Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → So, I self-published a book.
So, I self-published a book.
2013-11-28, 4:05 PM #1
Determined to find a way to survive her illness, Irina thrusts herself into a whirlpool of sexual fantasy, virtual combat, real fear, a promise of hope, and a conflict of wills where the winner walks away to become a god. This book will blow your mind. Literally.

You can read the first 30% of the $1.00 book for free here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/382708

幻術
2013-11-29, 1:50 PM #2
Stick to your guns, keep making stuff. I hope you get some sales.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-11-29, 5:52 PM #3
Thanks Tracer, though tbh I'm thinking of scrapping the entire thing; it's ****ing depressing. The plot, if simplified to extreme is: girl gets cancer, girls kills herself. I'm not feeling too happy about this right now. Peace.
幻術
2013-11-30, 1:33 AM #4
Grats, man!

On the other hand - after 12 years, I decided to scrap my final magnum opus (not gaming-related, btw) because after playing through Mass Effect 1 (and the first 1.5 hours of ME2) I realized that in the time that it has taken me to develop the whole project (to what was to be its finalized and mostly coherent structure), it's already been made! (Or rather, they're at least 60% too similar... too bad that I registered the URL for my project for 2 years) Alas!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-11-30, 3:51 PM #5
Thanks FGR. ;)

By the time I turned 27, I wanted to finish a book & get myself into better physical shape. I more or less managed, although this isn't the book I set out to write in the beginning (that one was about a political journalist caught in the rekindling of an intergalactic war).

Just going to write stories under my own name and try to make some pro sales... And host some RPG games...

Extatica Part 2 can wait until then. Though as depressing as it is, and with me not feeling happy about it and all, it's still one of the best things I'd ever written. Maybe there is something wrong with me, damn.

The main reason I bought JK2 again (on Steam) was to play TODOA. I'm yet to do so, but I'll make sure to let you know what I think when I will; I understand that you've completed two extremely sophisticated mods ("mods to end all mods" like you've said) for two extremely good video games, and that's impressive as ****; but please, please choose a newer engine. Or make something original for a newer engine, please. I can't even imagine having that much talent (texture work, scripting work, map, story), and not pushing the envelope by trying something you haven't tried before.

Yeah. Anyway. Just thought I'd mention.
幻術
2013-11-30, 3:54 PM #6
Also, re: magnum opus,

Ecclesiastes 1:9
New International Version (NIV)

What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
幻術
2013-11-30, 11:45 PM #7
Originally posted by Koobie:
Also, re: magnum opus,

Ecclesiastes 1:9
New International Version (NIV)

What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.

So true (and after all, that principle is a part of why I went through with TODOA and DXN to the end). I haven't completely abandoned the "magnum opus" (hard to get 12 years of planning out of one's mind) but currently it's de facto cancelled permanently.

At any rate, you've grasped one of the main tenets of writing that I've somehow avoided for most of my life (or at any rate, for the past few years): just keeping on writing and writing. So keep at it! Good luck, mate. [http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/smiley/smile.gif]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-12-04, 8:23 AM #8
good luck, mang. I started reading your book a lil bit and I'll check out more later.
2013-12-04, 2:47 PM #9
Haha, cheers, saberopus. Thanks for risking your dollar, much appreciated. :D

Sup FGR. Thanks man. Yeah, that's pretty much it... Have to do 1,000 words a day min, I can do like 300 if it's not raining.
幻術
2013-12-04, 3:06 PM #10
Also, anyone who doesn't want to risk a dollar, just send me a PM and I'll send you a copy for free. You can give me a $1.00 if you like it. Cuz Massassi. ;)
幻術
2013-12-05, 7:14 AM #11
You self publishing a book you have little faith in is still many steps ahead of others. Good work on the project, and best of luck for the future!
2013-12-05, 1:34 PM #12
I'm very self-conscious, I suppose; other people told me it wasn't depressing at all and that they were rather entertained, but I also know that I probably only bored / mildly annoyed others.

But I guess that's how it goes.

The problem with self-publishing is that there's no joy of knowing your ****'s good enough for an editor to pay hard cash for because they chose it over a hundred other submissions ... and the only way to get around that is to write everyday and to keep submitting stories until one of them sells. It's a lot like training a muscle; if I'd write at least 500 words a day every day starting from now, chances are that in 10 years I'd be a pretty good writer.

or starved to death

Thanks for the good wishes. :D Peace.
幻術
2013-12-15, 6:01 PM #13
Oooh!

I'd just gotten my first comment from a completely random dude who's a fan of the guy who did the cover art commission; he said he loved the book, read it in a night. William Gibson was mentioned. :) Makes me feel much better about the entire thing tbh. That fellow made a good point, though: what I'd written isn't really erotica. It's a cyberpunk novella ... with some sex in it.

It's up @ Smashwords for pay-how-much-you-want right now, by the way, so check it out if you've got an e-reader!
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/382708

Peace & love,
Koobie
幻術

↑ Up to the top!