Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Shall i buy SWG?
Shall i buy SWG?
2003-12-06, 7:20 AM #1
Right now i would have enough money to buy it but i dont know if i would find it good and satisfying enough. So i'd like to ask your opinions.

Is it good?
Is it stable?
Is it laggy?
Are there any European servers?
Would it work well on my Celeron2200/GF4TI4600/512DDR/WINXP pc?
Is the community nice?
Is it possible to roleplay instead of powergaming?
Etc.

Thanks in advance

------------------
"Hass, alkoss, gyarapíts: s a haza fényre derûl!"

-Kölcsey Ferenc

[This message has been edited by Terra111 (edited December 06, 2003).]
2003-12-06, 7:25 AM #2
I'll answer your questions in order.

Sorta.
Sorta.
Yes.
Dunno.
Yes.
Sortan.
No.

------------------
The Matrix: Unplugged
2003-12-06, 7:25 AM #3
HAHAHAHAHA

------------------
Gamers forced into direct sun light for first time burst into flames.
2003-12-06, 7:27 AM #4
Nauree, thats getting very annoying and adds nothing to the thread at all.

Terra, ive been wondering the same things since i can get it for christmas if i want to. I know there are European servers and from what ive heard you can roleplay, and also the community is OK.

------------------
The opera, The Sands of Time, lasted only four minutes.

The Kansas, and Colorado State Boards of Education both mandate that children should not be taught, or lead to believe in the theory of evolution, Newton's theory of gravity, or the theory that germs cause disease
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2003-12-06, 7:29 AM #5
"Nauree, thats getting very annoying and adds nothing to the thread at all."

Stop reading it then.

Lets just say if you get SWG then you might as well get AC2 and Horizons.

------------------
2003-12-06, 7:46 AM #6
Thrawn definately got some of the answers wrong. I'm here to fix them [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

Is it good?
------------------
kinda... it's really pretty neat, but if you play it for too long it gets a bit boring. just play it every now and then.

Is it stable?
------------------
yes

Is it laggy?
------------------
not at all

------------------
no... not that I know of

------------------
probably

Is the community nice?
------------------
for the most part, yes. they just have a combined IQ of about -2

------------------
yes

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited December 06, 2003).]
2003-12-06, 7:55 AM #7
we got a rpg fanboy overhere.

------------------
2003-12-06, 7:57 AM #8
[http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
2003-12-06, 8:15 AM #9
Nauree, I don't like you.

------------------
2003-12-06, 8:15 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nauree:
Lets just say if you get SWG then you might as well get AC2 and Horizons.
</font>

Those lack one of the main reasons i want to get SWG; The SW universe.

Thanks for the other replies

------------------
"Hass, alkoss, gyarapíts: s a haza fényre derûl!"

-Kölcsey Ferenc

[This message has been edited by Terra111 (edited December 06, 2003).]
2003-12-06, 8:21 AM #11
Just make sure you have lots-o-RAM.
I just went from 384 to 78something and it made a huge difference in less lag.

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2003-12-06, 8:22 AM #12
I've never played SWG, but from experience with other MMORPG's I always found it hard to roleplay with the other 90% of the community who does not. Is SWG any exception?

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein
2003-12-06, 8:24 AM #13
kindof no... I've found it's better than some other games I've played, but of course there's a few out there who don't feel like roleplaying. I'm really not the right person to answer this sort of question though, since I'm usually not doing my roleplaying myself either [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]
I don't even know why I play online games. I usually wander around all by myself anyways... I might as well play singleplayer.

------------------

2003-12-06, 8:42 AM #14
It'll run on that system, and fairly decently too. I ran it on much worse for a time.

Opinions are just opinions though, and everyone will say differently. Personally it held my interest for only about 3-4 months(well, I guess a few more if you count the couple of months beta I played). Which actually is way longer than most other things I tried. Not nearly as long as AC did though. Pretty good compared to the 2 hours that it took Shadowbane to make me sick of it, about 2-3 days it took AC2, etc.
2003-12-06, 8:48 AM #15
Is it good?
Yes, if, as correction said, You dont get too into it, I mean, I just log on to my characther once a day for maybe 15-20 minutes, then get on with my life. The people that complain about the game play it 6 hours a day

Is it stable?
For the most part yes, theres still some proffesion bugs here and there

Is it laggy?
Not at all, except maybe at peak usage (Friday afternoon you'll get a second delay or so)

Yes, there are 2

Yes

Is the community nice?
Sort of, youll have idiots here and there, but those are all imperial anyway [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

Well.. yes, and no.. You can create a characther for role playing, but there arent enough role players around, and youll get your *** handed to you all the time if you dont at least go up a single proffsion

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2003-12-06, 9:23 AM #16
get KotOR [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
"Those who are able to work, and refuse the opportunity, should not expect society's support."
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2003-12-06, 9:42 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:
Is the community nice?
Sort of, youll have idiots here and there, but those are all imperial anyway [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

*hisss!! scratch*

------------------
2003-12-06, 12:10 PM #18
At this point in time I honestly can't recommend SWG to anyone. It's a mess....basically still in beta 6 months after release. Deep down there is a good game buried beneath all the bugs, lack of content and balancing issues.

I don't see the developers mining down to reach that good game until some time next year at the current rate.

------------------

Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2003-12-06, 12:25 PM #19
Don't forget that their idea of "fixing" something always involves making it a major pain in the *** to deal with.
2003-12-06, 1:51 PM #20
Stay the hell away from SWG. It sucks.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2003-12-06, 1:59 PM #21
It's so... empty. There's no personality in that game at all. Mission terminals could quite possibly be the worst idea in an RPG ever. Constant disconnects (which I guess was a reported problem with certain DSL routers, I don't know if it's been solved yet), repetitive "missions", and boring environments made me stop playing SWG a while ago. And after playing KotOR, there's no way I could go back.

------------------
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
2003-12-06, 2:25 PM #22
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/editorial/reviews/reviews.asp?pf_id=220541&popf_id=220541

As you can see here in the first you pages you will see more than half the reviews give a average and below score but mostly bellow.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Thrawn42689:
Nauree, I don't like you.</font>

That hurt my feelings extreamly bad.....ok im over it.

------------------
2003-12-06, 2:31 PM #23
I'll answer them one at a time.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Is it good?</font>

Absolutely not! As a MMORPG, it focuses almost entirely on powergaming. It also utterly fails to provide any sort of addictive element: it's honestly work, flat out.
As a Star Wars game it's sub-par, which is compounded by the fact that there is no space, no flight, and the vehicles move at slightly higher than walking speed and cannot be armed with weapons.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Is it stable?</font>

I would suggest no. SOE has demonstrated repeatedly that they are incompetent at managing a MMO title during the live/upkeep phase. If it's stable right now, I can guarantee that it won't be for long.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Is it laggy?</font>

All reports indicate 'yes'. Those who would argue that it isn't laggy likely don't have any experience with other MMORPGs.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Are there any European servers?</font>

No.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Would it work well on my Celeron2200/GF4TI4600/512DDR/WINXP pc?</font>

Yes and no. It'll work, but it looks pretty damn ugly unless you're running a 256 MB Radeon 9800 Pro.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Is the community nice?</font>

MMORPGs don't really have communities, since the community is actually the game. In that sense, it's as nice as any I suppose. That means it's riddled with powerlevelers, griefers, non-roleplayers, exploiters, and misguided SA goons. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Is it possible to roleplay instead of powergaming?</font>

No.
The game itself is built around powerleveling, because the designers initially listened to what the retarded powergamers had to say instead of trying to create a good game. If you try to roleplay, you'll just fall behind everybody else and the game won't be any fun.
For further information on this phenomenon, see: Asheron's Call, Anarchy Online and EverQuest.
2003-12-06, 2:37 PM #24
Id just like to say that, MMRPGS today=crap FPS today=going up. Examples MMRPG=Horizons, utter flaming crap pile off doom. You will have to destory you computer to uninstall it as it is evil and you cant uninstall evil. FPS=Call of Duty, best WW2 of all time. There are more FPSs coming out than MMRPGs. Example http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/deptpage.asp?wherefrom=coming soon&web_dept=PC+Games As you can see there are 23 new FPSs coming out and 18 RPGs coming out. Also Stragic Games are getting better too. As there are a whooping 24 Stragic Games coming out.

Edit: Look in the catagory option to find out amount of games.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nauree (edited December 06, 2003).]
2003-12-06, 2:56 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nauree:
Id just like to say that, MMRPGS today=crap FPS today=going up. Examples MMRPG=Horizons, utter flaming crap pile off doom. You will have to destory you computer to uninstall it as it is evil and you cant uninstall evil. FPS=Call of Duty, best WW2 of all time. There are more FPSs coming out than MMRPGs. Example http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/deptpage.asp?wherefrom=coming soon&web_dept=PC+Games As you can see there are 23 new FPSs coming out and 18 RPGs coming out. Also Stragic Games are getting better too. As there are a whooping 24 Stragic Games coming out.

Edit: Look in the catagory option to find out amount of games.

</font>

Err.. More doesnt = better

------------------
"It's OK for us to randomly attack people!"
-BV

o.0
2003-12-06, 3:00 PM #26
No but it mostly shows what most people are after these days and what the people want is usualy what makers work harder on.

------------------
2003-12-06, 3:03 PM #27
There are always more FPS games than RPG games. They're easier to make, for one thing.
2003-12-06, 3:08 PM #28
I'm very surprised people think it's laggy. You DO realize there's a difference between framerate and lag, right? Because I VERY rarely EVER get a ping over 100 on SWG... (or even 60, for that matter..)

------------------

2003-12-06, 3:22 PM #29
lag is also upcomeingly considered framerate lag these days also

------------------
2003-12-06, 3:24 PM #30
...but only by f00bs.

------------------
2003-12-06, 3:26 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Is_907:
get KotOR [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]</font>

Good advice.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2003-12-06, 3:39 PM #32
It was fun during beta, and the first week of launch. But after five months, I had seen enough.

Personally I don't feel it's worth the $15 a month, that's the US cost. Advancing up takes a lot of grinding, I had most of Carbineer trained, and up until I quit (that means as far as I know) the Carbineer profression had generally been ignored by the developers. They started making changes to the combat system that made it increasingly difficult to be motivated to continue playing as a Carbineer. I also had some tailoring skills trained, but I gave up on that because the xp was very very poor, and to add insult to injury it took quite a lot of experience to level up as a tailor.

The GCW (Galactic Civil War) was pretty non-existent, outside of Imperials and Rebels spamming DOT (Damage Over Time) attacks on one another so that when they died and cloned, they could gain a TEF (Temporary Enemy Flag) so they could deathblow their target. The battles were senseless and endless. Oh, and it's not the Galactic Empire... it's the Equal Opportunity Empire, aliens can join the Empire and climb up the food chain. Sure, there's a racial penalty when it comes to purchasing faction perks (Really one sided, and it's not due to continuity), but when you see your first Wookiee with his two Stormtrooper buddies, it's very apparent the penalties mean nothing.

I could go on and on, but there are people out there who enjoy the game. I would say it's a 50/50 chance you'll either enjoy it, or hate it. In my opinion, it's not very Star Warsy, and it'll take a lot more than a few speeders to get me to resubscribe.

Oh, and I do believe there are British servers in the works.

------------------
"And I listen for the whisper of your sweet insanity, while I formulate denials of your affect on me. You're a stranger, so what do I care. Vanish today, not the first time I hear, all the lies..."
"I'm praying for mayhem, I'm praying for tidal waves, I wanna see the ground give way, I wanna watch it all go down..."
2003-12-06, 3:40 PM #33
And yeah, get KotOR, much better purchase [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

*sigh* If only Bioware had done SWG...

------------------
"And I listen for the whisper of your sweet insanity, while I formulate denials of your affect on me. You're a stranger, so what do I care. Vanish today, not the first time I hear, all the lies..."
"I'm praying for mayhem, I'm praying for tidal waves, I wanna see the ground give way, I wanna watch it all go down..."
2003-12-06, 7:30 PM #34
I like it. I play about 10 hours a week. Usually all in one day.

I've never had lag. I've had RAM issues. You really need at least a gig of RAM in order to have everything run smoothly on full graphics. But never any server lag.

Crafting is a pain. Combat is fun most of the time.

With the new player cities there's more war in Star Wars. The pre-made cities like Mos Eisley and Anchorhead are devoid of anything resembling a war. They say there's battlefields but I've only seen one on Endor and no one was there.

It is fun, just dont bank on it being the best Star Wars game ever.

------------------
~amor sui~
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2003-12-06, 8:45 PM #35
Just to clarify a few things.

1) SWG does now have a couple of European servers.

2) I connect to SWG's east coast U.S. servers from Australia on a 56k modem and really, it's actually quite stable in most regards. I never get some of the problems I had with AC (running on spot yee!) and disconnects are rare for me. The last month has seen a bit of a decrease in this stability....but overall it's one of the few areas I think they have gotten -mostly- right so far.

I will add though that all servers still go down for maintenance for several hours each day....this is annoying (well for me, but not most U.S. players I bet).

My advice to everyone regarding SWG is to wait for now. I'm not kidding when I say it feels like a beta. They are still playing catch up right now and will be for a while yet I think. Remember though, MMORPG's aren't like normal games....one that sucks now could kick *** in a year....and vice versa [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------

Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian
Corrupting the kiddies since '97

[This message has been edited by Jaiph (edited December 07, 2003).]
2003-12-07, 2:40 AM #36
If you dont have the game, wait til the space expansion, thats what I say

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2003-12-07, 5:32 PM #37
Although, the longer you wait, the bigger those patches become. I play about 10 hours on the weekend and I don't mind. I decided that its more fun though if you play with some friends. I do and you get combat xp faster and such. And I play on a 28k connection and its not that laggy. And I had a big raid again'ts a rebel city the other day.

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve

↑ Up to the top!