shaded. Each piece of the mesh behaves as a smoothing group.

In quake through quake 3; the same. Tools like milkshape implement smoothing groups by duplicating border verticies.

Next request.

How did you get it to work? Everything I saw in JK had pointy edges EDIT and by points edges I mean any kind of sphere/cylinder like pipes with 8+ sides as an example)
2010-05-07, 8:00 AM #33
also last ps, the only smoothing groups I've ever used were in 3dsmax, I missed the hammer boat and unreal doesn't have it
2010-05-07, 12:45 PM #34
Originally posted by Gettleburger:
How did you get it to work? Everything I saw in JK had pointy edges EDIT and by points edges I mean any kind of sphere/cylinder like pipes with 8+ sides as an example)

It only works for 3dos/dynamic lights.
2010-05-12, 8:50 AM #35
i used to split my models along the borders to attain the smoothing group i wanted, by a tiny amount of jku's.

Wasn't ideal, but it got the job done.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2010-05-16, 10:06 AM #36
Could it be used as a general purpose editor? Use it for building geometry, then write plugins to handle a specific engine's entities, scripting, etc. I'd be interested in that, as I'm working on a project where I need some kind of editor and I don't really want to bother writing my own right now.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-05-16, 1:35 PM #37
sure, why not.
2010-05-16, 2:47 PM #38
that's passion

↑ Up to the top!