Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → Editing: the real Deal
Editing: the real Deal
2002-04-04, 3:03 PM #1
Ok, I'll admit, I'm anxious to get into editing too. I've seen a lot of rumors and jargon being tossed around, but what I want to know is, where do we stand on MP level editing? Can we create maps now, using Radiant or whatever, or is that just something people are expecting? Is there an actual level editor being released? If I wanted to make Vodran right now, could I do it? If not, what exactly am I waiting for? And why do they make tables elbow-high if you're not supposed to put your elbows on them?

Thanks for any info. It's appreciated. =)

Dan Rubado
2002-04-05, 8:51 AM #2
Yes, if you wanted to make levels right now, you could...we're waiting on JORadient to be released, we're expecting it within the next week or so, but you can use any of the other radients to make your level, and convert it over to JO later.

btw, Qat Crystalic is the BEST user-made mots level I've played...it got many hours of playtime in my programming class...you should consider remaking it for JO.

-Cho
2002-04-05, 9:01 AM #3
and tables are made elbow-high 'cause it'd suck if you had to stand up and eat at the same time [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]
Do you have stairs in your house?
2002-04-05, 11:10 AM #4
I would imagine your best bet would be with EFRadiant. I'm only guessing this but, Q3's code for things like doors, lifts and trains was very primitive -(trying to give Q3 a new door opening/closing sound was quite a messy affair). That's because it was aimed purely at fast multiplayer gaming (jump pads, instead of lifts?). But Elite Force had a single player adventure so I presume Raven would have tidied up the code for the above mentioned things. I certainly wouldn't recommend adding things like lifts and doors to your map until you get JORadiant.

But, as I said above, I'm only guessing at this stage.
2002-04-05, 11:17 AM #5
It seems that Raven used EF as a bit of a base for JK2, because in a couple of files, I saw Phaser, Klingon, Borg, ect ect.

It was in remark sections tho. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
-Hell Raiser
2002-04-05, 11:30 AM #6
Wow, thanks for the compliment, Cho. Really appreciated. It's good to know I'm not only amusing myself with my silly editing endeavors. =) Of course, the "outside-area-and-base-of-some-sort" is my favorite theme. It's a good bet that my first level will be along those lines. I'm not sure Qat itself would convert very well... that level was all about flow, and with the ease of Force Jumping in JO, I think it would need some tweaking. But knowing that someone else appreciates my efforts increases my anxiety to get back into it tenfold. =)

Okay, so Radient will create levels, but they'd need to be converted. How do you get the current Radient programs to use JO textures? Or is what we're waiting on JORadient for? I obviously toyed with JED a lot, but I haven't played with much else, so I am totally in the dark about how this will work.

Dan
2002-04-05, 12:05 PM #7
You should probably just spend some time in any radiant editor learning how everything works (brushes, terrain, curve patches, texturing, placing entities, etc.). By the time you figure everything out, I bet JORadiant will be released.
2002-04-06, 4:53 AM #8
Will SP levels be makeable? That's what I'm looking for...

By the way...where can I download Qat Crystalic? I remember that level, it was really cool.

------------------
"Rabbits will jump farther if you throw them..."
"Rabbits will jump farther if you throw them..."

↑ Up to the top!