Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → Strife
Strife
2014-02-13, 5:55 AM #1
deleted
no stories for Massassi
Koobie stop posting
lulz
幻術
2014-02-13, 2:53 PM #2
Do you find the picture and get inspired to write the poem, or do you write the poem and then add a fitting picture?
2014-02-14, 3:17 AM #3
Picture first (and music). Somebody posted the picture on G+, I was listening to Gramatik's album No Shortcuts, sort of couldn't resist.

Thanks for reading. :)
幻術
2014-02-14, 8:57 AM #4
For me, the image is a bit distracting. It's hard to assess the poem on its own merits when I'm drawn to the image, or am trying to figure out how they relate. I find myself interpreting the poem based on the image, not solely on its content. If that's your intent, some multimedia thing, that's cool, but I personally can get more into the text when it's not accompanied by an illustration. For poetry, at least.

I get that you're in some head-space that these words, that picture, and that song evoke for you. It seems like the odds that a reader is going to feel the same way about each of those three as you are probably low... I didn't even open the song, because ... I wasn't interested in it, in this context? What if I thought your poem was great, but the image below just turned me off, or the music had a completely different tone for me?

Just a thought.

As far as the poem goes, I'm good for the first three lines

Quote:
No shortcuts

A pirate flag

A thousand cuts

Then I get a little confused when I hit

Quote:
No lag

because I instantly think of video games, and I can't tell if this is about a pirate or a gamer.

Then I get thrown off even more by

Quote:
No nuts

because honestly the first thing I think is that "is this saying that... she has no testicles?" surprise, it's a girl we're talking about? If so, it seems a bit crass. I'm ok with a crass poem, but it doesn't seem to be echoed by the rest.

Quote:
She plays

This game of life

It's all the craze

This part works fine, technically, for me, except that 'game of life' is about as cliched as it gets. Unless you're going to play off that cliche, maybe there's a better way to phrase it. "It's all the craze" is a little weird, and this might be an English-as-second-language thing, but it sounds like it should be 'It's all the rage" which is an English idiom... if you're not going for that, perhaps just "It's a craze" or some other phrasing would work better.

Quote:
Her name is Strife

All these problems seem to stem from the fact that you've set up a very restrictive rhyme scheme, and your lines are so damn short that you don't have any room to elegantly maneuver into the words this scheme forces you to use. I would be interested to see another version of this poem that's more free verse or with looser rhyme. I bet it would be smoother.

Cheers! I hope you're ok w/ some feedback on this.
2014-02-15, 7:25 AM #5
Thanks a lot for saying what you think in detail / offering advise.

That's cool, but with verse I just write whatever comes, I don't make a concsious effort or take it seriously; I'd never studied it or tried to analyze it, I always do it for fun, unlike with prose, which I write not only for fun but also to get better​.

I did want to make an analogy with video games ... it made sense to me at the time.

Strife is a name of a video game as well, just FYI, a pretty cool game using the Doom engine. ;) I really like putting in little quirks for my own enjoyment. :)

Peace & love,
Koobie
幻術
2014-02-16, 3:40 PM #6
deleted
no stories for Massassi
Koobie stop posting
lulz
幻術
2014-02-16, 3:44 PM #7
deleted
no stories for Massassi