Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsInteractive Story Board → Finding a Door
Finding a Door
2001-11-08, 5:46 AM #1
hey there. heres a new one. there are going to be two teams, so to speak, and they are on a quest to find a door that people think is made up. its legendary like many other things so they would think that right? anyway, you can have one or two characters, but if there are two you MUST have them on separate teams. we'll discuss whats behind the door when we reach it. ideally there will be 3 on each team, but we can expand, or take away from that. all of you must make a background story, like the one im about to place, about passing a test in their own land, and developing a special skill. you will all be called to the central area when you background is is finished. dont make your character too powerful. and dont be annoying. and PLEASE dont make it stupid. anyway on with the show.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(oh corsh*) John thought as he stepped into the clearing. There was no sound here. The trees gave no sign of having squirrels, or birds in them. In the centre the testing pillar rose up like a giant earthen finger, fighting its way to get out of some deep unimaginable grave.

He walked through the clearing, careful not to make a sound. His feeling of dread deepened, as he began up the pillar.

He had a growing sense that something was watching him from below. He forced himself not to look back, to focus completely on climbing the tower of moulded earth.

He cleared his thoughts, and as he reached the top he momentarily forgot where he was, and marveled at the extreme beauty of the place. He quickly recovered, and sat down.

Looking around he saw no sign of Hajhoth, the Judgment. This wasn’t good. He was mulling over, again, the lines he would say to it, when it appeared.

The books had described a giant bird, of immense proportions. This was an understatement. It was easily 1000 feet long, beak to tail feathers. He sat there gaping at it, and it rushed towards him.

When it passed over his head, he was almost knocked down to the ground by the wind that followed. He held his place though, and when the bird settled on the ground to look him in the eye, he had regained his composure.

“John Langdon, of Hentsolk, pray, how is our meeting?” asked the bird in a raspy squawking voice. John stood on the pillar, and recited his lines.

“We are met in honour, and in privilege,” he said, and bowed

“Hajhoth has made his decision.”

“Long it has been awaited.”

“You are ready for what lie beyond the forest. I warn you, keep your thoughts at bay when entering the caves.”

This wasn’t in the script. He had no idea what to say. “Pray, great one, what do you mean?”

“the caves have degraded farther than anyone can know. Keep them at bay, or you will surely, go mad. Beyond here you cannot rely on your books, and your teachings. All is changed. Now go, John of Hentsolk, you are ready.”

With this, the bird took flight, and the power of its wings, drove him across, the trees, and he landed at the end of the forest.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*corsh is a swear word of john's land, meaning roughly ****e.

there will be more later, but im tapped at the moment.

------------------
may the farce be with you.
2001-11-08, 8:54 AM #2
Sounds interesting, Ford, I just got some questions.

What, exactly, is this realm like? Or do we make up our own realm? If so, are these realms on the same planet, or even in the same universe? Or are they all in different universes, like in BftN?

What is the nature of this door, and why would anyone want to go looking for it?

You say there has to be a test in our character's background. Does it have to be an organized test that was planned to take place, like with John, or can it be a test that just happens?

------------------
Play epic RPGs such as Dark Exile, or duel in the Interdimensional Arena @ The High Citadel
Play epic RPGs such as Year Infinity, or duel in the Interdimensional Arena @ The High Citadel
2001-11-08, 10:08 AM #3
The door is a cenre of all knowledge. behind it lies nearly unlimited power. anything can and will happen if it is opened. anyway, i dont want to give too much away. noone in the universe knows what lies beyond it, even i am not sure what it is yet. but it will be good.

this realm, is just one universe, but you can have your character come from anywhere in it. most of the journey will occur only on te three central-most planets, which have yet to be named. mostly what they need to find are clues, leading them to the door. i suppose they can come from different universes, if part of their culture is interdimensional travel.

the test does not have to be planned. the character onl has to have a skill, or hav earned a title that allows him/her to do something special that most people cannot.

i hope that answers most of your questions. i hope to add some stuff to johns background soon.

------------------
2001-11-08, 4:04 PM #4
The silence in the catacombs was opressive. It muffled all sound, covering it with hundreds of years of dust.

Kayl stood in the center of a chamber, He was feeling cold, even underneath his robes. He had no idea where he was. Deep in the earth to be sure, somewhere in the vast maze of cellars and store rooms below the palace. Maybe even deeper, the rooms were hidden from all but the few who's duty it was to maintain them. He himself had been blindfolded.

Gradually he became aware of faint footsteps in the corridor outside. There was a pause and a hidden stone door grinded into the wall revealing an aging priest in long red robes of an order he didn't recognize. At his sides were two priestesses their faces veiled behind passive wooden masks.

"I apologize for the wait, but this is a matter you must be fully committed to. I have been told that you have great potential by your master..."

Kayl blanched at this. He didn't recognize the aging man, and his master hardly ever left his sight...

"I am ready."

The priest nodded slowly.

"I'm sure you think you are. But, will you give your life to the service of the one true God Akun? Do you embrace the teachings of the four prophets? Because if you wane under the trial you will not leave here alive." His voice was dead serious.

Kayl was beginning to feel a bit faint. They wouldn't actually kill him would they? Somehow the secretive nature of this order made him think they would...with effort he brought himself together and hardened his courage. He would not disgrace his family.

"I am ready" Even Kayl noticed his voice waver. The priest seemed unimpressed but gestured with his hand to follow him.

One of the priestesses came to his side and guided him gently by the elbow behind the priest, the other went to shut the door behind them. The sound gave a certain finality to the decision.

They seemed to wander for ages through the carved stone corridors in an ancient and solemn procession, the priest in the front and the priestesses on either side. Silent and attentive. He once glimpsed the scabbard of a sword through the folds of ones robes...

At length they arrived at a great wooden door built into the natural stone. On it were carved panels of unrecognizable symbols.

"Through these doors is your trial Kayl. There will be a pool of water, this is important, wash yourself in it. That is all. But I have to warn you once more. If you wane, you will die."

Kayl was dumbfounded, a pool of water? This must be part of the ceremony he thought. But why? How could he fail? His confidence restored he passed through into the room beyond as the priestesses heaved the doors open.

(Okay this is my start. I'll finish when I have time.)

------------------
"Rabbits will jump farther if you throw them..."
2001-11-08, 6:58 PM #5
Great start pengun. you really have a way with imagery.

The mountain loomed overhead like a sleeping giant. He began to climb, resting every so often so as not to wear himself out before he reached the caves.

The texture of the mountain was an odd one. The rock seemed spongy somehow, like it was a decaying piece of wood. Twice, the rock crumbled beneath his feet, almost tumbling him down. Hajhoth was right, things weren’t the same.

Fulton had told him that the rock had seemed impenetrable, untouched by the hands of time. Never had the mountain had never been used as a quarry, although it stone would make the strongest fortifications.
He was sitting eating his lunch, when h noticed a small animal crawling out from behind a rock.

“Hey there little guy,” he said. The creature came towards him and sniffed, then backed away. “Where’d you come from?” He watched the thing give him a wide berth, and go for his pouch.

“Hey! Get out of there!” it jumped back at he sound of his voice, bared its teeth. “Oh a fierce one.” He said laughing. Offering a piece of bread from his sandwich, “You hungry?” But it tensed, and ran away, disappearing behind a rock.

“Hey! Come back!” He got up and went after it, but when he got to the rock it had disappeared behind, it was nowhere to be found. “Hello?” He listened for it scurrying, but the wind was too high. He looked down to see its footprints, and noticed a relatively large hole at the base of the ledge. It looked big enough for a man to squirm through on his belly. This must be it. The cave.

Once inside, he shouldered his pack, which
he had pushed ahead of himself as he crawled though the hole. The cave seemed to have a luminescence of it own, as if the rock itself were glowing dimly. Giant arches rose up above him, too far for the eye to see. The great cavern was a hollowed out temple, a tribute to Keloph, god of might. Giant effigies of the deity were crumbling, the faces sagging, and limbs scattered on the floor.

He walked to the alter and took out a small container from his pack. He opened let lid, and placed a single stone on the alter.
At once the stone flew across the room, hitting the far wall with a dull thud. Something giggled in the air above him.

He cleared his head of all thoughts but one. (don’t think don’t think don’t think don’t think HI don’t think WHO ARE YOU don’t think)

“Who said that?” ha asked. He was feeling quite frightened. The high pitched voice was coming from inside his head. He was confused but he refused to get

(don’t think)

off track of what he was thinking.

(WE ASKED YOU FIRST)

“I am John of Hentsolk, I am here only to pass.” He said. The waver in his voice was slight, but there.

(WE DIDN’T ASK YOU WHAT YOU WERE HERE FOR)

“Who are you?”

(ONE QUESTION)

“Yes?”

(WHAT ARE YOU HERE FOR)

“But I already told you,” he said confused.

(DID YOU WE DIDN’T NOTICE)

“I am here only to make passage through these caverns.”

(YOU CANNOT PASS YOTES DOESN’T LIKE YOU)

“who is Yotes? What are you talking about? Who are you?”

(I AM YOTES) this deeper voice seemed to come from behind him. He turned around to see a humongous shimmering shape in front of him. He could see though it, but it was like there was heat waves caught inside a bottle shaped like some huge beast.

“Uh…I…I’m sorry. Yotes forgive me if I did anything to offend you. What can I do to make it up to you?”

(YOU CAN START BY GETTING OFF OF MY FOOT)

John jumped away, then twirled around to see if he was stepping on any other shimmering creatures.

(MUCH BETTER THANK YOU)

“who are you?” he asked again, his confidence slowly returning.
(
WE ARE THE LOST ONES ONCE WE WERE HAPPY BUT LATELY WEVE BEEN SAD YOU CAME AND WE THOUGHT WE COULD BE HAPPY AGAIN)

a shape swooped down in front of his face and hovered there.

(WILL YOU STAY WITH US AND MAKE US HAPPY)

“I cannot, I must pass through and pass the test. Wahhhhh….” He said as he was lifted into the air by Yotes.

(YOU AMUSE ME BUT DON’T PUSH YOU LUCK BUCKO)

“Yotes, and whoever the other one of you is, this place is dying. Could you not come with me on my journey?” Yotes put him down.

(OH WE COULD NEVER LEAVE OUR HOME WE WOULD BE VERY SAD IF WE LEFT AND WE DO NOT WISH TO BE SAD)

“This place is dying and you will with it if you do not come with me.”

(WE CANT WE ARE SORRY BUT NEITHER CAN YOU NOW)

John ran for the egress at the rear of the temple. The ground began to shake and the already crumbling walls and ceiling rained down on him in a shower of spongy rock.

(YOU CANNOT LEAVE US) the voices screamed after him. He was out the exit, and making his way through the labrynthian corridors now. He could hear Yotes lumbering behind, surprisingly swiftly or something its size.

There was a junction up ahead, but a boulder fell in front of one passage. He ran up the other, hoping agains hope that he cold get out in time. It was growing darker. The luminescence of the rock seemed to be fading, as if it knew he had betrayed it.

He tripped in a hole and came crashing down a steep incline, rolling over and over. He got up at the bottom, staggering, then continued his way out. His left leg hurt badly, but he knew he had to get out.

Up ahead he could see a pinprick of light. He ran towards it, knowing that any second the whole mountain could come crashing down on him.

The light grew to the size of a pea.

He could hear Yotes behind him, seeming to slow loosing its breath. He was thankful for this, because soon his lungs would give out as well.

A grapefruit.

The smaller creature whizzed by his ear at that moment, tyring to knock him off balance. He batted it away. There was a shriek and a thud as it hit the wall.

A large melon.

A section of the wall slid inwards just ahead of him. He scrambled over it, losing a shoe in the pile of soft rock.

A beach ball.

He could now hear another low rumbling noise, one that he couldn’t identify. He concentrated on that instead of the heavy footfalls of yotes behind him.

The hole was just ahead now, and when he reached it he realized what the rumbling noise was. Water, and lots of it.

He looked down to see a giant white river of water rushing past in a cleft in the mountain. To the left he could see the river stretching up the mountain but to almost the top. To the right there was nothing.

Behind him, Yotes let out a horrible raor. This made up johns mind. He would have to jump. He dove into the water and was swept away quickly. As he went over the waterfall, he thought of his family and how he had never told them he loved them enough.

He hit the water hard, sinking to the bottom of the hollow made by the fall. He kicked off the bottom and made his way to the surface. His lungs screamed for air, and he kicked harder and harder. When he finally broke surface and gasped, his lungs gratefully accepted the air.

“HO! GET THE BOY!” cried a familiar voice. “HES OVER THERE.”

He was graying out, he couldn’t see, and it was all he could do to stay afloat.

Suddenly he was being lifted by strong arms.
“Grab him! Get him on the boat!” This was the last thing he heard before he passed out.

When John awoke, he was greeted by the face of his mentor, Fulton.

“Wha…” he said groggily.

“Shhh…Don’t speak, Roken, you had a rough trip.” Fulton said.

“Roken? But I failed the test, I couldn’t keep the stone on the alter.”

“The rules have changed. The world is decaying, and so must the old ways. You escaped Yotes and Nadrek, and it looks like you did with you wits. You have earned your title and your Rokes.”

Fulton handed him the gloves, interlaced with silver wire. He slipped them on, and they fit perfectly, suited to his hand only.

“Your training must begin soon, or you must be sent away. We will start as soon as you regain your strength.”

“Roken John...” he said, as if hearing them made it more real. He had done it. He was finally a Roken, protector of all that is good and noble. Enemy to all that is evil. Preserver. Roken. Finally, a part of something. Roken. Servent of Keloph. Roken. Great. Roken.

whew there sorry for the long post. there is johns background. i will establish what a roken is exactly later. but its 1:00AM and i need to sleep. soo goodnight.

------------------
2001-11-09, 9:12 AM #6
Kayl took a moment to let his eyes adjust to the darkness, as the doors closed with a boom behind him.

The room was suprisingly unimpressive and small. It was square and the only decoration in it was two figures carved into the wall across from him.

What really caught his eyes though was the pool between the statues, it was a deep rectangle carved into the floor of the chamber and filled with shimmering clear water. The only source of light in the room was an oil burning lamp on the wall, and it reflected off the water creating erie flickering patterns of light on the walls.

Kayl approached the pool cautiously and looked over the edge into the waters. It seemed to have a horribly acrid smell, his eyes watered and his nose seared just being near it. This worried Kayl, it certainly wasn't water whatever the liquid was.

He sat down with his legs crossed in front of the pool and used one of the meditative techniques his master had taught him to analyze the situation. It was strange, he had been trained all these years for the clerical duties of a noble and now he was taking a test to join some secretive order he'd never heard of until he was met by the priest this morning.
But this test was a problem he had to deal with. Maybe it was a test of defiance? Could the liquid be poison? No, he thought remembering the sacred vow all priests took. It must be a test of my commitment...

With that he decided he would take the water. He braced himself and leaned over the pool, cupped his hands and plunged them in. Kayl's skin prickled in the liquid, but it did not feel painful. He raised his hands, and with a sturdying breath, splashed the liquid across his face.

The pain was unbearable, his skin began to burn with agony and it felt like he was being consumed by fire. His eyes blurred and watered. Finally he lost all his strength and splayed backwards with a pitiful scream.

The last thing he remembered before passing out, was seeing the emotionless features of the priestess's mask over him.

------------------
2001-11-11, 6:20 AM #7
good Job Pengun. this is going great so far. i would like to hear from some other people if the don mind. ill post to get some of this going forwards after peoples backgrounds are complete.
2001-11-13, 5:24 PM #8
is anyone playing attention to this one? or should we all just jump right in? do ou find it borig? pengun, i going to e-mail you. like right now. so ye then.
2001-11-15, 7:47 AM #9
Here's my bit, Ford. I just had to think of a character and then find the time to write this. I have another character after this one, BTW.

-----

Aull was twelve today. The age of manhood in his tribe. It was time for his rite of passage.

The rite of passage for each person in the tribes of the Jacorrian Plain was different for each person. For girls, it was menarche. For the boys, it was tailored to each personality.

For Aull, his was a test of perseverance.

He and his family stood on the east side of the Forest of Ninety Years. It was an enchanted forest, enchanted in a very unusual way.

Aull had only three things. A knife, his loincloth. . . and the white lily he clasped to his breast.

He entered the forest.

For ninety years, he travelled through the forest. At times he despaired, but he remained firm, the lily becoming the reminder of the focus of his life, the purpose for his existence. The lily stayed young and alive for the entire time, sustained by the mysterious power of love given form by the enchantment of the forest.

After ninety years, Aull finally passed out of the forest. His family was waiting. They had not aged.

And Aull returned to his youthful twelve-year-old form as soon as he egressed. For this was the enchantment of the forest. It took ninety years to pass through, but only a few days to go around. And Aull had persevered, stayed strong, despite moments of weakness.

His family cheered at his triumph. His mother came up and kissed him once on each cheek. His brothers and sisters shook his hand in the Jacorrian style. And his father put the Medallion of Godamen, the god of males, around his neck, signifying his coming of age!

They returned to the village, where a dozen or so twelve-year-old girls wearing Pendants of Godawe, the goddess of women, showing that they had had menarche and were of age, were lined up.

I was time for Aull to choose a wife. But he shook his head. None of these girls would do.

The chieftain of his tribe bade everyone be silent, and the surprised murmurs of everyone quieted down. "Aull," he addressed him, "you do not want any of these women for your wife?"

Aull nodded somberly. "Is there an older woman you desire?" An older woman, in Aull's culture, was defined as a woman five or more years older than the male. Such a woman could become Aull's wife only if both consented, as opposed to an equivalent-age wife, where only the male was required to consent. Aull shook his head.

The chieftain stared at him. "You do want a wife, do you not, Aull?" Aull nodded fervently. The chieftain nodded sagely. "A woman from another tribe, then?" Aull nodded, slowly this time.

"Yes, my chieftain."

"Then travel far and wide, young Aull, who is now old, and let not death stay your hand until you have won your wife."

-----

A few days later, Aull arrived in the village of the Reqans. He had refused all offers of friends or family to come with him, for if they had, they would know that he was going to the Reqans.

The Reqans were elves. And everyone Jacorrian knew that the gods generally frowned on marriages between humans and elves. Yet Aull's love was strong.

He presented himself to the chief of the elven village, Vgaslo.

"Welcome, Aull," Vgaslo greeted him. "What is it you seek in our village?"

Aull took a deep breath. "I seek a wife, Chief."

Everyone gasped. Vgaslo silenced them with a wave of his hand, but he looked troubled. "Whom, pray tell, do you seek?"

Aull hesitated. "Lily. Your daughter."

Everyone stared at the young human. Vgaslo laughed uproariously for a few moments, then realized that Aull was serious.

In honor, Vgaslo could not refuse Aull outright. So he thought.

Smiling, he asked his twelve-year-old elven daughter, who was standing next to him, "My dear, do you wish to marry this man?" thinking that she would come back with an emphatic, "No!" and that would be the end of the matter.

But Lily gazed enrapturedly at Aull. "Father," she said, "I love him. We have known each other for some time."

Vgaslo started. "Er. . ."

He then had every inch of Aull's body examined, to see if he was suitably healthy. He was in perfect health and had a wonderful physique. No luck there for the elven Reqan chief.

Then Vgaslo came up with an idea, which was certain to prevent this mating. He gathered his people together with Aull, as Lily stood beside him. "Aull," his voice boomed, "everyone knows of the Great Door of the Gods, the door behind which lies limitless knowledge. Discover this door, and Lily is yours."

For of course everyone knew that such a feat was impossible, even if this door existed.

But Aull nodded. "Yes, Chief."

-----

That night, before Aull left, he and Lily met secretly behind one of the huts. "Oh, Aull!" she said, flinging her arms around him. "I'm so worried - I may never see you again."

"You will," Aull promised, stroking her cheek tenderly. For a long moment they just held each other. Lily slid her hand down. "Aull," she said, "let us consecrate our love, now, tonight, before you go."

Aull smiled gently. "No, Lily, for if you became with child before we married, your father would kill me. No, it is best that we wait."

Lily smiled wistfully at him, a smile which he returned. Impulsively she leaned forward and kissed his cheek, sending uncontrollable shivers up his spine as her lips of cool flame emblazoned a white-hot scar upon his cheek. "Goodbye," she whispered, and she vanished.

-----

Now upon a time I know, in this country at God's knee,
How once, quite long ago, was driven an ancient need,
In that proud dart that pierced the heart of Satan,
For I too have succumbed to the same bait and
Have as of now welcomed this forbidden love that can never be -
Lily, Lily, my Lily.

Raven hair and raven eyes, you are indeed unto me
Haven that yet gives surprise onto my soul's greying lea.
For what is grey but that in day still will burst
And that is darking me so that I will durst
Come and go harking to this forbidden love that can never be -
Lily, Lily, my Lily.

Porcelain face, smooth and white, tempts me do the terribly
Forceful thing that would - not quite - be an extremely good deed.
For if in need I do the deed that's amiss,
The judgement will be swift; yet I'll have the kiss
As testament lift to this forbidden love that can never be -
Lily, Lily, my Lily.

Dark her eyes that will herd me into this dark gully;
Mark, indeed, mark my word, I understand fully
This dark presence that makes no sense but for pride
That damns my mirth so that I like to have died
Upon this earth for this forbidden love that can never be -
Lily, Lily, my Lily.

Dark her eyes that extract from within, out of me,
Dark soul, to be exact, as a hellish fee.
Forfeit my soul for one dark whole, chimaera,
As I'm bedlammed by intolerant era -
Though I be damned, I will have this forbidden love that can never be! -
Lily, Lily, my Lily.

So it is the petals that are, can, and will be
Know this, the soft metals of touch of death lily.
Her eyes black holes with lives and souls in the dark
To which I am compelled forever to hark,
As though I am bespelled by this forbidden love which can never be -
Lily, Lily, my Lily.

-"My Lily"

------------------
Play epic RPGs such as Dark Exile, or duel in the Interdimensional Arena @ The High Citadel
Play epic RPGs such as Year Infinity, or duel in the Interdimensional Arena @ The High Citadel
2001-11-15, 9:34 AM #10
wow. i really like this carachter, and go ahead and add another one. i really like your style of writing. i tend to be long winded, but yours is to the point but well written. good job
2001-11-15, 1:41 PM #11
Thanks, Ford. Actually, I didn't think it was that good, it was rather hurried, but I'll try and do better in this post. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

-----

Footsteps clanged on the metal deck of the Valiant. They came from black boots which belonged to a man in a navy blue uniform with a severe crew cut made out of his graying hair. The emblem of a spiral galaxy surrounded by twelve stars was on his right breast. The insignia of a four-star admiral adorned the left breast of the coat.

The Valiant was a spaceship. A War Shrike Class battle barge, Mark II. It was an old ship, but then, most of the Shrikes were. They were reliable ships, half a kilometer long, studded with weaponry and sensing equipment, and resembling ovoids in appearance. Heavy armor coated the ship, and the bridge and command center were located in the middle of the ship, to bring it out of immediate danger in the case of a battle, though video links brought images of the area outside the ship into the command hub.

Admiral Bajieb Sarkoln was a veteran of pirate skirmishes and alien incursions into the humanIntergalactic Federation. He believed in things behaving in a strict, orderly fashion and was displeased when they didn't. This was one of many reasons why he detested the Valiant's civilian passenger.

Jillion Raith was a woman in her early thirties. She wore an emerald cloak that matched her eyes over a pristine white dress. Her long red hair flamed its way down her back - and into men's hearts. She was a scientist and her clothes were cut in the manner of such.

As all men know, in this kingdom of star sea, scientists and military types do not get along well. Especially not when one is old, the other young. When one is male, the other is female.

The Intergalactic Federation had a rigid caste system which, according to the government, was necessitated by rigorous genetic inbreeding, which meant that a person born into a certain caste had all the physical and mental traits he or she needed to be a member of that caste.

Sarkoln was the epitome of a soldier, and Raith was the quintessence of a scientist - a free-thinking scientist, at least. She lived for discovering ways to harness the universe through science. There were four fundamental forces governing the cosmos - gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak force - and if one could control these forces, one also controlled the universe which responded to the dictates of these forces.

There was a legend in this system, the Orbius system, of a door. A door which led into all knowledge. Raith would have discounted it in her quest for knowledge but for one thing.

The Orbius system's anomalous history.

Every other system in the Intergalactic Federation, even those that weren't technically part of it, just as Orbius wasn't, was developing, however slowly, in science and technology.

Orbius, however, had been the most active system in the known universe when the Intergalactic Federation was young and just forming. Then, only a few decades before the Federation began to assert dominance, Orbius ships and influence vanished. In the wars to unite the universe that followed, Orbius was forgotten.

But when someone finally thought to visit Orbius years later, he reported that it was in a primitive state once more! A legend grew among the Federation that the natives of Orbius, fearing self-destruction if they allowed their incredible scientific development to go on, compiled much of their forbidden knowledge and placed it behind a door.

And locked it.

Now, Raith sought this door and its key. For if the legend was true, she would discover the secrets of ancient Orbius - the secrets that allowed one to control the forces that governed the universe!

It is a truism that everyone wants power in some form or fashion, whether they know it or not. In the case of Jillion Raith, she wanted scientific power - the glory and fame that would come with her discovery, and the power over the physical workings of the universe.

So Raith had managed to wangle the Valiant out of the battle line of the Intergalactic Federation, with a reduced crew that included its displeased commander. She was disappointed that this was all she had gotten, but it would have to do.

And so, the Valiant hovered over the three spheres that were the inhabited planets of Orbius system, waiting for Jillion Raith's orders.

-----

Ford, let me know if this character is okay or not. See, my idea is that the door has limitless knowledge behind it, whatever its source (the legend that Jillion Raith is following doesn't have to be completely true), and that whoever opens learns whatever he or she wants to know. In Jillion's case, it would be knowledge of the four fundamental forces of the universe.

------------------
2001-11-18, 7:12 AM #12
this is a great character. pengun where are ya? ill post about when the leader tells john soon. just give me a few.

------------------
2001-11-19, 3:19 AM #13
Alright, I'm here. Just haven't had enough time to really post, I will later today.

------------------
2001-11-19, 5:12 PM #14
John the Rokendie, of Hentsolk walked into the chamber of the Felse, Gregory Doros. He hadn’t had much time to learn his Rokes yet, and they were rather itchy and hot. He was told that when he finally mastered them, they would feel to almost not be there. He certainly hoped so. the Felse came into the room from a door hidden in the wall behind the desk. He was a rather short, pudgy man, with balding hair, and small round spectacles, presumably to make him look smarter. John hadn’t had much experience with the man, just a few times meeting, once before the test, once after.

“John, good to see you,” he said shaking johns hand enthusiastically. “I’m glad you made it; you always were one of the brightest our little town had. You mother must be proud. Its so sad your father couldn’t be here to see this.”

“Yes it is a pity. But we must all move on. I was told this was of the utmost importance, if this is no more than a congratulatory meeting, I apologize, but I must keep training.”

“Yes, yes, of course. That’s the way it is with you Roken isn’t it? Strictly business all the time. Heh,” the aging man sat in a big seat behind his desk. “Well if its business you want its business you’ll get.”

Doros leaned over and got into his bottom desk drawer, and got out a package in a large brown box. John gasped. Printed on the side was the seal of the confederation, the hawk and dragon.

“Ah, I see you recognize business when you see it Roken this came in the post this morning.I expect its urgent, considering the seal and all. Here, he said holding it out to him. “I was instructed that only you with your rokes could open it.”

John could feel his palms start to sweat under the silver streaked gloves. This was his first time using them on something other than the materials Fulton had provided for him in his training. John, could not mess up suck an important delivery.

He centered his will, and pointed his finger at the box, and shown to him by Fulton. He closed his eyes, picturing the box in his mind, turning it over and over, looking for weak points.

“Hurry up boy, im a busy man you know.”

“shh,” john said not opening his eyes. He sensed a weak sp at the lower right hand corner of the box, and he focused on that point. The silver wires in the gloves slowly started to glow with a green light. Suddenly a small hole appeared in the box. John traced in his mind an opening in he box, and his finger moved with his mind until there was a hole in the box, big enough to get whatever it was out of it.

OOC: okay enough for now. and for a note, a Felse is like a mayor. h yeah and Rokendie is an apprentice roken.

[This message has been edited by IS_ford1342 (edited November 19, 2001).]
2001-11-29, 7:46 AM #15
B.U.M.P. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

I've introduced my characters, and I don't know what else to do. So I'm waiting for you, Ford.

------------------
2001-11-29, 7:49 PM #16
When Kayl awoke all of his senses were overwelmed with a burning sensation, and as his awareness returned he yelled and felt all his muscles involuntarily tighten, and his back arched with pain.

His eyes shot open and he immediately regretted it, his vision was incoherently blury and exposing his eyes to air seemed to just worsen the burning. He tried to scramble up off the ground without really knowing why, however someone put a firm hand on his chest and forced him down.

"Be still, you're making it worse!" He recognised the voice of one of the priestesses.

Another voice rose from across the room, it was the priest's "This is unexpected...I hoped he wouldn't react like this."

"If I recall what my father told me, you cried for a day after-ward." Said someone else with a snide voice. Kayl didn't recognize it, but it was male, and about as young as him.

The priest responded with "Hmph, I also didn't splash it on my face...the fool...No matter, he passed by surviving. Drag him to the next chamber." Before Kayl knew what was happening he was hoisted up and carried between the shoulders of the two priestesses. All he could think was passed by surviving.

There was the rumble of a door moving and he was dragged a bit farther before being dropped on what felt like an old cot. He still didn't dare to open his eyes, and his nerves were burning.

"Drink this." The same priestess who spoke before pressed a thick jug filled with water into his hands.

Kayl drank heavily from it and splashed his face with it. Most of the pain subsided but he was still shakey.

Gingerly he opened his eyes...he could see but it was...different. As his other senses returned he realized that he was sensing the world in a completely different way...the air seemed to form solid shapes in the air that gave him information he could never percieve with his eyes before...the scents of the others in the room seemed to give away there emotions...he could tell where air was reaching the chamber and which bricks were strongest simply by listening carefully...it was overwhelming, and profound, and somehow mind-numbing. Finally the voice he didn't recognize spoke up.

"I'm sure you're just noticing your senses have been greatly heightened. It's the secret of our order. We call it the tuning of the pool. The prophets discovered it long before we were born."

Kayl focused his attention on the one who had spoken, he was indeed around the same age as Kayl. He was dark coloured, and his hair was tied behing his back in a long pony tail. His eyes were an unnaturally pale blue. They were piercing, as if he could stair into your soul.

"Yes, yours are like that too now. Your eyes that is. I can watch you carefully too. We will teach you a lot, train you more than your master ever had. because you have an important mission. I am Louy, Kayl, and I will tell you everything you need to know."

------------------
2002-01-06, 7:53 AM #17
OOC:sorry for the long instance between but its been a while since this character spoke to me. the next thng that needs to happen is for your characters to some how get to the first planet Dulnate (Duel-Nah-Tay). of course your charcters come form different worlds and may call it something different. well have fun with it, i know i am.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He reached his hand in tenatively. This was his first officail duty as a Roken, and he wasnt even fully trained.

A voice he didnt know suddenly spoke in his head. (Get Doros of the room. Now.)

"what?" he said aloud.

"I didnt say anything," the Felse replied, and then asked, "John, are you ok?"

"We are not on first name terms, Felse Doros, and I do not appreciate your informality. Please leave me alone for a bit."

"Im sorry Roken, of course, call me when you hae finished." The large man left the room, and closed the door behind him a little harder than was proper. he didnt appreciate being told off by a wetnose like him.

John stifled a laugh as he regained the courage to reach his and in again. when he did, he felt a feeling like vertigo, and he found himself in a place he didnt recognise. Beautiful mountains crested with snow streached out into the distance, and where he was standing was a small hut. trees stood around him so tal e could not see the tops. the green of the foliage was so rich, it could hae made i dying man want to live. a man stepped up to him from out of the hut.

"Hello, John."

"Um...Hi."

"I am your father John. If you are seeing this i didnt come back from my mission. A mission you must carry on. you are now a Roken like me, and are old enough to do complete this mission. i couldnt do it. i was too old. which is why you must go now. go on the search for the Golesta, the Door of Kowledge. My search has come up short. you must complete it.

"i have sent you all of my notes, and clues i have found. you must continue the journey i could not. you will understand what needs to be done once you reach there, but even i do not know. you must do it, the fate of our whole world depends on it.

"You must come here to Dulnate, to continue my search from here. I love you, son."

with this final word the image faded, and john was back in the dark dingy office of the Felse. His eyes were brimming with tears, and his knees felt weak. he fell to the floor with a loud thud.

thats enough for now. but be expecting more later today.
2002-01-06, 5:17 PM #18
"felse Doros," John said exiting the office. he had stuffed the small book into his hip pocket, and put the amulet aroundhis neck. the od ring was onhis pinky finger, where it would only just fit. "I must be to the Jump, but thank you for your hospitality."

"Going so soon?where are you going?" Doros stammered. "i thought you'd be staying for lunch."

"no im sorry. i must go to Dulnate, my father is waiting for me."

"He is alive?"

"yes but not for long. i must go."

the jump station was clean, and was nearly empty. he bought his jump ticket and only waited 20 minutes before his nuber came up. one of the stewards was coming along to give him the gas.

he hated this part. the onyl way you could go through the jump was if you were asleep. Awake you would see things way beond your years, and go mad. so you had to be put out.

he walked to the Jump Shute and laid down. the gas msk over his face, and blackness fell over him.

------------------
2002-01-09, 4:58 PM #19
"Admiral Sarkoln!" Jillion Raith's clear voice rang out across the bridge deck of the Valiant. "Prepare to land on Orbius One!"

With only the faintest of grumblings, Sarkoln complied, barking orders to the crew, and the ship banked, heading toward the ground of Orbius One, known to the natives as Dulnate. . .

Ford, I need to know WHERE on Dulnate to put Jillion. Also, how can Aull get to Dulnate, since he's basically a tribal primitive?

Also, can you post for Battle for the Nexus, please? Thanks! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2002-01-10, 2:53 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Also, can you post for Battle for the Nexus, please? Thanks! </font>

i figured youd say that. and sure no problem jsut not tonite. ive got other stuff to do. but, could he be from Dulnate? a part that isnt so developed? i dunno.or he could use something magical. if you just figure a way he can get there, it'd be no problem.

have her land in the only spaceport,Jeslot. itll be run down, but you can have free creative range with it. it has been out of operation for a number of years. have fun!

------------------
2002-01-11, 3:27 PM #21
Right, this is my first time posting on the storyboard forum, but this one looked a bit of fun, so I thought I'd give it a go...
Hope you like it!

Shono slowly eased the safety off, as he crouched behind the flimsy shelter of a wooden crate. Ferverently hoping he wouldn't need it, as there was nowhere safe to leave bodies out here. Silently he cursed himself for the hundredth time for getting himself mixed up in this. But, he thought, he didn't have much choice. Besides, the opportunity really had been too good to resist. This one would make him immortal in the memory of Mankind. This one was the jewel of all jewels. This one...was proving even more difficult to obtain than even he had expected, and Shono always prepared for the worst. It had all started two days earlier, in a seedy spaceport bar outside of Gar-Fathmor...
----------------------
"Hello Shono..."
Shono didn't like it when people he didn't know seemed to know him. He disliked it even more when they demonstrated their superior knowledge with the muzzle of a gun pressed into his back.
Shono tried to distract the stranger - "Hey, can't a guy enjoy a drink in peace?" - as he slid his hand down to his hip, where his trusty blaster waited patiently in its holster.
A blur of movement, and Shono found his hand pinned painfully behind him.
"Now, now, Shono, let's not get off to a bad start. We have some
business to discuss.."
Shono really didn't like that voice. He especially didn't like the emphasis it had put on the word "business". Shono thought quickly. Only one person knew what sort of business Shono was in. That was why he had survived so long. And she wasn't going to start suddenly blabbing to voices like that. That probably meant she was dead. And so was Shono if he didn't at least appear to be cooperating.
"You have been ...
recommended to us as the best, how do we put this, obtainer of antiquities and valuables?"
Shono grimaced. In his long career he'd heard many phrases for the term "thief". None had come close to approaching the awfulness of that one.
"We can offer you generously..."
"You know the rules. Go through my fence."
"Oh, how we wish we could have. However, your fence, she, well, couldn't join us tonight..."
Shono nodded grimly. He was right. Tania was dead.

----------------------
Three hours later he had wormed his way across the complex, and reached the wall of the mansion. He chuckled at the egotistical nature of the wealthy merchant who's possessions lay inside. This whole house, and its myriad servants (and slaves, Shono didn't doubt) all for the benefit of one occupant. And that one occupant a lump of rock. It was just a statement. An unnecessary one at that. That one simple rock was all the statement he needed. But then, a statement like that would bring entire armies after him. It was probably wise to drown out its shriekings in the mundane trappings of excess wealth. But Shono knew differently. Shono knew what was lying in the vaults at the bottom of the mansion. Shono always did his research. And Shono knew that should the merchant ever return to this house to visit his prize, he would have a shock. In terms of mystical powers, this lump of rock came second only to Golesta, the Door of Knowledge.
----------------------
Shono left the bar quickly, moving with the incredible stealth that came as second nature to him. He knew it wouldn't be enough to throw off the pursuers he knew must be there. A bar like that saw its fair share of murders in an evening, but Shono doubted the shadowy group the voice had belonged to was used to having its mouthpieces stabbed through the heart. They had made the mistake of expecting the very height of sophistication from Shono. It was true, Shono had all the knowledge and gadgets, but he also had a great understanding of human nature. If someone expects sophistication, they will often not guard against the crude.
Shono glanced behind him. There they were, the shadows moving through the night. He had one choice - lead them a merry chase through his territory, and hope they didn't know it better than he did. Not that it was really 'his' territory. The lower of the two Thieves' Highway was firmly under the control of the brutal Thieves' Guild. He had never been part of them, although he had grown up there. That was where he had learnt his craft, but he found their methods too crude. He had fast outpaced others with his natural skill, all the while growing more resentful of the Guild's philosophy that force was always necessary. When it had come to his inductment into the Guild, he had jumped ship. He didn't leave a note saying he had gone. His message was clear enough when they came to the ceremony for the remaining young lads - the golden statuette of Hosan, God of Thieves, central to the ceremony, was missing also.
This was not the time to worry about the fact that stepping onto Guild Territory was death for him. Staying up here he would be caught for sure by these thugs. Down in the sewers he could lose even the Guild's scouts . He was only a dead man if caught.

----------------------
Shono descended further into the depths of the dungeon. So far he had only encountered the mundane security of technology. He had been cracking these all his life. But now he was beginning to see the effects of the Stone at work. Shono was not a religious person. Gods, in his mind, were like tables. Yes, they're there, and yes, they're needed in the grand scheme of things. But they get on with their stuff while you get on with yours. It's not as though you needed to believe in a table to eat your dinner off it. But all the same...as he descended further, Shono definitely began to hold the power of this jewel with more and more awe. He wasn't sure exactly when it gained the capitalisation of the S, but he knew this was something he had never encountered the like of before.
The stone was definitely doing weird things to the dungeons. The layout just could not exist in three-dimensions. Several times he had gone around corners to find the corridor looped around and went through the corridor he had just walked down, but they did not intersect. One corridor led to a room that was just one wall. there was no floor, no ceiling, no walls infront or to the side of him. It was just a cliff face looking out into the inky depths of space.
He was beginning to realise why those people had been so keen to have him undertake this job. Shono wasn't immodest, he just knew he was the best thief on the entire planet. If anyone was going to steal this jewel, it would be Shono.
----------------------
It had taken all of his skill to keep the pitiful followers from losing the trail, whilst at the same time disorienting them enough that they became separated enough to take out one by one. By the time he had finished, the Guild knew there was someone loose in their realm. Shono doubted the Guild leader, The Claw, had forgotten him. Shono still knew these sewers better than anyone, and found no problem evading the Guild. Unlike his victims, they weren't stupid enough to follow Shono into territory he knew better than them.
By the time he was out in the open again, it was nearly midday. It had been nearly 16 hours since he felt the blaster on his spine, but he still had work to do. He could sleep tomorrow - today he needed information.
An hour later he was well out of the city heading for the mountains. The old monastery there was well known to him, altho few others. They did not impinge on the outside world at all, except for the exchange of information. Books were their religion more than anything. Their order believed when the Universe ended, a new one would be born from the seeds of knowledge of this one. And so they stored the information of a Galaxy in a huge library, carved out of the mountains. Thousands of chambers dug out of the living rock, each one housing millions of books. One chamber alone dedicated to indexing and cataloguing therest of the collection. Yes, Shono had had reason to call on the monks of Sao Sathna before now.
Shono sat at the reading table. Brother Garth, as Head Archiver, had found the correct book within the hour. As he hovered nearby, Shono flicked through the pages until he found it. And what an interesting read it made. Shono doubted the merchant in whose house it lay knew the awesome powers of the Tear of Shal-Neg'reth

----------------------
Shono's face was lit by the glow from the rock on the altar. He stood in the doorway of the chamber. Anyone else might have hurried forward, he had found it! The fabled tear of the fallen God of Chaos, shed as he was killed in the Wars of Gods in the formative years of the Universe, leaving chaos to be given into the care of the Mother. The only dead God to have left anything behind. There was no greater source of chaos than this hefty piece of crystal in the known Universe. This rock contained the essence of Chaos.
Shono was here, and there was no danger in the room, no traps, no nothing. But that was the very instinct that held Shono back when others would run forward. He had been nearly killed in several interesting ways this evening by traps devised by this rock, and as he got closer to the stone, the methods of death had got more and more unpleasant. Shono suspected this room was no different. His eyes scanned the room, and he mulled over what he had learnt from the Brothers of Sao Sathna.
Shono walked around the altar and considered. There was no way he was touching that rock. He paused as he reached the front of the altar again. Reaching into his cloak, he pulled out a large black device. It was a field-nullifier, but he doubted he would be needing a lot of his equipment in the after-life, and this was the heaviest and sturdiest of what he carried about. Raising it above his head, he brought it crashing down onto the rock, which splintered into a thousand shards. The pieces of the fake Tear faded into nothing, and as Shono looked up, he saw that the walls of the chamber had faded as well. In fact there was no sign of the corridor he had entered through.
He found himself in a vast room, with a high vaulted stone ceiling, and great pillars of marble. The altar still stood at one end, and Shono stepped down from it, seeing another altar at the other end of the hall. The walk there seemed to take forever, but finally Shono reached it. It was shaped exactly like the other altar, and the rock which lay on top of it was exactly the same.
"So that's it?" asked Shono to the emptiness, "you're giving up?"
YES came a voice in Shono's head.
YOU HAVE BESTED WHAT REMAINS OF ME. YOU PASS THE TEST. I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING MANY MILLENIA FOR ONE WHO COULD TAKE UP THE MANTLE THAT WAS TAKEN FROM ME. TAKE IT AND WIELD IT IN REVENGE AGAINST THE SYMBOL OF ALL THAT DEFEATED ME. YOU MUST HARNESS THE POWERS OF CHAOS AGAINST THE DOOR OF KNOWLEDGE, THE GOLESTA. YOU MUST FIND THE DOOR AND DESTROY IT!
A bright light shone from behind Shono. He turned and saw a doorway framed by light so intense it blocked out the rest of the hall. Through it he could see a landscape that was clearly not in the vicinity of the city of Gar-Fathmor.
THOUGH THIS DOORWAY IS A PLACE WHERE AN EXPEDITION TO FIND THE LOST DOOR GATHERS. JOIN THE GROUP AND USE IT TO GET TO THE DOOR. DO NOT LET THEM STAND IN YOUR WAY WHEN THE TIME COMES TO DESTROY IT. DO YOU ACCEPT?
Shono said nothing.
DO YOU ACCEPT? DO YOU ACCEPT?
Shono picked up the rock and weighed it in his hand, considering.
"Okay," he said eventually, "I've got no jobs at the moment. I'll look for your door."
IT IS GOOD YOU ACCEPT
"But I don't think I'll necessarily destroy it, and come to think of it, I don't think I'll be taking all the powers of chaos with me either. Mother Nature's been taking good care of them so far, I think she can have them a bit longer..."
As Shono lifted the Tear and smashed it onto the altar as hard as he could, the voice screamed in rage and frustration. A large shard cracked off and embedded itself into Shono's right arm, as the glow from the rock faded and the voice quietened into silence.
Shono, clutching his injured arm, stumbled through the door, cursing himself for smashing his field-nullifier - it looked like he wouldn't be laying down his tools just yet...
2002-01-11, 3:33 PM #22
[NSP: So Shono's got this shard of distilled Chaos embedded in his arm, which kinda gives him the powers of the God of Chaos, but since it's just a shard they're not that powerful powers, just so he's not insanely powerful. And also, he rejected the powers to begin with, so they're not gonna be able to control him and turn him into the evil mini-God of Chaos so easily, but there's still this element of will he eventually decide to try and destroy the Door when everyone gets there. Which could prove interesting.]

[This message has been edited by Evil_Giraffe (edited March 08, 2002).]
2002-01-19, 8:42 AM #23
Great! something i was looking for, and evil or potentially evil character. neato. well after i post for BftN ill post something here.
2002-02-03, 10:25 AM #24
He was suddenly awakened when someone else crashed into his head. Apprantly there were no stewards here. he was still lying at the bottom of the jump chute.

He got up quickly to accomodate for the other body. when he looked at it, he could hardly believe his eyes. it was Fulton, his teacher and mentor. why had he come here? all he could do was wait for him to wae up.
2002-03-07, 4:37 PM #25
OOC: please note the character of Fulton has a very thick accent, just think of it as being very very scottish

"Ach that was one hell of a dream," Fulton mumled as he sat up. He was too heavy for John to carry to one of the many cots around the room.

"Oh good youre finaly awake! now you can tell me why youre here,"John said.

"WEll, you kno you werent the only one t' get a package t'day. Your father sent one along to me as well, just incase something like this should happen. he said that if you were too young that i was to go with ye. it can be dangerous out here in the se parts ye know."

"hey im perfectly able to take care of myself. i know enough to get by. anyway thats not important. im glad youre here fulton."

"Me too, lad you know i wanted t' go with your father when 'e left. but he'd 'ave none o' that. he says t' me "Fulton old frend you know what im doing is very important and having you along would be a pleasure, but its to dangerous, we cant risk the two best Roken of Hentsolk diein' befoer we can do anyhting about it. and besides someones god to look out for Little john." an' i couldnt argue with 'im. mostly because he was much more handy with his Rokes that i ever was." the large man sighed and sat down on one of the cots.
"He was a great man, your father."

"I know. say listen why dont we go find us something to eat?"

"Sounds like a plan!"
2002-03-25, 9:29 AM #26
(NSP: Although I don't really have time to contribute my own stuff (aka character and whatnot) to the story, I could always contribute with a minor (supporting) character for someone else or write small portions in general with the pre-existing stuff like I do for Highemperor's "Battle for the Nexus" thread (and you've been so kind to help me out with my stuff [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]).

If such is what you want, tell me through e-mail or post what you'd like me to cover exactly (as Highemp did). I await to see how this story progresses [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Check out the following stories:
The Neverending Story Thread(comedy *sci-fi/fantasy*)--never finished--

(in story order)
The Change (The Second War) (sci-fi/fantasy) --not finished/on hold--
The Crusade--tentative title (fantasy/sci-fi) --To Be Announced--
Saga of the 3rd War (fantasy/sci-fi) --finished--
The Shadows of Darkness (fantasy/sci-fi) --finished--
The Eternal War (fantasy/sci-fi) --not finished/IN PRODUCTION--
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2002-03-27, 4:38 PM #27
*rubs hands together* Alright, time to see what I can do! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

-----

The Valiant's civilian shuttle, carrying Dr. Jillion Raith and a detachment of personnel and soldiers, orbited Orbius One.

The pilot said to Raith, "There appears to be something resembling a spaceport on the surface, Dr. Raith; however, if so, it is highly rundown."

"Set a course for approach," Jillion Raith acknowledged. "And hail anyone who might hear on an open band."

The pilot flicked a few switches, and the shuttle began transmitting a signal to the general area that the spaceport was in.

For four full minutes they sat there, waiting for a response. When none came, Jillion ordered, "Broadcast on all channels, in all spectrums." The pilot complied.

The signal was played in the cockpit of the shuttle as well, and Jillion listened to it as it went lower in tone, then spiraled higher, until it reached the human psychic levels-

BOOM!

With a horrific blast of sound and the hissing whine of congealed metal, the speaker was destroyed.

Jillion stared at it for a moment, then broke the silence, asking the stunned pilot, "What spectral band was the transmitter at when it melted?"

The pilot shook himself to recover his wits and replied, "Uh, that would be the psychic spectrum, madam, at the human level."

Jillion nodded sagely. In other words, there was a psychic shield around the abandoned spaceport. When something on a psychic level came within its range, a jolt of energy was sent to the victim - in this case, the shuttle's transmitter. She duly noted this in her datapad. "Descend to the spaceport, Pilot."

The pilot whipped around in his chair. "What? But, madam, in all probability, the inhabitants are hostile, as evidenced by the shield!"

Jillion let him finish, then said, "Nonsense. The Orbius planets have been occupied only by primitives for the past fifteen hundred years. The shield is a remnant, nothing more." Still, she marveled to herself that something could be built to stand the test of time for 1500 years!

In due course, the shuttle landed upon an open pad in the spaceport, and Jillion and her team disembarked. She left the pilot and one soldier with the shuttle, while she led the rest throughout the spaceport.

On a much deteriorated sign, she made out some sigils in the flowing ancient Orbian script that read, "Jeslot". So that was the name of this place. A spaceport, no doubt. But she marvelled even more at the ruins of the technology she saw scattered here and there. Here was evidence of scientific progress that, even 1500 years ago, far outdistanced the Intergalactic Federation today!

She came to the bottom of the ruined control spire, overgrown with vines and weeds. The door lay ajar, half off its hinges. However, she noted that there was no rust on the metal - truly a breakthrough achievement.

Walking inside, Jillion, found an elevator still in perfect working condition. She bade her team wait downstairs for her, and then went up to the top.

In the top of the control spire, in the Jeslot command room, she saw a statue standing in front of her. It was caked with mud and dirt, but its general form still showed through. It depicted a bald man in hermit's robe, and it was facing away from her.

Then the statue moved.

Who are you?

The question intruded itself suddenly into her thoughts, but she hadn't heard it aloud. The statue turned around and she saw that it wasn't a statue, but a man!

And no regular man at that. He had strange features and sharply pointed ears; why, it was as if he were an elf!

Again the question came. Who are you?

Jillion realized the man was a psychic. "I am. . ." She faltered. "I am a visitor, from another planet."

Are you a god?

"I am a scientist," she replied. "One who learns things about the universe."

I see. His expression remained completely devoid of expression. His fingers were laced together in front of him.

"Who. . . who are you?" she asked.

I am the Keeper of the Fragment.

"Fragment?" Her mind was racing, as she took notes mentally. What could she find out from this elf, if elf he was?

Yes. Long ago-

"1500 years ago?" she guessed.

Yes. The gods warred. The Dark God Hourhanimir rose out of the pit with the help of the Trickster, Wofki. The universe itself fled before him. He cast down all the gods - those who fought him, and those who ran; he even betrayed Wofki, so that the Trickster got the punishment he deserved. All save one. This was Onma, the Ultimate. He wrestled with the Dark God. Their battle shook the cosmos. Hourhanimir could not defeat Onma. Onma could not defeat Hourhanimir. Onma knew what he had to do. He grabbed onto the Dark God and cast them both down through the Golesta, the Door into the Pit. But he left a fragment of himself behind, a fragment of the Ultimate, so that the peoples of the universe may yet rediscover the light. I am the keeper of that fragment, as was my father before him, and his father before him, and his father before him, all the way back to my great grandsire.

Jillion's mind was racing. Hourhanimir - Onma - those were names of two of the most powerful beings in the Orbius system at the time of its disappearance from galactic affairs 1500 years ago. Apparently, they had fought, and their battle had become legend. Onma and Hourhanimir both had had control over the forces of the universe. But a fragment of Onma's power remained on this side of the door. And this Keeper had it!

"Where is this fragment?" she asked.

It is in my mind. It is this mind power that allows me to do great things. Jillion blinked. A remnant of Onma's psychic power, then? That would explain the powerful psychic shield over Jeslot.

"Why do you live here?"

Jeslot is my home. I can see all from here without having to resort to the Fragment. I can control all from here without having to resort to the Fragment.

Jillion nodded. The control spire was indeed the perfect setting for that. With a push of a button, anything could be done anywhere in the spaceport - assuming it still worked, of course. But- "Why would you not want to use your Fragment's power?"

The Ultimate's power, nor even a mere Fragment, is not meant for mortals. Every time I use it, some of my life is drained.

Jillion nodded slowly. "I see." She paused. "Would you like to come with me? I would like to learn more about you?"

The Keeper made no move of his head, nor change of his face. Instead, he telepathically transmitted: I would not. I will stay here. This is my place.

"Then permit me and my friends to stay here, to learn from you."

The Keeper paused before replying. Very well.

She called her team up from the bottom of the spire and told them the story of the Keeper of the Fragment, then ordered them to scan the Keeper's body and mind. They reported that the psychic presence they detected in his mind was off the scale! Jillion was amazed. This was a mere fragment of the power behind the door called the Golesta!

-----

Well, that's all for now. Tell me what else I need to do, please. Thanks! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2002-03-27, 4:40 PM #28
YAY! Finally! okay well the absolute next thing you have to do is somehow get Aull there. otherwise, i can get John and Fulton hooked up with Raith. BTW The Keeper is an excellent idea. tomorrow J&F will wander the city of Jeslot, who knows what they may find. COOL! ha ha the story moves on.

[This message has been edited by IS_ford1342 (edited March 27, 2002).]
2002-03-28, 6:41 AM #29
"well fulton there doesnt seem to be much in the ways of restaurants around here. Or people for that matter."

"Aye, well Dulnate is an ancient place, thee hasnt been anyone living here for over 1500 years. YOu see way back then there were these two Powers, with much more control of their environment than we do with or Rokes, mind ye..."

"Yes, yes, wev'e all heard the legend The ultimate took The Dark and pulled him through the golesta into the pit of the eternal., but what i dont understand is why everything here vanished."

"Ach, you havent been paying attention to yer history books 'ave you? the Ultimate, Onma, 'is name was, was also the greatest psychic power the universe had seen until now. all the inhabitants of Dulnate and its two sister planets simultainiously took their lives once they felt his presence dissappear. they wus all connected to him and not one of 'em could bear to live without 'im. He was their guidance, their hope, their life."

"But wh..."

Just then a horrendus noise to the east was heard. they could see a bright light in the sxy descending rapidly to the ground.

"dear gods," Fulton cred, "its a space ship. i 'avent seen one of them since before i wus a Roken. Not since they installed the last J-stay.(short for jump station)"

"we had better check it out then havent we?"
2002-03-28, 1:28 PM #30
Just so you know, Jillion Raith is an ambitious and potentially evil character. Also remember that the Keeper can control virtually anything within Jeslot with his computers in the control spire.

And, EvilGiraffe, keep in mind that Shono would be from the Intergalactic Federation, since it controls most of the universe.

-----

After Lily left him that night, Aull crept through the dark streets of the elf village, which were bereft of light of any kind, save that of the stars, crescent moon, and the sister planets of Dulnate. He crept past the cabins of the common folk. He crept past the small manor of the elven chief.

The boy crept past them all until he came to the temple. It was a modest structure, no more than a domed circular room constructed of stone and framed by several hexagonal pillars. Aull entered the temple, and looked around in awe.

The elven civilization remembered more of what life had been like before the Great Cataclysm that had shaken the Three Worlds. Their civilization was more advanced than those tribes of man out on the Jacorrian plains. The elves believed in balance, an archetypal balance of conflict and harmony that they called the Law. Thus they worshipped all the major gods. Godamen and Godawe, god and goddess of masculinity and feminity; Nox and Lux, day and night; Order and Chaos; Onma the Ultimate and Hourhanimir the Dark, good and evil. Thus there were statues depicting each deity in the alcoves, eight statues, eight altars, eight gods. Dead gods. All killed in the Great Cataclysm when Hourhanimir escaped the Eternal Pit. All killed in the Great War of the Gods. Several of the minor gods, including Wofki the Trickster, the Betrayer, had been killed or wounded. Yet most of the tribes on Dulnate faithfully worshipped them. They had been doing it for eons; it was the weight and momentum of tradition. Besides, there was a new god. The Chameleon God, the Mother Goddess, She of Many Faces. She had many names. But she answered to all of the old names of the old gods as well, answering the prayers of those who prayed in the stead of the dead gods. Though her might was considerably small compared to the old gods, she did what she could. The elves actually refused to worship her, saying that the Law still existed, that the balance was still preserved, would always be preserved, and must be worshipped.

(The human tribes on the plains mostly worshipped Godamen and Godawe exclusively, for they had the most bearing on their day-to-day lives.)

In the center of the room was a marble pedestal. Upon the pedestal was a single candle.

"My son." The voice came seemingly from nowhere. But Aull pinpointed it and turned to face a grizzled old elven priest, barely visible in the dim candlelight.

"My father," the boy inclined his head respectfully.

"What do you seek tonight?" the priest asked.

"I seek solitude, father."

"Then seek well, my son." The priest obligingly glided out of the temple. Aull reflected that he probably might not have done this so easily were it not for the priest's probably failing eyesight and the dim light; otherwise he would have seen that he was a human.

Aull rotated slowly around, looking around at all eight statues in the alcoves. "I love Lily," he began haltingly, still swiveling. "I want to be with her always. But you're dead. And even if you're not, you may defy me. But if you do, fine! Defy me! I will defy you! I must have Lily!" His voice softened. "Let us be together always. We make each other whole. Surely you can have no argument against that."

He turned to look at the pedestal. Next to the candle was a book. The Book of Law, the elves called it. It held the precepts of the Law within it. "Law," he said, "if there is a Law, be with me now. I feel that Fate itself is against me." Aull then gazed upward at the dome. There were faded paintings of golden-skinned beings with wings. . . and of a wise old man in a pure white robe, holding in one hand a book that looked like the Book of Law, and in the other, a healing rod. The paintings, once majestic and colorful, were now scratched and faded and barely discernible.

-----

Ach, gotta go. Will try to finish later tonight. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2002-03-28, 4:53 PM #31
Aull gazed long and hard at the paint on the ceiling. Especially at the wizened old man bearing the Book of Law - for that was surely what it was - and the healing rod. He sensed something greatly important about this man, and yet something greatly compassionate. "Who are you?" he whispered, and a tear trickled down his cheek. "Please. . ."

As if in response to his plaintive plea, he had an epiphany.

Caught up in the clouds, he floated. . . floated toward the ceiling, floated toward the painting, floated INTO the painting. There were the winged creatures with golden skin, in all their mighty and terrible glory. There was the wise man, smiling. He spoke, and his tone was gentle and kind. "My child. . . know that I love you, and though in your journey you may lose everything, stay to your path, for you may yet gain everything." In his left hand he held the rod of healing, with which he touched Aull's forehead and heart, and in his right he held the Book of Law, proferred to the boy.

Aull took the great book, and opened it. Its pages fluttered and turned of their own accord, though there was no wind, and settled on one particular page. A sentence shone gold to him, and his eyes fell upon it, and though it was written in strange flowing sigils, he was able to read it! It said-

"My son?" Aull came back to his senses. He was still standing in the candlelit temple, with the open Book of Law before him. The voice of the priest came again. "My son? I see that you wish to read the great Book. May I translate for you?"

"No," Aull murmured. "No, I can understand it. It says, Sek jm, ak'ubu'ew'Qoi daccam. 'Seek well, for I give the Law to the people.'"

He left the temple with a renewed sense of purpose, leaving a very bewildered priest behind.

-----

Aull traveled for many days and nights, following the brightest star, hanging on to the promise of the person he had come to call the Lawgiver. If he really existed, he represented a source of hope for Aull. The compassion in his voice in the vision suggested that the Lawgiver might allow his marriage to Lily.

So he traveled until he came to the ruined spaceport, Jeslot, on the same day that Jillion Raith and her team landed.

He walked up to the large overgrown metal door that served as one of the entry points to Jeslot. He didn't know that it was called Jeslot or that it was a spaceport, only that it was a ruins and that it was directly in his path. Was this his destination? he wondered.

Aull raised a fist and knocked. A clang reverberated into the ruined spaceport.

-----

In the control spire, Jillion Raith was asking the Keeper of the Fragment several questions while her scientific team was conducting tests on him, when the Keeper telepathically "spoke".

Someone comes.

The elf hermit strode over to a computer console, scanned the screens, and pressed a button without hesitation.

"Who is it?" Jillion Raith asked.

His identity is of no concern to me. All except those who present threats to the Fragment are permitted to come and go as they please.

"The psychic shield. . ." Jillion mused. Apparently the Keeper only considered those with psychic powers to be any threat to him, and the psychic shield filtered those out. And no wonder. Psychic power was actually the fifth fundamental force of the cosmos, the missing link that had so long eluded scientists in their search for the Grand Unified Theory of Everything. It connected everything together.

-----

Aull walked into the ruins.

-----

Well, that's all for now, and I don't know what else to do now! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2002-03-30, 4:12 PM #32
Destructos was his name, blowing stuff up his game. Not much was known about him, even to those that became close with him. Those that could be considered his friends were mostly reptilian humanoids like him. Although none were even close to the species he was. His appearence struck fear into the hearts of those he was paid to destroy. His skin was black, eyes flaming red. His hands were five fingered with a talon-like configuration, his feet were also like a birds. The only clothes he wore were his robes that had no definable color, due to the fact that they changed color depending on Destructos' mood. Sometimes it would even play out his thoughts. That fact was the only thing that the people he was hired to "nutralize" had to gaurd aggainst.

His armament contained such things as a sonic dissasembler (own design), and c8 charges. His mind thought up many new designs, so often the only payment he asked was an addition to his lab, were he custom-made all of his things.

His joy in life was to blow things up. Just plain and simple destruction. His free time was devoted to practicing blowing stuff up, and researching new ways to cause more destruction. So naturally, when he heard that some could cause massive amounts of destruction with the flick of a wrist, he was intigued.

[This message has been edited by TX3_Gandalf (edited April 02, 2002).]
TX3=The Tolkien TerrorsT times 3
&gt;&gt;-----&gt;
SBX ROCKS!!
()===@{=====&gt;
2002-03-30, 4:32 PM #33
(NCS: Here, I'm changing it.)

When Destructos learned of this new power from a new employer, he was intrigued.
"Where did you learn of thisss, powerr?" he asked.
"From the libraries of the man that I have sent you to, disarm. I was on a surveilance mission getting this map of his storehouse, when I stumbled upon his main computer interface. Naturally I downloaded all of the information off of it onto my ships computer banks."
"Yess, what did you learn?"
"Patience my destructive friend, patience. I was perusing the documents when I came upon a manuscript in a forgotten language. I ran a translation program, and found stories of great people, called called Hourhanimir and Omni(is that the right spelling?). They had a mighty battle once and threw themselves into a door to another realm. It was also said that these people would choose others and teach them in their art."
This was very intrigueing to Destructos, so he decided to get a copy of this file.
"Give me a data dissk with this manuscript on it. Include with it anything elsse that hass to do with it."
"I was planning on it," the man said.
"It wass a pleassure doing busssinesss with you."
With that Destructos swept out of the room. He hopped onto his hoverboard and went on with his business.
--------------------
Later that day
"Yess I would like a complete overhaul on my shipss ssysstemss...The SsnakeSstrike...Yess, I am aware of the costs of a check-up of a ship of the Reptalia class...Today if you pleasse.I'll ssee you then." He hung up his rad-com.(Bumbling foolsss.) He thought to himself. With the maps in the manuscript he had figured out that the planet he was seeking was Orbius 1. Just a small distance from the planet his armory was stationed on.
"Sson I will be able to desstroy all those who sstand in my way. I will be able to fulfill all of my dreamss. SSssSSss." he cackles to himself.
----------------------
Later that week
Now that he had finally arrived at Orbius 1, he decided that he would rather land his ship outside of the meager starport and sneak in.
After landing he went through the portal generater that he had with him at all times to his armory and stocked up. Body armor, sniper rifles, laser cannons, even his beloved Laser Swords went with him, placed in his robes and pack. His Laser Swords were weapons that were like normal Medieval period swords,except for the fact that they could fire lasers from their tips and turn into a blade of pure energy. All made by Destructos in case he was confronted by a hostile person that was too close for comfort. Once armed and armored, he cloaked his ship and left.
He was about to walk to the nearest door when he saw a boy that looked to be around 12, but his eyes had a look to him that hinted at something much older. He hid himself with his robes, having them take on the appearence of the surroundings.He followed th boy to see what he could see.

[This message has been edited by TX3_Gandalf (edited April 03, 2002).]
&gt;&gt;-----&gt;
SBX ROCKS!!
()===@{=====&gt;
2002-03-30, 4:54 PM #34
Gandalf, you'll have to check with Ford to make sure, but I think he would prefer it if you were completely original, instead of resorting to StarCraft for ideas. I'm not trying to put a damper on your interest here, I just want to let you know. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2002-03-30, 4:57 PM #35
good charachter. thoguh i really would like to know more before you get to Dulnate. really it doesn matter how quickly you introduce it, id just like some mrore background and see how he interacts with other people. jsut give us a few scenes.
2002-03-31, 8:00 AM #36
Sorry if I didn't explain very well. This is my first time. What do you mean by how he'll interact with the other characters? Like, how he interacts with other people in general? Such as, "He isn't really a people person, so when his friend came and disturbed him while training, he got pretty mad." Or how he interacts with the other characters?
&gt;&gt;-----&gt;
SBX ROCKS!!
()===@{=====&gt;
2002-03-31, 2:11 PM #37
Gandalf, I read up on the StarCraft info, and while it's very interesting, it's also completely unoriginal. I'm not sure Ford knows that. (Everyone else's work in this story is completely original.)

Ford, Gandalf's character draws upon the game StarCraft. That's where the Templar, the Zerg, the Arbiter, the Protoss, everything come from. If you wish to allow unoriginal material into this story, that's your business. But I am formally lodging a complaint. :P

Bear in mind, also, Gandalf, whatever character you decide to use, that behind the Door (or Golesta, as it's called), is, basically, ultimate knowledge and power. Even a Fragment of that, such as the Keeper has, is bound to be far more powerful than any of our characters searching for the Door. Just something for you to keep in mind. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2002-03-31, 2:46 PM #38
yes i did not know the chatacter was based from starcraft. and i would rather an original character into the story. if he does post his wor here though i would like it in the same fashion of the rest of the characters. if youll notice that we use narration and dialogue to develop the characters, we didnt jsut establish every little thing about them one thing after the other after the other. things like that make a character have no depth and seem totaly unrealitic. highemp thank you for telling me about the unoriginality, althoguh ill have to admit, there is one thing in this story that isnt of my own design. this is the Jump, the teleportation device John and Fulton used to reach dulnate. this device is taken from a Stephen King short story (incidentally its called The Jump, if i remember correctly) and i liked the idea a lot. if you are going to use something of someone elses design please use it as something minor like i did. dotn create a character based completely on someone elses work. thanks.
2002-04-01, 3:49 AM #39
"Z2Y4", commonly referred to as "Zed" was a Z2 class military android, with a VERY high level of free thinking. Essentially, he was a human - programmed by a resourcefull and tinkering young mind, a Global Tech University graduate Vincent "Vince" D'engou. His mainframe programms were based on human instincts. Yet he was still a computer. A computer which lived, thinking of itself as a living being.

"Zed" worked as a mercenary for those who were willing to pay. His current job was for the Gar-Fathmor Thieves' Guild, which promised a considerable increase in "Zed"'s finances. The job itself was a typical "seek-'n-destroy" mission - he was to find a man called Shono.

"Zed" inhaled the smoke from his cigar into his modified air ventilation system, threw a pair of creds on the counter, and kindly asked the barman for some "paid" information.

NSR (Not Story Related): I hope it's not 2 late to join, Ford

------------------
"We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely. All art is quite useless." -Oscar Wilde
"We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely. All art is quite useless." -Oscar Wilde
2002-04-01, 5:37 AM #40
no it isnt too late to join in. interesting character. could be useful. does anyone know where pengun or EvilGiraffe are?

↑ Up to the top!