Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → First helmet cam run
First helmet cam run
2010-06-27, 10:27 AM #1
Got to use my helmet camera at our race this weekend. Not a very good display of my skills but I was having a few mechanical issues. The track is called circleville raceway park just south of Columbus Ohio, 7/10 of a mile. We average about 54mph

"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-06-27, 10:50 AM #2
awesome Dude! reminds me of this
Attachment: 24042/mario-kart-arcade-gp.jpg (67,090 bytes)
He who controls the spice controls the universe-
2010-06-27, 10:55 AM #3
no.... lol
2010-06-27, 1:39 PM #4
yeah it does
2010-06-27, 1:40 PM #5
Awesome. But I want to slap #16 upside the head.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2010-06-27, 1:59 PM #6
Yeah he's hard to get around, I managed to in the 2nd heat but of course my camera didn't record that race for some reason :(
2010-06-27, 2:06 PM #7
Originally posted by saberopus:
yeah it does

Yeah, it really does. Nothing wrong with that though. Kart racing seems like a great compromise between speed, fun and not being horribly dangerous.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-06-27, 2:40 PM #8
That and it's really the best bang for your buck if you wanna go fast and race in a competitive atmosphere. It's really a great family sport too.
2010-06-28, 7:48 AM #9
I had a lot of fun watching that, helmet cams are a blast. Post more.

I want to see Happydud helmet cam a run through a city.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2010-06-28, 10:51 AM #10
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I had a lot of fun watching that, helmet cams are a blast. Post more.

I want to see Happydud helmet cam a run through a city.

Next race is 2 weeks so I'll definitely have more. Our street race in august will be a fun one to capture on video.

And that would totally be possible and sweet if happydud did that.
2010-06-28, 12:23 PM #11
Originally posted by Darth Dan:
awesome Dude! reminds me of this

Originally posted by Freelancer:
Awesome. But I want to slap #16 upside the head.

Yeah I kept wanting you to shoot a turtle shell at #16. :P

It was definitely cool though and I was rooting for you the whole way! Question though, do they not have "blocking" rules in kart division racing? It seems like there were a few times where you clearly had the speed on him and he wasn't allowing you to pass.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2010-06-28, 1:21 PM #12
Good question. There are a couple rules to passing. If your defending your position your are allowed to "zig" but you cannot "zag" which is to say, you can make 1 move.

If you are going for an overtake, you must have at least your front tires up to the next karts steering wheel. Lets say I had my front wheels to his rear wheels and I attempt to make the pass but if he keeps the racing line and we crash in the corner, it's my fault. That's why I backed off a couple of times. We don't have mirrors so you cannot see what is going on behind you.

#16 is actually a very talented driver and mechanic, he's just getting old :P In all fairness I didn't set myself up very good because I should have been able to get around him earlier in the race. Gotta give him credit because he has won 7 championships, and I owe him everything because he got me into the sport :)
2010-06-28, 2:17 PM #13
that actually looks like a ton of fun! but please tell me you dress up like Mario for races.. :awesome:
2010-07-02, 6:39 PM #14
Originally posted by ELITE WARRIOR:
that actually looks like a ton of fun! but please tell me you dress up like Mario for races.. :awesome:

Im a little late but Elite Warrior wins this thread....lol.
He who controls the spice controls the universe-
2010-07-03, 5:42 AM #15
That looks like a lot of fun. We have a pretty decent go-kart track near my house. It's like 1.5 miles & they're fast enough to have a good time (nothing like what you're doing there). I like to make the kids fly off in to the grass but they keep kicking me out for some odd reason.

There are some awesome downhill mountain biking helmet cam videos on YouTube.
? :)
2010-07-03, 12:16 PM #16
Really cool! :) You should post some pics of you in full gear (helmet and all) next to your the kart.
幻術
2010-07-28, 6:28 AM #17
Posted another couple races, this one was really fun

2010-08-18, 7:06 AM #18
We had our annual street race last weekend. Where they close the streets, line them with hay bails. A lot of fun and scary at the same time. I missed qualifying so I had to start at the back of the pack in 12th but I was able to make it up to 5th.

2010-08-18, 4:50 PM #19
That's way cool. Koobie is right, a pic of you and the kart is needed.

What kind of engine is used in your kart? Specs?

There's a spiffy indoor track around here that I've been wanting to try, but I can't get enough friends together on the same day to warrant a trip.
2010-08-19, 10:06 AM #20
Thanks Steven, yeah I'm working on getting a pic.. I need a new suit so you might have to wait :p

The engines my class runs are called the Yamaha KT-100 (100cc) 2-cycle (air cooled, engine runs at temps of 450 degrees, 2 inches from the seat which can get hot) 110 octane leaded fuel, 8 ounces of oil/castor per gallon. In the street race I had to use a "can" exhaust which limits horse power to right around 12-13. Though the class I usually race in, we use a "pipe" exhaust or otherwise known as an expansion chamber and that gives us right around 18-20 HP. The crank is connected to a centrifugal clutch system, they vary in manufacture and construction but mine is a 3 disc, 6 spring wet clutch that engages at 10,200 RPMs. Max revs is about 15,200 RPMs (250 revolutions per second). With my current gear ratio setup I can probably hit 75 MPH, and when the tires are warmed up the cornering speeds are impressive too.

Thanks for watching!
2010-08-19, 3:36 PM #21
What kind of fuel delivery system does it utilize? I notice the tank on the right side there. What does the braking system look like?

Also, not to nitpick or criticize, but your lines might need work. Your turns aren't smooth. It looks like you're fifty-pencing it in many of the turns, though I don't know the course layout or any particulars of your kart or karts in general. That must just be how the karts are. It could also be the bouncy helmet cam and my old age, but whatever. Just a thought.
2010-08-19, 5:18 PM #22
Walbro carb, the fuel tank actually sits between your legs. The breaking system I have is just a rear brake disc on the live rear axle. 2 piston, slotted vented (probably 10") rotor, and master cylinder.

I'm not really sure I understand.. or which video your referring to but the street course is the 2nd time I've run that, and they configured it differently. Not to mention if you touch a hay bail your guaranteed to break something, like spindle or axle, I'm just doing it for fun so yeah I ran a little conservatively and picked my line cautiously.
2010-08-19, 6:07 PM #23
Oh, sorry. Fiftypencing means you make steering adjustments in turn, making your line look less like an arc and more like a fifty pence coin. I was referring to the last video, the street video. I understand your caution.

Also, it's weird hearing the engines rev so high without hearing a gear shift. It's almost unnatural.
2010-08-19, 6:42 PM #24
Yeah they are some noisey thangs, my next kart purchase with probably be an 80cc shifter
2010-08-19, 7:01 PM #25
You should try to get hold of an old Rotax 100cc engine (if you can swap it out and still meet requirements). Those things were badass. Properly tuned, you get 30+hp out of the puny beast.
2010-08-19, 7:34 PM #26
Rotax does manufacture engines for the TaG class, 125cc water cooled engines, but there are other motors that are preferred. Here are the tag karts at the same track last year turn 2

2010-08-19, 9:27 PM #27
Damn, that's a lot of hay bales.

↑ Up to the top!