PDA

View Full Version : Add lightsaber to MP

Bror Jace
03-31-2002, 12:17 PM
Hi.
I made a new lightsaber for MultiPlayer, a white-silver one like Corran Horn's. But:
i can't add it wo the game, just replace another saber. And there is the second problem. When I replace e.g. the red saber, I still have the red light under my model, same with the other colors, but I want white glow. Do you know where to edit this? I don't know for sure, but after I checked all files I think it must be some RGB number.
Anyone who has more experience with Q3engine than me? Please help, either in adding or replacing a saber, because I want to make Corran!!

BoBtheImpaler
03-31-2002, 01:00 PM
My only thought to use something like Q3ase (you can find it in the Q3 Resources section on polycount.com), and fiddle around with the script on the shader. But I don't really know.

In fact, I was just wondering, since I'm really new to editing in the Q3 engine, how did you make your custom saber? I've always wanted a black one.

Bror Jace
03-31-2002, 03:59 PM
Well, I just took the .jpg and .tga files for the sabers from the assets0.pk3 and edited them with Photoshop.
After that I changed all entries I found for this sabers in the saber.shader file and ui.shader. The right (new) saber is shown in menu and ingame, but the blur and the glow on the floor has still the old color, and I don't know where I can change that!

[This message has been edited by Bror Jace (edited April 01, 2002).]

Acharjay
04-01-2002, 05:02 AM
Black doesn't glow, therefore it's impossible to have a black lightsaber.

Bror Jace
04-01-2002, 08:26 AM
http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif
Did anyone spoke of a black saber? I think there should not be a black saber, that's stupid.
I want a silver-white saber, like Corran Horn!

TIE_14
04-01-2002, 04:47 PM
What, black saber is out of the question, but grey isn't?
Isn't grey just light-black...?

-TIE

Bror Jace
04-01-2002, 05:32 PM
Nah, it's a white-silver one, so the blade is white, and just the glow is silver! And in the case of the textures silver=grey.

Have you read the book "I,Jedi"? Corran Horn has such a lightsaber, that's why I want it.

[This message has been edited by Bror Jace (edited April 01, 2002).]

Hell Raiser
04-01-2002, 06:38 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Hi.
When I replace e.g. the red saber, I still have the red light under my model, same with the other colors, but I want white glow. Do you know where to edit this?</font>

Did you check the _glow2.jpg's? I think thats what you want to change/replace to get the glow color right.

Blenny
04-01-2002, 11:47 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BoBtheImpaler:
In fact, I was just wondering, since I'm really new to editing in the Q3 engine, how did you make your custom saber? I've always wanted a black one. </font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Acharjay:
Black doesn't glow, therefore it's impossible to have a black lightsaber.</font>

It may well be technically impossible, but I think there WAS a lightsabre that was black with gold flecks in one of the Star Wars EU books. Just thought I'd point that out.

Bror Jace
04-02-2002, 03:39 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Did you check the _glow2.jpg's? I think thats what you want to change/replace to get the glow color right.</font>

Yep, I checked and changed them.
I edited the _line.jpg, the _glow2.jpg, and for menu the fx_, saber_, saber_..._glow and saber_..._glow2.

You can see the results in this thread. (http://forums.massassi.net/html/Forum17/HTML/000013.html)

Bror Jace
04-02-2002, 04:26 AM
Hm, ok,I tried a black Lasersword in the game, but it won't work because black is the transparency color.
Look at this:
http://www.uwg-oer-erkenschwick.de/SWJK2/shotblack.jpg

[This message has been edited by Bror Jace (edited April 02, 2002).]

Ka'nara Tannee
04-02-2002, 08:37 AM
Would making it Very Dark Grey not work?

So it looks black but technically isnt.

Cho`Koth
04-03-2002, 01:47 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Acharjay:
Black doesn't glow, therefore it's impossible to have a black lightsaber.</font>

...It's a VIDEO game, people...a video game of a FICTIONAL universe, quit being so literal. For all we know it could be VERY possible to have a black saber. What's that you say? There's no way for black to glow? You buy into the idea that a lightsaber is done with Crtstals, and there's no way to have a black Cyrstal?

Alright, well here's what I say...show me a working BLUE lightsaber, and I'll let you have your arguement...until such time...get off the guy's case and help him out, because it's JUST a game.

Bob, Bror, unfortunitally I knwo nothing of Q3 editing, or I would attempt to post something helpful, good luck on your quest, though. I hope to see screenies of the working saber(s).

-Cho

[This message has been edited by Cho`Koth (edited April 03, 2002).]

Bror Jace
04-03-2002, 04:15 AM
Errrm, the problem with the black is that black is the transparency color. and dark grey is 98% transparent. So the only thing I can do on this is a dark purple (violett) saber, which would look like black light.
But first I have to figure out how the glow and blur works!!!!!!!! This is tricky!