Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → Saber fighting idea
Saber fighting idea
2002-04-03, 5:50 AM #1
Heya,

first of all, this probably has already been posted elsewhere, and I'm sure I'm not the first one to come up with the idea, but read anyway (plz [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif])...

You probably have noticed that saber fighting in JO is spectacular and intense, but is suffering from a total lack of control.

So, my (original) idea is to give the player(=you boys and girls) the possiblity to have full control over the saber swing.

How? The current system works like this: when you click the attack button, the game checks what direction you are running in, then you attack, depending on your movement. A good and simple system, but, as I said, with not enough control.

My suggestion: The current attacking system remains, but with the implementation of an extra button (no name found yet).

If you hold down this button, and move your mouse in a direction, your view won't shift anymore, but your saber will follow, to some degree, the exact trace of your mouse.

Example: Hold the button, drag the mouse left horizontally, et voila, a horizontal saber slash to the left is born.

Please react! (or d13)
2002-04-03, 6:17 AM #2
A very good Idea.
Do you know the Game "Die by the Sword"?
The Fighting System in this game is like your idea.

[This message has been edited by MrFair (edited April 03, 2002).]
2002-04-03, 6:36 AM #3
They used that system in Star Wars Obi-Wan, I think.
2002-04-03, 6:55 AM #4
And if you want another example of that system, try Silver Fun Hack'n'Slash game.

It worked in Silver because it was top down yet 3d and thus you didn't need to plan along the Y-axis.

Just fun flicking the mouse back and forth, left-to right, watching your character mimic your movements hacking through a horde of meter tall imps sending them flying. Then pulling of a 180 backslash to catch the sneaky ones off guard and finally finishing them all of with a "butcher" leaping-overhand slash special move. Oh and it was also neat fighting with two swords.

*sigh* those were the days [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

I don't see why more games use the system, though to be honest, I found DbtS's system to be to complicated and my swordfighting with it was too erratic. It was neat though that you could impale yourself accidentally by pouncing on some swordsmen from above and landing on their blade, or how you could amplify the amount of damage caused simple by twisting the view (and hips) along the axis of the strike.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2002-04-03, 10:45 AM #5
Something would be great.

Maybe I suck, but I feel things get out of control quite easily. I think part of the problem is that you have to hit the strafe button to get a nice side swipe, which means while trying to make your swing, you are moving away from the target.

Personally, I have no idea why they did this. I'd rather he always swing sideways since this is always the most likely way to score a hit. I'd rather the strafe keys cause a TOP-DOWN strike instead. But c'est la vie.

I guess with practice it will get easier, but right now it seems sortof out of control.

I have noticed that when dueling against the same NPC with the same AI, I will sometimes beat it without taking a single point of damage, and sometimes I lose up to 90% of my health. That seems like a pretty extreme variance- so extreme that I am wondering if the interface is as much or more to blame than user skill (or lack thereof! ;p ).

------------------
-Michael

Online Role Playing at its Finest
http://www.threshold-rpg.com
2002-04-03, 11:04 AM #6
I thought the idea of using the mouse to swing the sabre was intended for the game in the first place. So imagine how dissapointed I was when I finally got the game and found that I had to strafe,walk forward,walk backwards or jump to control the sabre. Mouse control should have been in the game from the start. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic game. But it tends to feel a lot like JK1 and sometimes I find myself button-bashing when what I press on the keyboard seems disjointed from what's happening on the screen. It's up to the modders, again, to put things right.
2002-04-03, 11:09 AM #7
I'm actually glad they stuck to the basics from JK1, sometimes venturing out to far can ruin a game. A mouse swing would be fun but there are many problems with trying to accomplish this. I sould like to see some other games really perfect it before they throw it into a great game like Jedi Knight. I'm just satisfied that its an updated version of a game we all loved.

JK forever,

Avethian

↑ Up to the top!