Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsInteractive Story Board → Exile: A tale of Light in Dark
Exile: A tale of Light in Dark
2004-04-13, 8:03 AM #1
Immense laughter could be heard throughout the town. Such happiness and squabbling flowed from the Temple of the Mystics like the Crystal Falls just south of Granadeth. Today it was the sound of children. Not young in their years, but not yet grown, these adolescents were to become the future generation of protectors for the town of Granadeth. Some of them trained vigorously to one day become great warriors. Others trained in the arts of the Mystics to master the forces of Magic that was revered and loved by all. The mages were a special bunch. At every town holiday the elder mages would summon forth great light shows and ethereal creatures to entertain the town. It had been centuries since they had used their defense. Still the townspeople knew better than to dissolve their defense squad.

The laughter, it seemed, was not as happy as it sounded. One of the boys, the smallest of the group, named Macht was being picked on and ridiculed for a question he had asked in the presence of their tutor today. Macht, a pupil of the elder mage Epsydon, was a curious looking boy. His face always wrought with anger and his figure small and scrawny. He excelled, however, at studies regarding dark magic. It was a must for all pupils to learn of the dark forces. Without understanding, it was thought, there could be no reason for avoidance. But Macht was a natural for the dark forces. He played not in the realm between the two plains of magic. He strayed not into the grey at all. His extreme interest for Black Magic was one of concern for all amongst the town.

The elders knew of only one mage throughout all recorded history who had been able to control Black Magic without prejudice and evil. Throughout thousands of years only one man had been able to bend the naturally evil force to his will and use it for good. As it were, this man was in Macht’s lineage. His eldest father (what we would know as a 3rd generation grandfather, or great great great grandfather) was a mage of unrivaled power. He nearly ruled the town as Head Elder, but declined the position for even he was afraid of what too much control over the people would do to his mind. He died peacefully, and his body was dealt with to his specifications. He was placed in a coffin made of lead, and melted down into a statue that resides outside the Hall of the Ancients. How ironic that the first thing to be walked across when entering a temple of White Magic is a shrine to a Dark Magician.

Much like his eldest father, Macht was able to easily comprehend and use dark spells to do simple tasks. He was the first of his class to be able to accomplish any spell at all. It scared one and all that he was so adept at controlling physical objects with darkness. But because of his advanced learning, his peers ridiculed him for it. And as such brings us to today, where the children laugh and poke fun at an ever tiring Macht.

Boy1: Ask it again Macht!! It always sounds so much funnier coming out of you!

Boy2: I’ll try!! “By using dark spells, couldn’t we control the Drahktil? Why do we have to succumb to their will!? Who are they protecting us from that we couldn’t protect ourselves!?” hahahahahahaha…

With that, a crowd of boys begins a chant and forms a ring around Macht.
Boys: Macht, Macht, they’ll throw you in the tower where the doors are locked. Up there forever you’re gonna rot. All because you think that you control the dark. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

The boys grow closer to Macht and grow quieter in their chant. Repeating it over and over as they walk closer and closer.

Macht: ENOUGH!!

Macht throws out his arms and his eyes cloud over in black. He begins chanting a spell, but the others take no heed. They continue their taunting. When he completes the chant, Macht looks up at the others and smiles. They see his eyes and stop their childish chant. Just then, a wave of energy flows from Macht and the boys are thrown hundreds of feet along the ground. Macht collapses and is unconscious.

Elder 1: The boy has no family. This town is all he’s got left. Exile to the tower cannot be our only option.

Elder 2: He nearly killed his entire class today. Such anger and uncontrolled magic should not be possessed by such a small boy. The tower is protected by the spells of the ancients. He, and we, will be safe with him up there.

Head Elder: I believe the council shall act in favor of placing him in the tower. He shall continue to learn his studies. However, he shall be watched. Isolation is not going to be his punishment. He shall not know he is being punished. Instead, we shall place another spell upon the tower. He will think that he is down here with us. It shall all appear to him as though he were living normally. I believe that he could be a great protector to this town. His eldest father was among the greatest of the mages throughout the world. The power runs in his veins.

Macht awakens in his bed. He is unharmed, and assumes that he was dreaming. He must rush to find his peers. They cannot be hurt. If they are harmed, he will run; where to he knows not yet, but he will run. He must prove them wrong. He must show them that the dark forces can be used for good. He runs outside, and the town is calm. People scurry about doing their daily tasks, but something is awry. Everybody smiles and greets him happily. Never has he received such welcome.

Macht: Veratu km’nidos araktai coromnos!

A less violent wave flows from Macht, but the shroud is fallen. He is entombed in the tower. He looks to his window, and the town is not calm. People scurry around and point up to him in the window. They do no know that he can see them. They ask each other how long he’ll be up there. Some speculate that he’ll never be released; others claim that they are only monitoring his actions. Either way, Macht is not going to be kept like an animal in a cage. He chants another spell and passes through the wall ethereally. Through the town gates he travels, and he shall not return. He will prove them wrong. The Drahktil will no longer force their will upon his people. They will all cheer for him when he returns. They must…

NSP: Not sure what’s going on? Take a read of A Knight’s Tail. This story takes place before the characters of AKT are even born, but I’m sure you’ll see the relevance. Keep it going!

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-04-13, 12:39 PM #2
NSP: Darn, i'd like to write, but i can't think of anything to write yet... i'll just watch for a bit.

[Edit]Forgot to mention, nice title [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail

[This message has been edited by Noble Outlaw (edited April 13, 2004).]
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-04-13, 7:13 PM #3
NSP: It's fresh right now. It only needs some plot development. I'm kinda basing it on the fact that Macht is probably a bit younger now than when he appears in AKT. So there's a good chunk of time between the events to develop. I made a button for it and it's now linked from OSC like AKT.

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-04-14, 9:35 AM #4
Far to the east of the town Macht travels alone along a path. He travels aimlessly, lost in his thoughts. Though adamant in his rejection of the town, he now finds how little he has learned of the outside world in school. He has no knowledge of where the other towns are, or even what other towns there are. He doesn't even know the locations of the Drahkil 'Guardians'. And so he travels across the roads, deciding that sooner or later he shall find someone or somewhere where he can gather more information. Suddenly, from the west, he hears a load screech, and he dives under the tree. He knows that sound, the sound of a Drahkil in dragon form. And, as he thought, in a few seconds one flies over his head.

To one who has not seen it before, this would be a truly wondrous sight. This particular dragon has scales that start At a pure green on it's head and turn smoothly to blue at it reaches the edge of its split tail. The sun glints off the scales, casting strange rainbows on the ground. The wings split off from its shoulder blades, and are immense, spanning as least several hundred feet. These also display the smooth green to blue gradient. It's large eyes whirl into many shades as it surveys the landscape, and blessedly it fails to detect Macht under the tree line. Soon it issues another screech and heads in another direction.

To Macht, however, this is a sight he has seen many times before, and would be glad never to see again. He also knows what it means to have seen a Drahkil in a place like this.

Macht: So, the Elders have learned of my escape, and have even entreated the Drahkil to help in searching for me. No matter, if I can hide from their searches long enough they shall give up, and I’ll be able to roam as I wish. I will not be forced to stand the ridicule of those imbeciles and their ill-conceived perceptions about the ‘order of the world’ any longer, and I shall not be kept in a cage like an animal, serving only to protect their precious town!

And so Macht continues on his path, now wary of Drahkil scouts, continually widening the distance between himself and the only place he has ever know.

NSP: sorry this was so short, but I wanted to contribute something, and I couldn’t think of my own character to make yet.

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
A Knight's Tail
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-04-14, 11:29 AM #5
The anger in Macht was overwhelming. Never before had he felt so abused. He understood why he was ridiculed. He saw the reason for the disbelief of his peers. He only wanted to show them what could be done. What he KNEW he could do. But to be entrapped within that forsaken tower like some wild beast was too much. Never again would he protect that town. Granadeth was dead to him now. He would return, but only to show his omnipotence to the townsfolk. It was then that he stumbled upon a staff. It was old and weary, and could deffinitely use some care. The young wizard had never owned a staff before. The elders thought it too cripling for a mage of their order to use a staff as a crutch. No matter, he took up the staff and continued walking.

Macht:It's not every day you come across a staff lying in the woods. Then again, it's not every day that I'm walking in the woods. But I'm sure it's not commonplace at any rate. .. Who are you my new friend? Should you not belong to another mage? Do you not have an owner?

Macht then noticed that the staff was missing its stone. The stone atop the staff was the source of the power. The mage's energy channeled through the shaft and into the stone, releasing a power that with bare hands the wizard could not hope to wield.

Macht:No stone. Hrmph. This is something we must remedy. When I come to a town I'll ask where I can purchase a stone for you. Then maybe you'll be able to tell me of your travels.

The ground was loose beneath Macht's feet and he stumbled. He slid down the hill that moments before he could not see. As he tumbled downward he noticed a large black mass before him and when he came to a stop he was pressed against a large cliff with stairs carved into the base. The cliff was entirely black, with glinting bits of micah in its surface. What better stone than this for his staff?

Macht: Ah... Obsidian! Perfect! I'll find a place hidden low to take a chip from this cliff, and then I'll ascend the steps to meet a new people.

Macht reached down and lifted a heavy stone from the ground. He found a small crack at the base of the cliff and began to hammer at it. Like brittle sandstone the obsidian fell away revealing a piece that shined much more lustriously than any of the rest of the cliff. However, it was not going to fit into his staff. Macht assumed there would be a smith somwhere along his journey, and he would request the stone to be carved and tumbled.

Macht:phew... There are a ton of these steps... I wonder what I'm going to find at the to...

Macht's words were cut short because before him lay a bazaar the likes of which he had never seen. Shops lie everywhere in every direction. People peddling everything imaginable and just as he had suspected, towards to back of the fair he found a smith. He approached him with caution.

Macht: Good sir, how much would you charge me to carve and tumble this stone? It must fit into my staff here.

Smith: How old are you boy? Ah, no matter. I've nothing better to do. Give me the stone and the staff, and I'll have it done for you in an hour. No charge.

Macht: Really!? Great!

With that, Macht went about looking through the bazaar. There seemed to be endless things to look at, but what caught his eye most was a sleek black cloak hanging in a tailor's shop. Long and luxurious, the cloak almost called Macht's name as he stared. He decided to try to haggle with the tailor for its worth.

Macht: Excuse me sir, how much would you take for that cloak there?

Tailor: What? The appretice robe here?

Macth: No no, the one behind it. The long black one.

Tailor: You want this one?

The expression on the tailor's face was queer. The weather as of late had been excruciatingly hot, and he couldn't fathom why the boy would want a black cloak.

Tailor: I'll sell it to you for 35 gold Silerons. Nothing less.

Macht: Only 35!? Here!

Macht felt as though he had gotten a great deal. He had nearly 200 Silerons with him, and 35 was nothing to him at the moment. The deal satisfied the Tailor as well. The cloak had never sold because of the enchantment placed upon it. The wearer cannot sleep while wearing the robe. Macht knew not of such an enchantment, but even if he had, it is likely he would not have cared. His wait was over, and with his new cloak draped over his shoulders he headed back to the smith. When he got there, he could not believe his eyes. The smith stood dumbfounded at his own work. The staff glistened like new, and the stone atop it shone brighter than the sun in the sky.

Macht: Is that MY staff?!

Smith: ye..yeah... I'm not sure what happened, but once the stone was completed, I went to set it. After it was set the entire staff glowed bright white and then went back to almost normal. But the shaft was like new, and the stone was glaring white like it is now.

Macht: Wow!

The boy took the staff hurridly and ran back down the steps, eager to see what it could do. He reached into his pocket and emptied his changepurse into his messenger bag. He put the small leather pouch over the head of the staff while he walked to keep from drawing attention to the immensely bright stone.

What will happen next? Will this newfound staff be a menace or a blessing? Find out next time in Exile.

nsp: and noble, he sorta is your character. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-04-14, 12:57 PM #6
NSP: Heh. He's looking like my Macht already. But you started him in this story, and so i consider him yours. all i did was mention him.

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-04-15, 11:19 AM #7
(NSP: This so should have been called "Exile: A Tail of Light in Dark." >.> I go now...)

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: Ideas for a New Story
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-04-15, 2:42 PM #8
NSP: yeah, but Nirewin doesn't exist yet. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-04-18, 4:10 PM #9
Above the forest, the dragon that passed so near to Macht continues his survey of his forest, growing more and more annoyed at the frivolous commands of the mages.

Dragon: Why do they send me on this stupid quest? None of them are powerful enough to match the might of the Drakil. Why do they waste my time searching for a child? A child!!! And why do my superiors insist on indulging thier every whim? I've had enough of this!

The dragon swoops down low, and with a cry, transforms into a human. In human form, he is rather taller then average, and rather thin. He has a robe that flows smoothly from blue to green, ans odd, yellow irises. He hits the ground on his feet, hard, but he is unharmed, and rises gracefully. Seemingly on a whim, he looks toward a looming black cliff nearby. He can see stalls on the top of it, in some sort of market arrangement.

Dragon: Hmm.. well, if i'm going to become an outlaw, i might as well get some supplies. I won't beable to use my dragon form a lot, i will attract too much attention.

AND SO THE NEWLY CRIMINAL DRAGON HEADS OFF TO THE MARKET WHERE HIS QUARRY IS, ALTHOUGH I'M PRETTY SURE HE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THAT ANY MORE. WILL NOBLE BE ABLE TO NAME HIS CHARACTER SOON, OR WILL YECTI DO IT FOR HIM? WILL THIS STORY GET MORE WRITERS? FIND OUT A BIT OF THIS NEXT TIME ON 'EXILE'!![/b]

NSP: sorry i haven't written in awhile, i've been trying to think up my character. Just to tell you, the dragon doesn't dislike all humans, just authority figures, and the head Drahkil, to a cretain extent. and Yecti, i give you permission to name him if you want to have an interchange between him and Macht.

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-04-20, 2:44 PM #10
Macht: I can't wait to test this thing out. I'll head into the woodland south of town to the lagoon. Nobody will bother me there.

And so he went. Macht traveled some distance before deciding he would atempt his first spell using the staff. He was growing tired, and his excitement had not quelled. He wished to float along his path and ride an invisible cloud to his destination. He pulled the pouch off of the staff, but the stone no longer shone so brightly. Confused, Macht then walked towards a clearing where the sun still lit through the canopy. Instantly, as though it were capturing the light itself, the stone blazed forth a brightness that Macht was not prepared for. He fell backwards and dropped the staff to the floor. Dazed, he then walked back over to it and picked it up.

Macht: I need to get some sort of tinted lens to protect my eyes from this stone. I know now that it harnesses the power of the sun. Such a light staff should surely guide me on my path. Even whilst using it for dark magic, it should certainly only be used for good. So I need two spells. A creationary spell to get some lenses, and a summonary spell to bring my ride...

With that, Macht made a quiet chant, and before him a great white light appeared. From within the light a pair of lenses connected together with a bridge to rest on his nose appeared. He picked these up, placed them against his face and began the second chant. Blow his feet the same light appeared. He then began to hover and the light faded away. He pointed the staff forward and forward he traveled. He then pointed the staff in the direction of the lagoon, this time at a steeper angle, and he accelerated quickly. Within no time he was standing in the woodland amongst the lagoon. The trees around him formed a ring, and the light shone through glisteningly. He stood near the pond and began to concentrate. A small white orb, this time not blindingly bright appeared before him. He could telepathically command it where to go. It zipped to and fro throughout the woodland, whizing in and out of the trees.

Familiarity haunts this installment of Exile. Could this white orb be as destructive as the OTHER ORBS we've seen?! Only time will tell in the next installment of Exile!!

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-04-20, 2:52 PM #11
NSP: Heh, this is great. The story has already changed significantly from what i first invisioned when puting those carvings on the wall. I like [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]. I'll get some more uo pretty soon, i hope. i jsut have to figure out how i'm going to use My character, and what to name him.

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
Scions of Light[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-04-26, 4:43 PM #12
About 20 minutes after first deciding on that path, the dragon reaches the market on top of the obsidian cliff. He peruses the stalls, fingering several cloaks, and looking at several of the foods arrayed in enticing patters. He stops at one of the weapon stalls, and picks a handsome flamberge rapier, and tries a few strokes with it. He is very skilled, and the rapier weaves complex patters in the air under his guidance. The merchant who owns the stall comes over, anxious to help this obviously wealthy patron.

Merchant: Ah, one of my finer pieces. It is a true work of art, is it not? The wave of the blade is known for inflicting extra damage, and the point has been honed to perfection. Even a fully armed knight would be no match against this fine weapon.

Dragon: Although I doubt the validity of that last statement, it is indeed a fine weapon. How much for it?

Merchant: Well, I’m not sure if I would want to sell it, it is so fine an example of craftsmanship, but I believe I could part with it for 250 silerons.

Dragon: It is not quite that good. I'll give you 200.

Merchant: I'm not sure.. it is a shame to se such a beautiful weapon to go for so little...

Dragon: It is my last offer, take it or leave it.

Merchant: Very well, 200 it is.

The dragon reaches for his money satchel, but suddenly there is a commotion. In a few seconds, the merchant is suspended in the air by the Dragon's hand around his throat, the sword pricking his rather large belly.

Dragon: How dare you ask from payment from me!! Do you realize who I am? I am Yentraal the Drahkil!

Merchant: Of... of course sir.. you need only have said.... I would never think.. never... please, just let me live! I ment no offence!

Then, Yentraal drops the merchant and stares off into space for a moment. In a second, seemingly returning to his senses, He surveys the destruction of the merchant's stall.

Yentraal: What happened here?

The merchant, on his knees now, tries as best he can to placate this obviously insane Dhrakil.

Merchant: My lord Yentraal? You mean you don't know? You...you just...

Yentraal: Are you saying I did this? How could that be. And why do you know my name?

Merchant: You just told me... Do you really not remember what just happened here?

Yentraal: I... I have no recollection... But if this truly is my doing, I am sorry. Take this for the sword. It should be enough to cover the damages.

With this he tosses his entire money bag at the merchant's feet, and quickly leaves the market, lost in though and obviously disturbed by what just occurred. Far in the distance now, unobserved save by one cloaked man standing in a shadowy corner of the market, a slivery orb dances.

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
Scions of Light[/i]
The Never Ending Story Squared[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-04-27, 9:22 PM #13
Macht: This is incredible! Every aspect of the orb I can control by thought alone! If I want it to grow, it grows. If I want it to shrink, it shrinks. If I want it to explode, it...

A loud explosion is heard from atop the obsidian peak and a puff of smoke bellows from the woodland. Macht sits stunned on the ground, his face blackened from the blast. Perhaps wishing it to blow up wasn't such a good idea.

Macht: Woah! I could do some serious damage with that thing... Better not do that anymore. Anyways, I grow tired. I must journey further to avoid being caught. I'll continue east, past the woodland and into the Drathoan Marsh. They'll never think to search for me there.

Macht then formed his hoverpad again, and pointed it east. He quickly flew away and within no time he was halfway to the marsh. Suddenly his orb appeared, without being called. He looked to it perplexed, and saw in it a search party at the lagoon. They had come after the explosion. After it was sure that Macht had seen what it intended to show, the orb dissipated. It was then that Macht realized his error. He had forgotten his coinpurse. He looked to the staff and saw that under light it was shining ever so brightly. So began his torrid maze through the woods, avoiding any and all sunlight in a zipping pattern of weaving and spinning. He would be sure to avoid anyone discovering his whereabouts this way.

Macht: Blasted search party. Forever will they follow if I give them lead. Perhaps I could quiet the stone with a spell... Yes, a shroud of darkness to cover the light.

Macht uttered a quiet chant and the stone went dull

Macht: It worked! They'll never track me now! EAST!

What trouble lies in this shroud of dark? What awaits Macht at the Drathoan Marsh? Find out next time in Exile!

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-05-08, 8:44 AM #14
NSP: i don't want to have this drop down past 10 days, so BUMP. I have a bit written for my next post already, but i've got a TON of schoolwork and a few AP tests coming up, so it may be awhile before i actually complete it.

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
Scions of Light[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-05-09, 5:32 AM #15
( NSP:I'm way to lazy to write for this, but I've read it all thus far, and good job! It's really good. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] )

------------------
I’m not going to die, I’m going to see if I was ever alive. - Spike
It's not your right to decide whether they live or die. They deserve a chance! - Vash
Originally posted by Elana14: i would love a dong like that!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-05-10, 1:03 PM #16
nsp: I've been overly busy and under-creative as of late. But I'll have something for Exile soon. Perhaps even AKT, but I'm beginning to think that perhaps it's over. Never shall we see a huge battle. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-05-10, 1:06 PM #17
NSP: We'd better revive AKT. I posted for that last, so i'll wait for someone else to post, but we really have to keep it going.

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
Scions of Light[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-05-17, 3:14 PM #18
After Yentraal left the market, the cloaked figure also leaves, though down a different side of the market peak, towards the orb.

Cloaked Figure: I sense great power in that orb.. i must keep track of it. Maybe i can discover its origins.

He follows it at a slow pace for only a few minutes before it reverses it's direction and heads back towards the peak. He also turns around, and again continues its path. Suddenly, the orb stops, hovering above the market, though slightly toward the figure. He stops as well, thinking the orb may have discovered his interest. The orb then starts to act strange. It grows very large, then shrinks to a pinprick. Then it returns to its normal size, and again stays still. After a few seconds, however, without warning, it bursts in a violent explosion. The figure is knocked onto his back by the shock wave, and he hears screams from the market. After hastily returning to his feet, he rushes back up to the market to see what happened. On the top, a scene of chaos meets him. Almost all the stalls are flattened, the merchandise scattered. Bodies are flung in every direction. Most seem to have avoided too much injury, though a few have broken bones, and an unlucky few were blasted off the peak to crash to their death many feet below. One of the few uninjured men got up as the cloaked figure surveyed the scene, and walked over to him.

Man: Oh, Crayden, I’m so glad to see you. I’m not sure what happened, really, it was business as usual, and then there was this violent explosion off the side of a cliff. I’m afraid Miriam and Jacob fell off the side of the cliff.

He bows his head, tears begin in the corners off his eyes.

Man: And… and my wife... this was the first time I had brought her here… she was looking at the view… and…

He breaks down, and Crayden supports him as he lets out his grief.

Crayden: There there, dear friend. I’m going to find out who caused this calamity, and make them pay! That I promise you.

Man: Thank you, Crayden. You have always been a great friend to Fiona and I. I wish you luck in this, for the memory of Fiona.

Crayden: Thank you, friend. I fear I may need it, if the power I sensed in that orb was as great as I think. But, now I must be off. I will make a search party to find this fiend.

With this, Crayden moves around the wrecked market, recruiting all the able-bodied men around that are not needed for cleanup, and head off in the direction that Crayden saw the orb approach. A few minutes into the forest, they see a dazzling light in front of them. Crayden and his search party head off in that direction, as fast as they can.

NSP: It's ALLLLIIIIVVEEEE!!!! (Sorry, i saw Van Hesling two times last week.)

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
Scions of Light[/i]
The Never Ending Story²[/i]

[This message has been edited by Noble Outlaw (edited May 17, 2004).]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-05-19, 5:16 PM #19
*CRACK!* ... A fallen branch snaps violently beneath the foot of a member of the search party. The noise echoes through the forest and through the lagoon. The party stops to listen, however, they aren't the only ones to hear the sound.

Macht:under his breath Impossible! How on Earth could they have tracked me so quickly?! I must escape. I cannot be returned. Not yet.

With this, Macht aims his staff to the lagoon. Silently the water rises into the air and spreads across the forest floor. It then freezes into a solid wall of ice 9 feet thick. Then Macht turns his attention to the floor of the lagoon. At the bottom of its depts rested a chest strewn over with many chains. Curious, he levetates the chest and himself and speeds off into the distance. He will hide in the Woodland Dark, despite the fact that no man has ever returned from entrance, Macht wagers that it doesn't mean they never survive.

When he reaches the Woodland Dark, Macht flies in hurriedly. He fears discovery and quickly locates a cave in which he can set up camp. Once inside, he forms a protective sphere to cover him while he rests. Though he does not sleep. Instead he watches the mouth of the cave for intruders.

OMQ! WHAT'S GOING ON!? WHO IS CRAYDON!? DEATH SHALL COME FROM SNIFFING VANILLA EXTRACT!!

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-05-28, 6:12 PM #20
NSP: AAAAAGGGHHHH!!! Too much stuff to do! Term papers, book tests , exams, this, Knights tail (well, maybe not that...), NeS.. just too much! i'll be back in a wekk. Sorry, Yecti. Once school calms down i'll be back to writing. Oh, and you might want to check out NeS. I wrote you into one of my posts.

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-06-28, 8:51 AM #21
NSP: Sorry, i uh... sniffed vanilla extract and died <.< >.>. But, luckily, a random shaman wandered by recently and brought me back to life, so here i am. And, after long last, the continuation of Craydon and Yentraal's story:

----------------------------

Craydon, at the head of the search party which now numbers around 20 men, hurtles through the forest. Using tracking skills, he has been able to follow Macht's path. Though Macht has been traveling above the ground, he was careless in his flight, and left many marks for Craydon to follow. Soon, however, the reach an obstacle.

Craydon: What sorcery is this? A solid wall of ice blocks our path? This mage is powerful indeed.

Search member: Craydon... what does this mean? This wall is immense! Our quarry surely lies beyond, but it is too smooth to climb and seems too thick to break through, and, if that were not enough, it seems harder then stone! Our picks cannot even mark it!

Craydon: Hem... it seems we cannot travel any farther until we find a way past this. We must not let our prey get away! Quickly, send scouts along the wall. It is large, but it cannot be infinite. There must be an end to it somewhere.

Man: As you say.

The man hurries off to his companions, and soon two small groups head off along the wall.

Unbeknownst to the search party, much further into the forest, Yentraal, still lost in thought about the events at the market, stumbles upon another section of the wall. he looks up, intrigued at this unnatural formation.

Yentraal:Well... isn't this something. Out in the middle of nowhere there is a wall of solid ice. I've traveled over this Section of forest many times, and I’m sure i never saw this before. But isn't there a lagoon on the other side? Perhaps that is where all this ice came from. Though how did it get over here, in this wall? There must be some powerful mage behind it.

He walks up to the wall, and tries too look through it. The wall is too thick, though, and all he can make out is his own reflection. Soon, however, he hears the sounds of one of the search parties heading his way.

Yentraal: Oh, this isn't good. I'm not about to be discovered out here after that commotion in the marketplace. I'll be safe on the other side, this seems high enough to jump.

And so, just before the search party reaches him, he jumps into the air and just manages to reach the top of the wall. However, the wall is ice, and he slides over the top and off the other side, to land with a thud on the bank of the now dry lagoon.

----------------------------

NSP: ok, that's all for me at the moment. I'm really sory about the holdup. To make it up to you, though, i'll give you a bit of trivia: he word 'Macht' is actually 'Power' in danish.

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-07-10, 5:28 PM #22
After a long hiatus, we return to our quiet mage now resting uneasy in his sphere of protection. He sleeps -- if you could call it sleep* -- and dreams of terrible things. A party is directly on his trail, and someone... something has managed to scale his wall. He must leave this cave, or explore its depths. The latter seeming more plausible through his subconcious. Just then, he awakens to see that he is still unharmed and alone in his sphere. Curious, he renders the orb once again, and attempts a chant to see what he saw in his dream. Macht is still at this point inexperienced in the ways of most magic, but through guesswork, he does indeed conjur a clairvoyance spell. Just as he suspected, he sees Yentraal leap over his wall, and behind him, a search party attempting to find the end. There most undoubtably is another party in the other direction, and assuredly they will eventually walk around the wall. He must decide where to go.

Macht: *sigh* Why must they tail me so? I know for sure I can't be worth this much to the people of my village. If I go into the cave, the uncharted darkness will provide me with cover. Though I know not what I will find within its core, I believe that a party would not search in here. I must have been doing something wrong that the party can track my movements. I have to take great care in whatever way I choose.

With this, Macht weighs his decision. If he leaves the cave, he will once again have to run to another far away land, and risk being spotted by the party out in the open. If he remains in the cave, though it could prove perilous, he would have a decisive advantage over his persuers. Another wall in here and though he would be temporarily trapped in, they would be indefinitely trapped out. The latter once again sticks prevailant in Macht's mind, and he ventures deeper into the cave.

Macht: The light in here is sparse. I'll create my own.

Foolishly, Macht uncovers the head of his staff. It does not light. There is no sunlight in this place, and its primary source of power is lost. Only his orb, with its soft blue-white glow can provide him with enough light to see his path.

Unknown Creature: mwahahahahahaha!

Macht: Wha!? Who's there? Show yourself! I... I am the brave and powerful Macht. Light Mage of Dark Magic. Show yourself and no harm will come to you!

Unknown Creature: Harm? Speak to me of harm young Macht. I know not what you mean.

The creature's voice is unthreatening. Though startled, Macht now feels slightly more at ease. High and grated, the creature continues to speak. Macht is unable to determine what direction the voice is coming from. But in the shadows just beyond his path, two green eyes lurk. Two eyes meant for this darkness, but two eyes that feed on light.

Unknown Creature: What brings you to these caves young Macht? I see you bring the light with you. Good good. It's been ever so long since I've had the light.

Macht: Why would I speak and disclose my business to something I cannot see? Show yourself!

Unknown Creature: Oh very well. Show myself I suppose I will.

From the shadows slowly lurks a being unlike any Macht had seen before. The creature looked like a dragon, this is true, but not like the Drahktil protectors of his city. More human than they, the creature posessed only scales and a tail. And two giant green eyes. The eyes are what stunned Macht. They seemed to be peering straight through to his very soul. The eyes made him uneasy.

Unknown Creature: Happy now? I've shown myself. Now I suppose you'll want to know my name and such. It's Cryneth. I am the protector of these caves, and guardian of the paths ahead. For 4000 years I've watched over the paths. In 4000 years I've only seen three other people but you young Macht, and in 4000 years, those three have never returned. To my knowledge there is no way out on the other end of all three paths, and you won't be travelling any if you cannot satisfy me first.

Macht: So you mean the other three men, they died in the paths? How many paths are there? And what do you have in there to guard?

Cryneth: Died? I know neither if they died or lived. There are many paths. Each leading to more paths, and more after those. But you know what lies at the end if you succeed. Never has anybody ventured into these caves without a purpose. You seek the book. I see by your staff and your boasting that you are indeed a mage. Only three before you have risked the book's allure. Your people must tell awful stories about the paths.

Macht: I apologize, but I have no idea what you're speaking of. I entered these caves to escape my persuers. A mage I am, but I came here not to seek a book. I've never even heard of such a thing.

Cryneth: And in 4000 years this would be why I get so few visitors. Hehehe. The book that you seek is the Tome of Immansilar. The all powerful mage who created the great divide.

Macht: The spellbook of the mage who seperated the light and dark realms lies at the end of this cave?

Cryneth: I knew you would seek it. But you cannot continue without satisfying me. You must give me your light.

The only light that Macht had was his orb. Unsure of whether he could conjur another he was wary to give it to the strange little creature. What if he was lying? What if there was no book at the end of the paths? What if he was to enter the cave and simply die? But then again what if he speaks the truth? The power that Macht could recieve from that book would be immense. Immansilar could control both the light and the dark. With the book, so too could Macht.

Macht: Do you know a spell to conjur an orb as this?

Cryneth: I do... But you must give me your light.

Macht: Will you recite it for me?

Cryneth: Why?

Cryneth's eyes narrowed and pierced into Macht's.

Macht: I'm in no mood to make deals. If you'll recite the spell you'll not create an orb. Only a mage can produce anything after reciting the spells. If you prove to me that you know a spell to produce an orb, I will give you mine and then be about my way. I'm curious to see what you think.

Cryneth:... An odd one you are. But as you wish.

Cryneth begins to utter the spell, and unbeknownced to him, Macht has been touching his toe with the bottom of his staff. As Cryneth speaks, the staff is learning the spell. As Cryneth finishes, the stone atop the staff lights shortly and fades.

Cryneth: What was that!? That light!!

Macht: I was simply testing my staff to see that I could light my way. Here you are.

Macht guides the orb over to Cryneth, who wraps his arms and legs around the ball of power. As a starving child would bite into an apple, Cryneth sinks his teeth into the orb. It ignites brightly as if in pain, and Macht feels bad for surrendering it. However, it is just an orb, and he will now be able to create another.

Macht: So I'll be on my way then.

Cryneth says nothing, and Macht walks deeper into the cave. As he gets around the bend where Cryneth was hiding, he feels the walls open up around him. He is standing in a large room. He has entered the Chamber of Paths.

OMQ!! And after such a long time I've finally gotten something written for Exile. I hope you like the direction it's taking now. The asterisk before was to remind you that the wearer of Macht's beloved cloak cannot sleep. Though he was able to dream, he was really only in a state of half-conciousness. SO I wonder where this is going to go from here? Any new writers want to step up and take Exile on for a spin?

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-07-10, 10:36 PM #23
/Me does a jig

Its back, its back, its really really back!

I'll get somehting up soon. for real this time.

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-07-14, 8:56 AM #24
Yentraal, after recovering from his long fall, gets up and surveys the scene around him. Though the sun is shining brightly, the wall of ice refuses to melt, and Yentraal still can't see through to the other side, though occasionally he can here a call from one of the members of the search party. Turning to the other direction, he can see the now dry recession where the lagoon used to be.

Yentraal: Now this is power, indeed! Even one of my own race would have trouble copying this feat. Well, at least this now gives me a shortcut to the other side.

And so, he sets off across the drying bottom of the ex-lagoon.

Meanwhile, the Crayden has been setting up a makeshift camp, waiting for one of the scouting parties to return with news of a way around. After about a half an hour, he hears a shout from along the wall, and he looks up expectantly along it, hoping it is the news he seeks. Soon, his hopes are realized.

Runner: Crayden, come quick! We've found the end of the wall! If we move fast, we can been there in less then half an hour!

Crayden: That is a bit too much time for my liking, but we must do with it. Quick, run along to the other scouts and have them make haste in this direction! The rest of us will set off right now. Our quarry must not escape!

And so Craydon sets off at a run along the wall while the runner heads in the other direction. The rest of the search part quickly douses their fires before heading after Crayden.

During all this, Yentraal is still travelling across the lagoon bottom. When he reaches the very middle, after about a half an hour, he notices something rather interesting. There is a deep, square recession in the ground. though the mud has partially filled it in and served to blur it's edges, the bright sunlight has caused it to dry rather fast, and the evidence of the chest's previous position has been left, though Yentraal doesn't know yet what exactly was there before.

Yentraal: Well, now this is interesting. First a wall of ice, then a dry lagoon, and now a place where something was obviously removed. Curiouser and curiouser.

After looking at this for a bit, though, trying to figure out what it was previously, he decides to move on, since the muddy ground was obviously not going to yield its secrets. After another half an hour or so, he finally reaches the other side, and comes to face yet another forest. This one is far more foreboding, though, and the light seems to not penetrate past the line of trees.

Yentraal: Ah, the Woodland Dark. I've heard many stories of this magical forest. Decisions, decisions. Do I go in, and risk never returning? if I don't go in, though, I’ll never know the truth of these woods, and that search party could catch up to me. Hmm.

hesitant to enter the woods, Yentraal walks along the edge of the forest, weighing the risks. Soon, however, he stumbles upon the evidence of Macht's flight. Leaves litter the area in front of the trees, and broken branches are evident in a path into the forest.

Yentraal: Well, someone was in a hurry, and I don't know of anyone that would take a jaunt in these woods lightly. Hmm.. perhaps it wasn't me the search party was after? That's an intriguing thought. However, they can't be that happy with me, either. And, if this person was so quick to take up the challenge of this forest, I guess I shall, too.

Suddenly, he hears a shout from the other forest along the west bank of the lagoon. Looking back, he sees several men emerging, all looking directly at him.

Yentraal: It's the blasted search party again! They must have found a way around the wall. It seems my decision ahs been made for me. Into the forest!

He now turns and quickly runs into the forest, following the impromptu path created by Macht.

As Yentraal deduced, Crayden and most of the search party had managed to round the wall and exit the forest as Yentraal was thinking. Crayden had managed to spot a glint of blue off his cloak, and quickly alerted the others. As Yentraal enters the forest, they give chase around the lagoon.

So, Crayden and his search party have resumed their chase of Macht, which Yentraal unknowingly follows in his footsteps, well, air cloud thingy... you get my point. Will they ever find their quarry? What will happen at the cave? Will Cryneth stop them, or shall they manage to satisfy him? Three paths in the cave... three people with different goals... What will be revealed in the darkness?
[/b]

NSP: Sorry for the anachronism up there, but that line just fit so well. Oh, and about the chest, did Macht forget about it or something? Because you don't reference it in your last post. I can make that work, if you want to do it that way, I was just wondering.

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-08-12, 8:50 AM #25
Ahem

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-08-30, 6:20 PM #26
It was an ordinary box. A wooden chest with a lock and no key. Of course, there could never be a key. Macht was now deep within the belly of the cave, in a wide open room with tunnels leading in all directions. Alone he finally decides to attempt to open the chest. He delivers his first encantation, and the lock on the chest does not yeild. This could take a while. Again, through guesswork he attempts to unlock the chest. In the corner, two familiar green eyes are watching him. Waiting for him to conjur more light than the staff.

NSP: I know it's not much, but I'm dry, and I couldn't let it slip any more.

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-08-03, 9:10 PM #27
The young Mage sat for days attempting encantation after encantation. Spell after spell. Hex after hex. He grew more and more weary with each passing failure. The chest simply would not open.

It was then that he muttered one final spell. Nothing. The lock and chain were still in place, and still guarding whatever was inside the chest.

Macht: Damn thee vile tumblers! I wish I had never found this forsaken chest. It will certainly be the death of me.

It was then that the lock began to glow. First yellow, then orange, then bright white. The heat it was emitting was enough to make Macht drop the chest and back away for fear of being burned alive. The lock and chain melted, and fell to the ground below the chest.

Macht: Ater all that, it just self destructs?! What in the holy hell was that about?! DAYS I spent reciting EVERYTHING I knew.

Frustrated, Macht inched toward the chest. He came upon it and nothing of interest occured. He crouched over the chest, and cautiously opened its lid. Inside he found a stone. It looked much like the stone he had tumbled for his staff. Same size and dimensions. But it was blue in color, and shone brightly even in the lack of light he had around him.

Beneath the stone lay a note: "Dear wandering Adventurer. This staff's head will garner you great riches, and deep debts. Victory and undenyable defeat. Happiness and deepest sorrow. Darkness within the light. -Immansilar

Macht: Immansilar!? AMAZING! Finally a bit of hope for my journey! But why so many contradictory statements? No matter.[/i]

Macht tore a bit of cloth from his cloak and wrapped his Obsidian stone in it. He then noticed that the spot of fabric he had removed had repaired itself. "Queer", he thought. He then topped his staff with the blue stone from the chest, and it began to glow with a brightness he had no way of expecting.

Just then, Cryneth cried out in pain from the shadows, the light was even too much for the eager creature. His eyes clouded over in a milky white fog and he was forever shrouded in dark, blindness enveloped him.

Cryneth: NOOOOOO! What trickery is this? Killed my sight you have! Nasty evil wizard you are! Why would you ruin my sight?! Why?!

Macht: I did nothing! It was the stone! The stone has a power the likes of which I have never seen!

Cryneth muttered something incomprehensible under his breath, and slumped over. He was no longer breathing. His body withered before Macht's eyes, and he vanished in a cloud of dust. 4000 years without dense light had made him frail and weak. He simply could not handle the intensity with which the stone shone.

Macht stared in disbelief that his only companion was now gone. Though he wasn't much of a companion, Macht now felt completely and utterly alone. Nobody had ever made it out of these caves, and now he was alone.

He then decided to pick a path. He aimed the staff in the direction of each path, it glowed brightest to the North. Trusting that the stone sensed a great power in that direction, Macht took to running down the path. As he delved deeper into the dark, damp cave, the staff continued to light his way in a blue light as bright as day.

However, alone he was not. There was something else in that cave with the young Mage. Something that knew where each of the three explorers were. Something that knew where Macht was at all times. .....

The growl from the cave stopped Macht dead in his tracks. He looked around to see if he could find the source of the sound, but was surrounded by nothing. It was then that he noticed he had stopped in yet another round "hub" within the cave. There were 9 paths pointing in all directions around the cave. His staff dimmed whenever he pointed it down any path.

The dark laugh forced Macht into a trembling panic. He decided to put up camp for the night. He found two large sticks and propped them up. He draped the cloak over them. However, once the cloak was removed, he fell to the ground unconcious. The young Mage had not slept in weeks. It would be days before he would awake...

What terrors await our young friend in this cave? Why will his new-found staff not direct him as it has before? What sort of beast is creating the unholy sounds that plague him!? Find out next time in Exile.

OMG!? THE STORY ARE BACK! SOMEBODY PLEASE POST AND HELP KEEP IT ALIVE! NEW WRITERS, OLD WRITERS, ANY WRITERS!!
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-08-05, 3:33 PM #28
<just keeping it fresh>
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-08-15, 7:46 PM #29
<Wow... even the crickets are laughing at my attempt>
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2007-03-30, 2:13 PM #30
BUMP. Anybody can feel free to add to this story. Noble Outlaw and I took a lot of time to build these characters, and it'd be fun to see somebody go somewhere else with it. I keep trying to revive it, but nobody ever helps.
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

↑ Up to the top!